• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

about non-commisioned forces to Combat engineering

munchies

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm 17, and am very smart and adaptive. I want a job (not sure if i want a permenant career) that requires smarts but isnt too boring at the same time, so this seems like my ideal job. The thing is i don't know much about it... so i wil lask some pretty basic questions most of you guys know the answer to...

-If i join the Reserves right now, and earn the the rank of corperal, will i keep my rank when i decide to do the BMQ and become a Combat Engineer?
-Do Combat engineers (sappers) get paid more than regular infantry, if so, can you be specific?
- Can you give a description on the daily job routine for a Sapper?
- and finnaly, If i become a combat engineer and reach the rank of seargeant, and once my contract is done... quit the army for a while and decide to rejoin again(or if the is a conscription and eveyone has to go to war), would i still have my rank of seargent, or would i have to start over from the rank of private again.

All help is greatly appreciated.

munchies said:
I'm 17, and am very smart and adaptive. I want a job (not sure if i want a permenant career) that requires smarts but isnt too boring at the same time, so this seems like my ideal job. The thing is i don't know much about it... so i wil lask some pretty basic questions most of you guys know the answer to...

-If i join the Reserves right now, and earn the the rank of corperal, will i keep my rank when i decide to do the BMQ and become a Combat Engineer? If you stay in the reserves there is a possibility....if you go Regular then no
-Do Combat engineers (sappers) get paid more than regular infantry, if so, can you be specific? No
- and finnaly, If i become a combat engineer and reach the rank of seargeant, and once my contract is done... quit the army for a while and decide to rejoin again(or if the is a conscription and eveyone has to go to war), would i still have my rank of seargent, or would i have to start over from the rank of private again.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Combat Engineers are members of the Military Engineer branch of the Canadian Forces. Their job is to ensure that friendly troops can live, move and fight on the battlefield, and deny the same abilities to enemy troops. They also perform duties in aid of the civil power and civil authority; participate in peace-support operations; perform construction and maintenance tasks in support of the CF and other government organizations; drive and operate vehicles and equipment in support of Engineer Operations; and maintain field installations and facilities.
Basic Military Qualification

The first stage of training for everyone is the 13-week Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) course at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. This training provides the basic core skills and knowledge common to all trades. It is also physically demanding. A primary goal of this course is to ensure that all recruits attain the CF physical fitness standard. BMQ covers the following topics:
policies and regulations of the Canadian Forces;
CF drill, dress and deportment (the “three Ds”);
basic safety;
first aid;
personal survival in nuclear, biological and chemical conditions;
handling and firing personal weapons;
cross-country navigation; and
personal survival in field conditions.

Soldier Qualification

On successful completion of BMQ,Combat Engineers go to a MilitaryTraining Centre for the Soldier Qualification (SQ) course, which lasts 20 training days and covers the following topics:
Army physical fitness;
dismounted offensive and defensive operations;
reconnaissance patrolling;
advanced weapons-handling (working with grenades, machine-guns and anti-tank weapons); and
individual field-craft.

Basic Military Occupational Training

On completion of SQ, Combat Engineers go to the Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics at CFB Borden, Ontario for two weeks of driver training. On successful completion of driver training, Combat Engineers go to the Canadian Forces School of Military Engineering at Gagetown, New Brunswick for Basic Military Occupational (MOC) Training, which takes about 20 weeks. It covers the following material:
Construction of field defences and obstacles;
Construction of roads, airfields and helicopter landing sites;
Construction of rafts and bridges
Operation and maintenance of water points;
Radio communications for combat arms operations;
Mathematics, military writing, basic military organization, and military history;
Personal camouflage and camouflage of section positions;
Operation of troop weapons and section defensive tasks and procedures;
Basic procedures of rigging and firing of explosive charges, minelaying and booby-trapping; and
Use and care of section tools and safety equipment.

:nod:ALL TAKEN FROM THE WEBSITE  forces.ca

And you will never be sergeant after the end of your contract

-If i join the Reserves right now, and earn the the rank of corperal, will i keep my rank when i decide to do the BMQ and become a Combat Engineer?
That depends on many things, such as your equivalent time-in when converted to full days of service, as well as qualifications that you are granted when you complete a Component Transfer.  These are done/granted on a case by case basis.

It also depends on what trade you are coming from in the Reserves.  If it includes an Occupation Transfer as well, that would factor in.

That would depend on how long you were out of uniform and the needs of the CF at the time.  I've seen people who went down in rank from WO to Cpl, MCpl to Pte, MWO to WO, upon re-entering the CF after releasing or CTing to the Reserve Force and then CTing back to the Regs again.

Again, this is something that is done on a case by case basis.  There are timelines for these things, but I am not sure what they are and won't speculate.  Maybe a RMS Clerk with some Release Section experience or forum members who have dealt with this can add their 2 beans.

Hope that helps some.

elementqka said:
Combat Engineers are members of the Military Engineer branch of the Canadian Forces. Their job is to ensure that friendly troops can live, move and fight on the battlefield, and deny the same abilities to enemy troops. They also perform duties in aid of the civil power and civil authority; participate in peace-support operations; perform construction and maintenance tasks in support of the CF and other government organizations; drive and operate vehicles and equipment in support of Engineer Operations; and maintain field installations and facilities.
Basic Military Qualification

The first stage of training for everyone is the 13-week Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) course at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. This training provides the basic core skills and knowledge common to all trades. It is also physically demanding. A primary goal of this course is to ensure that all recruits attain the CF physical fitness standard. BMQ covers the following topics:
policies and regulations of the Canadian Forces;
CF drill, dress and deportment (the “three Ds”);
basic safety;
first aid;
personal survival in nuclear, biological and chemical conditions;
handling and firing personal weapons;
cross-country navigation; and
personal survival in field conditions.

Soldier Qualification

On successful completion of BMQ,Combat Engineers go to a MilitaryTraining Centre for the Soldier Qualification (SQ) course, which lasts 20 training days and covers the following topics:
Army physical fitness;
dismounted offensive and defensive operations;
reconnaissance patrolling;
advanced weapons-handling (working with grenades, machine-guns and anti-tank weapons); and
individual field-craft.

Basic Military Occupational Training

On completion of SQ, Combat Engineers go to the Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics at CFB Borden, Ontario for two weeks of driver training. On successful completion of driver training, Combat Engineers go to the Canadian Forces School of Military Engineering at Gagetown, New Brunswick for Basic Military Occupational (MOC) Training, which takes about 20 weeks. It covers the following material:
Construction of field defences and obstacles;
Construction of roads, airfields and helicopter landing sites;
Construction of rafts and bridges
Operation and maintenance of water points;
Radio communications for combat arms operations;
Mathematics, military writing, basic military organization, and military history;
Personal camouflage and camouflage of section positions;
Operation of troop weapons and section defensive tasks and procedures;
Basic procedures of rigging and firing of explosive charges, minelaying and booby-trapping; and
Use and care of section tools and safety equipment.

:nod:ALL TAKEN FROM THE WEBSITE  forces.ca

And you will never be sergeant after the end of your contract

*cough* Most of the above applies to the REGULAR FORCE *cough*

For the Reserves you would do your BMQ with your unit or units in your area, SQ would be handled by your Area Training Centre, and your trades course would be in sunny Gagetown, NB and will either be 6 weeks or 12 weeks long. Depending on if you can get loaded on the first serial which will include all MODS or on the later serials which covers either the first 3 or 4 MODS and then return the following year to complete the remaining 4 or 3 MODS.

Some info from the forces website is out dated wrt Engineer Trade and some are not even covered on the basic trades course.......

munchies said:
Okay, colour me stupid.  How would you get your corporals without BMQ?  ???

munchies said:
I'm 17, and am very smart and adaptive...

...If i join the Reserves right now, and earn the the rank of corperal...

...would i still have my rank of seargent...

They don't hand out rank like speeding tickets at a race track. It might take you 2 yrs or more to make Corporal, and 5-8  yrs or more to make Sergeant, and I might be too generous here for time.

You got a long row to hoe, Munchies.

OWDU

elementqka said:
Soldier Qualification

On successful completion of BMQ,Combat Engineers go to a MilitaryTraining Centre for the Soldier Qualification (SQ) course, which lasts 20 training days...

The information/job description sheet I picked up from the recruiting office mentioned that SQ runs for 10 weeks. I've also read something that says it runs for 10 days.

Any help in clearing this up would be appreciated. I'm going in for my interview on Tuesday.

Sentinel79 said:
The information/job description sheet I picked up from the recruiting office mentioned that SQ runs for 10 weeks. I've also read something that says it runs for 10 days.

Any help in clearing this up would be appreciated. I'm going in for my interview on Tuesday.

The BMQ Land (the new name for the SQ course) is 20 training days.  Here is a thread dedicated to the course: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23622.0.html . you should find all sorts of info about the course there.

munchies said:
Try here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22088.0.html

NFLD Sapper said:
your trades course would be in sunny Gagetown, NB and will either be 6 weeks or 12 weeks long. Depending on if you can get loaded on the first serial which will include all MODS or on the later serials which covers either the first 3 or 4 MODS and then return the following year to complete the remaining 4 or 3 MODS.

Wasn't very sunny last summer....

Thought I'd mention the 3's are now 14 weeks long for Reserves. They added bridging to the 3's.

ZipperZ said:
Thought I'd mention the 3's are now 14 weeks long for Reserves. They added bridging to the 3's.

I know....... I happen to be an instructor at/for/from CFSME.....

So if im reading this right...if i get my corpral in reserve Combat engineering and decide to CT i wont keep my rank? :cdn:

Did you read this part?

Eye In The Sky said:
That depends on many things, such as your equivalent time-in when converted to full days of service, as well as qualifications that you are granted when you complete a Component Transfer.  These are done/granted on a case by case basis.

It also depends on what trade you are coming from in the Reserves.  If it includes an Occupation Transfer as well, that would factor in.

readytogo said:
So if im reading this right...if i get my corpral in reserve Combat engineering and decide to CT i wont keep my rank? :cdn:

QL5 (aka Section 2I/C) for PRes and Regs are different, so at most you would be a hooked Spr if you CT'd......

Back