• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A US Großer Generalstab?

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Excerpts from a post at Tom Ricks' Best Defense:

Where is the next generation of generals?
http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/07/02/where_is_the_next_generation_of_generals

Here's a comment from Beau Cleland, who is now studying strategy at Johns Hopkins SAIS but used to play football for Georgia Tech, and later suited up for the U.S. Army in Sadr City and Oruzgan Province, among other places. It's not often you get a column from an artillery officer who was attached to the SF, so gather round and listen up. 

' The recent controversy over the remarks by and subsequent relief of Gen. Stanley McChrystal highlights a severe but seemingly intractible problem with the way senior leaders are developed in the U.S. Army. To be successful and have a chance at attaining a general's stars, officers are expected to move sequentially up a series of positions, from platoon leader to brigade commander, "checking the block" at each level as they advance. Many of these positions are a requirement for advancement, limiting flexibility in assignment. This system has been in place for decades, and only the feeblest of changes have been made to it, despite nearly nine years of war.

The Army officer personnel management system rigidly creates excellent fighters and technicians whose skills, as Greg Jaffe notes, apply only tangentially to the requirements of being general officer in today's conflicts. All along the chain, there is a fundamental mismanagement of talent...

...19th-century Prussia (later Germany) offers us an interesting alternative to our current crushing mediocrity: the Generalstab  (General Staff) system of old. The old Prussians are usually depicted as mechanical, monocle-wearing stiffs, but they had a remarkable knack for identifying young, talented officers and placing them into the General Staff's separate system of education and advancement. Certainly their system was not without its drawbacks (militarism, an insular, monkish outlook), but they were on to something with identifying and separating talent early on, and then training that talent in the skills needed for operating at the higher, operational and strategic levels of warfare...'

Mark
Ottawa

Somehow I think he was mis-quoted with "check in the block".

Hmmm, I stand corrected and admit I got that one wrong.  What the heck is a check in the block, then? 

Until now I had never heard/seen it said/written any other way than "check in the box".

For the record:
"check in the block"
Advanced search
About 9,040,000 results (0.18 seconds)

"check in the box"
Advanced search
About 26,400,000 results (0.28 seconds)

I'm righterer by nearly a 3:1 margin.

That form is in a different context though.

They are using "block" like we would use "para"(graph) or "line", as in "The reference is in block 5", or "On your leave pass fill out your service number in block 1".

That's not the same as the saying "check in the box" which evokes an image of checking off a shopping list or a to-do list with the little boxes beside the "blocks".

It's the boxes you're checking, not the blocks.

Deep down I know you know it's "check in the box" and not "check in the block".  You're just probing my defences and pushing my buttons  ;)

Petamocto said:
Deep down I know you know it's "check in the box" and not "check in the block".  You're just probing my defences and pushing my buttons  ;)

No, I'm showing you that the US Army regularly uses the term "block" to describe sections of forms that need to be filled in, just like we regularly use "box" in that context.

But the way we use "box" on a leave pass is not even the same context as when we use "box" as in "in order become a company commander you need do complete the Adjt tick in the box"

Petamocto said:
But the way we use "box" on a leave pass is not even the same context as when we use "box" as in "in order become a company commander you need do complete the Adjt tick in the box"

Then I suppose you can offer a comprehensive explanation of the origins of that phrase?

Is it a slow day out there in Gagtown?

I'm finding the "problem/solution" linkage in the article a little thin.  The President's picked man self-combusted, and in a bit of a panic the Pres  went for what he hopes is a proven commodity. 

What steps does the author think that people should skip?  When and how do we judge who deserves to get elevated to the fast track?  How in the heck will that help retention? 

Anyhoo. I'm going to go see if there are any chicks on the box.

Might be kind of hard to come across some old Prusian types these days. But I think the german army of pre 30s had its mind in the right place. Some officers are just not meant for generalship, and they are quite happy to not atain it either. Where as now there are plenty of over achievers that are quite ready to advance on the backs of the men. Just my  :2c:

Tango18A said:
Might be kind of hard to come across some old Prusian types these days. But I think the german army of pre 30s had its mind in the right place. Some officers are just not meant for generalship, and they are quite happy to not atain it either. Where as now there are plenty of over achievers that are quite ready to advance on the backs of the men. Just my  :2c:

Knowing a bunch of people who either just got or are aspiring to ROTP and thus, future officers...I can only imagine how bad it must be for NCM/Os. I imagine it's similar with US applicants/whatchamecallems.

Back