• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

About the running part

Its not that easy now. If you fail the running in the endurance test(1st week of basic) you are put in pat platoon til only God knows when .

If you're talking about the beep test, that's a joke.  6.5 I think men need?  I still walk at that level...

Max

I got my 2.4 km at 10:30-11. That's it. I have no problem with distance (I'm pushing 7 or 8 km right now, aiming for 10 before I even get in), but running a 2.4k faster than that just kills me. Will I be allright?

Temoid said:
I got my 2.4 km at 10:30-11. That's it. I have no problem with distance (I'm pushing 7 or 8 km right now, aiming for 10 before I even get in), but running a 2.4k faster than that just kills me. Will I be allright?

Believe it or not, strengthening your quads, hams, glutes and calves will help increase your speed. Hit the gym. Do one workout of speedwork a week (ie 4x400 sprints with a 2 minute recovery jog in between, 4x800, etc) and do one long run at a nice slow pace each week as well as a "tempo" run at race or goal pace. Trust me, this works! This is a basic plan that most long-distance/endurance runners I know prescribe to.

I have a friend that runs all-out everytime he runs, he completed a half marathon in 1:48, ran the same half marathon one year later and his time did not improve (he was slower by 30 or so seconds). Conversely, I have another friend that ran a 10K race on the same course last year in 62 minutes, this year she had a personal best of 56 minutes...she shaved 6 minutes off her time by training smart.

Temoid said:
might be your form needs tightening up. Check out my thread titled Blisters, Shin Splints, and PT for tips.

You may also want to incorporate some cross-training. Also covered in that thread. After you've read it, if you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.

I lift weights and can squat 200 lbs while weighing 150 lbs. Hitting the gym is not the problem here. Should I perhaps just try and get used to it and shave off 5, 10 seconds at a time? Also, I run twice a week, once for speed, once for distance. Gym is twice a week. Reading that thread now, thanks.

This may sound goofy, but I've started to everywhere. I run to work, to school and whenever I can drag a friend along. It's really helping me thus far, and I can usually do the 2.4 in about 9:30. My only question is, well my instructors expect that pace for distances of 5k and over?

try for 10 km in 40 minutes. Make that your goal. It was our standard in 3RCR Para Coy, and it prepares you for any other Standard you're liable to meet in the CF.

I'm trying out for the reserves now so I have to do the minimum 2.4K under 12 min requirement, and I just ran it this morning under 10 min. I found that with the proper motivation (i.e. group running or something of the sort) you can actually run much further than you expect. I went to Queen's university for a special program and we had the option to run 10K's in the morning, and I could finish that without stopping, now I can barely breathe after my 2.4K run. I guess the speeds differ... and the extra few pounds don't help.

Now before I begin I NEVER tell anyone "that's good enough" but...
10min 30sec is not a bad start.And aiming for 10km will put you well ahead of the standard for BMQ/SQ.

As with everything it all comes with time and pratice,40 minutes for a 10km may seem way off for someone starting out like yourself but give yourself 6 months and you can easily meet that goal.In the mean time set more short term goals such as breaking 10 minutes on a 2.4km or under 21 for a 5km.Keep building up your endurance by running 7-8 km and soon 2.4 will look like a joke.

You seem to have a good attitude on fitness by wanting to enter the CF in great shape.

Good work,keep it up.

Thanks for the encouragement. I Just recently ran 8 km in 40 minutes, half of which was uphill. It was tough, but allright. But 5 km in 21 minutes?  Now that is some freaky stuff I wouldn't like to touch with a ten foot pole :blotto:

EDIT: Trip report for today. Was supposed to run the 2.4k for speed today and failed miserably. Was unable to run even 3 laps with breaks in between - started getting those hot/cold sweats and the back of my brain started sort of buzzing in an uncomfortable way. Felt like absolute crap and gave up. I guess this is going to be me making excuses but I think that this has to do with my current job. I got transferred to a different department for 2 weeks, which are running out tommorow, and I've been doing repetetive work of a machine. Standing one one spot for 8 hours, doing the same thing over and over thousands of times while the meanie of a supervisor gives you an evil eye despite the fact that you are doing the job to the best of your ability. At the end of this week, I'll be on a "week of no work, week of work where I get to move around and move things" schedule and perhaps this running for speed thing will get back in gear again   :(

[/venting about my fitness failure]

Dude, you are not a failure. Realize that now.

Everyone has bad days and bad runs. Even the world's most elite runners have bad training runs. The key is to listen to your body, if it is not a day for good speed work, then chill out, slow down and take it easy. You want the runs to feel such that you enjoy going out to run again. You don't want to hate every time you have a run on the books for the day.

I tell you this from experience. I am a long distance runner, training for a marathon. If I thought myself a failure everytime I had a bad run, I would not be running at all anymore, much less 100km each week.

Keep at it, you will do fine if you keep up the determination that you currently are showing.

Cheers,

Kara

edited for a typo

I've noticed a great difference between running on a treadmill, which I've been doing regularly for a long time now, and running outside, which I rarely do.  Everything is easy when you have a machine and a controlled environment.  I'm heading off to basic in two weeks and I've only recently started running outside.  This is not beause I'm a lazy gym-rat but because in my neighborhood I don't feel safe running at all times of the day.  I have a small window in the mornings to make a run for it (literally) but on most days I can't make it due to work.  What I find helps is doing jumping jacks at home.  They build up leg muscles and appear to build up endurance as well.  But without lying, I'd say I can run for about 15 minutes and be relatively alright (out of breath but alive) after it.  My goal is to increase that time by 5 minutes every day (taking a lot of days off work to make this so) and get to a solid 45 minutes (around 6 km) by the time BMQ starts. 

Amsdel,

You totally got it, man. Just keep it up with the dedication!
I started running in February so that I could be in decent running-condition for BMQ. I never used to run prior to that, so I was a lousy runner (barely could do the 2.4km without dieing every time). So long as you make sure to stick to the training and work hard, I guarantee you'll see the results you want.

Good luck! :)

Thank you.  I'll be working my @## off in the coming two weeks, that much I can promise.  I wish I could've started getting down to business sooner but with 60 hour work weeks on one job and I don't even want to count how many hours on the other one, its difficult. 

Amsdel said:
.  I'll be working my @## off in the coming two weeks, that much I can promise.  I wish I could've started getting down to business sooner but with 60 hour work weeks on one job and I don't even want to count how many hours on the other one, its difficult. 

By the sounds of things your living a working career and making time for fitness,the army needs more recruits like you.Sometimes coming home after a day of hell you feel like crap but you just have to push yourself out and keep going.GOOD JOB!

Fitness will help you out in all aspects of the army,just finished my PLQ and let me tell you the unfit people done very poorly when asked to "drive their body" with sleep deprivation.
I managed to top the course.

Again excellent job,
thought about going armoured? ;D

what would a good goal be to set for entering BMQ with hopes to top the class and excell in battle school? I can do 10 k in 45 mins on a treadmill with my HR @ 159-168 going 8.2 mph. I also run the railroad tracks for an hour (don't know the distance) every other day. I also bike everywhere and sometimes go on the highway and ride around the outskirts of the city for some training-related fun. I can do the 2.4 k in 9:36 indoors or outdoors, hot or cold, rain or shine. I know I am doing well, but I'd like some 'external motivation' that comes from someone who actually knows to do better. It's so much easier to set goals if you have a starting point.

Topping the course isn't important.  Making sure everybody passes is.  BMQ/BOTC isn't an individual thing. 

Max

SupersonicMax said:
Topping the course isn't important.  Making sure everybody passes is.  BMQ/BOTC isn't an individual thing. 

Max

And by helping out weaker members you will look a lot better and may top the course "ready to go".10km in 45 minutes is good but try yourself out on a ten kilometer run outside.Treadmills are OK but are easier than outside running.9:36 for 2.4 km is also respectable,keep at it and the seconds will fly off your timings.

Congrats on joining the army in good physical condition.And try to top it,if everyone trys to top it you will have a good course.Strive for the best.

Back