• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

About Libya

munchies

Inactive
Reaction score
Because i hav'nt even seen one thread in this section about the Libya situation.. and it potentially affects you all.
So me, being an avid thinker on these current political subjects... am wondering what you soldiers think about the situation in Libya. Because at least 75% of people i know that are smart are against this.

So what do you guys think of this situation?

Or do you guys not think, just act under given orders?

I ask because I'm curiouse... we have a potential WW3 brewing and all you guys are off thinking... i don't know, it's why I'm asking!

Hi - welcome to Milnet.ca.

Great way to jump into the conversation - we look forward to you making many friends here with your 'tude.

Since the "Search" function doesn't seem to be working in your part of the interwebs, check here:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/99510.0.html

Enjoy your stay here at Milnet.ca.

:pop:

Also, a bit of free advice, worth every cent you spent on it - given this:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/95662/post-959537.html#msg959537
you might want to try less talking/typing, more listening/reading.

munchies said:

I ask because I'm curiouse... we have a potential WW3 brewing and all you guys are off thinking... i don't know, it's why I'm asking!

Are we thinking or aren't we? Mongo confused. Mongo hungry because of your name. Mongo go eat now. What were we talking about?

munchies said:
Because i hav'nt even seen one thread in this section about the Libya situation.. and it potentially affects you all.
So me, being an avid thinker on these current political subjects... am wondering what you soldiers think about the situation in Libya. Because at least 75% of people i know that are smart are against this.

Well......Looking at your posts, you are young and have yet to gain the knowledge and experience to be getting into this discussion on these forums without really facing a lot of counter points to your arguments.  Not only that, looking at your posting history, you are all over the map with your opinions.  I am not sure your current views of Libya match what you said about other nations.

munchies said:
I'm 17, and am very smart and adaptive. I want a job (not sure if i want a permenant career) that requires smarts but isnt too boring at the same time, so this seems like my ideal job. ...

munchies said:
So i want to join the army right this instant.

My plan is to go to military college and then join the army.

munchies said:
who cares what the stupid Afghanistan press thinks or the Afghanistan people. we go there to do a job and we do it regardless of what people think so just do your thing... they are the country of the enemy anyways

munchies said:
well we are going to do what we have to do regardless of what the Iraqis have to say. sure if the government said something that would be different. But if the iraqi press wants to be an emotional ***** it shouldn't matter... If there are going to be people killing or becoming a threat becauwe the iraqi press tells stupid stories than maybe its good that they do somthing and our army does somehitng about them

munchies said:
So im turning 18 and want to join the canadian army infantry... But im hearing that all regiments are full or somthing?

Too much 360....really needs to get a grip and a life....other than "Black Ops"....

Lol maybe you should stop looking at other posts and trying to judge me and just answer the questions :p the search button is working, i searched libya and like 4 threads from months ago.... nobody gave me an oppinion yet on Libya.... All you guys proved is that you dislike the thought of this thread.

You guys just try to discredit me and use that as reasonable evidence for the subject at hand :p its only detracting... is this how the military works? ive done a lot of growing up since those posts and have a very broad outlook on life with all of the research I've been doing. Lets hear what you guys have to say, cuz it doesnt seem like much.

There's an entire thread with people discussing why or why not we should/should not be intervening in Libya. Obviously the search button didn't work that well for you.

I'll tell you what I think.

I think that I have observed the situation correctly and avidly over the past few weeks, and based on those observations I'll present a course of logic. See if you follow it.

A substantial portion of the Libyan people are sick of Ghaddafi. They engaged in peaceful protest to attempt to achieve governmental reform. Ghaddafi didn't like this, and deemed it necessary to deploy his military against his own population. Air strikes were noted on protests weeks ago.

Since then, several cities (e.g., Benghazi, Misrati) have risen up against Ghaddafi. Some of the army and air force have gone with them, but predominately what we see is a large portion of the civilian population willing to fight, but unable to face off against a properly equipped (albeit questionably trained) military. They showed up with a knife to a gunfight and have fought anyway.

Predictably, Ghaddafi's forces have quite successfully massacred rather a lot of people. The rebels/insurgents (which is what they are- I do not use either term perjoratively) have been hit hard, and the attacks by Ghaddafi's forces have been quite indiscriminate.

In (finally) steps the U.N. All of a sudden, holy crap, international law and process are actually followed. We end up with U.N. Security Council resolution 1973 that essentially says that civilians are being killed, and that under Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter a no fly zone is authorized and any necessary measured will be used to protect civilians.

All of a sudden, a new option is on the table. When a T-72 tank goes up against civilian protesters, it is now legal for a French Rafale jet to drop a bomb on it. Imagine that- suddenly being in an armoured vehicle with tens of tons of steel and a huge thermal signature becomes a liability. The playing field is leveled, as it were.

Now, I might not be much of a thinker - I'm six years into my four year degree due to an interlude in Afghanistan, and at a questionable university at that - but I cannot help think that when a U.N. security council resolution explicitly authorizes the use of armed force in protection of a civilian population, and our nation deploys limited military force in direct support of those specific ends, we're *probably* on the right side in this one. Others see it differently. But if I saw my neighbour kicking his four year old son around his front lawn, you bet your *** I'd step in willing to punch him in the face if it became necessary to protect that kid. It's a crude analogy, but not entirely out to lunch.

The alternative is we stick our heads back in the sand, allow Ghaddafi to massacre his own, and feel good because we haven't meddled in 'internal affairs'. The days of a strictly Westphalian concept of sovereignty are gone; in my opinion id died in Rwanda in 1994. Now there is an expectation that when you are entrusted and empowered to lead a nation and to have a population subject to your whims, you will exercise a modicum of humanity and decency. And if they decide they've had enough of you and you literally fight that choice with all the forces the state has to bear, it's correct for other forces to intervene with humanitarian aims, and if that means killing some of your army, so be it.

But I'm just a grunt who generally follows orders.

munchies said:

Re WWIII Brewing - I had the misfortune to come across a copy of "The Ford Nation Journal" aka Toronto Sun yesterday.  The full page cover was about the Muple Loafs missing the playoffs again.

The inside pages focused on this national crisis and Toronto Potholes. 23 Pages in there was some coverage.

Looks like their marketing has their reader interests down to a T.

I'm not making this up

munchies said:
ive done a lot of growing up since those posts and have a very broad outlook on life with all of the research I've been doing.

:rofl:

munchies said:
You guys just try to discredit me and use that as reasonable evidence for the subject at hand :p its only detracting... is this how the military works?
No, this is how a bunch of people, some in the military, some not, posting on a privately-owned forum, Milnet.ca, works.

munchies said:
ive done a lot of growing up since those posts and have a very broad outlook on life with all of the research I've been doing. Lets hear what you guys have to say, cuz it doesnt seem like much.
Does all that research include clicking on the link I shared with your earlier for the thread already in play on what's happening in Libya?  Did you even try clicking on it and reading?  Or are you just wasting our time?

You won't be wasting any more of mine.  Like I said before, enjoy your stay at Milnet.ca.

munchies said:
Lol maybe you should stop looking at other posts and trying to judge me and just answer the questions :p the search button is working, i searched libya and like 4 threads from months ago.... nobody gave me an oppinion yet on Libya.... All you guys proved is that you dislike the thought of this thread.

You guys just try to discredit me and use that as reasonable evidence for the subject at hand :p its only detracting... is this how the military works? ive done a lot of growing up since those posts and have a very broad outlook on life with all of the research I've been doing. Lets hear what you guys have to say, cuz it doesnt seem like much.

If you don't start using the spellcheck, punctuation, capitalization and proper grammar, you're going up the warning ladder fast. Your current style makes your posts too painful to read, let alone take seriously. It also contradicts our user guidelines.

Milnet.ca Staff

Back