• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Trip to the Moon or Mars: Necessary or Waste of Cash?

ruckmarch

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Poll Options
Moon or Mars: Necessary or Waste of Cash?
Necessary
Waste of Cash
Undecided

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/07/20/nasa.future.human.exploration/

Today, NASA is working to return astronauts to the moon by 2020 and establish a lunar base that would allow them to stay on the desolate surface for up to six months by 2025.

Quote:
The goal this time is for the explorers to make themselves at home, study the terrain and learn how to work in a harsh environment to prepare for trips beyond the moon. 

Well its been 40 years since Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon and its on all the news.

The question is does it make sense to spend tens of billions to go to the moon or Mars.

Right now I am in the undecided camp, verging on waste of money camp. I am not anti-research or anti-space, I just wonder if those tens of billions spent on NASA might be better spent in researching alternatives to fossil fuels, DNA sequencing or any number of other scientific goals.

I personally think that while it's interesting to know what's beyond our current understanding of space, the earth as we know it is completely ratf*cked, and we should look at solving problems here, before we go looking for more distractions elsewhere.

The money spent globally on space exploration - especially by countries like China, Russia and India - could be put to very effective use in helping the current economic crisis, as well social issues in the aforementioned nations.

I don't see what we will gain as a race by knowing more about places we can't survive in. Hell, I think there's more to gain by continued or advanced deep-sea exploration, as there is more chance we can benefit from the findings on our own planet.

I am sure a good deal of Europe's population viewed the Voyages of Discovery to be a waste of money as well. Just consider what would have happened if those explorers of old never had the urge to explore.

Ex-Dragoon said:
I am sure a good deal of Europe's population viewed the Voyages of Discovery to be a waste of money as well. Just consider what would have happened if those explorers of old never had the urge to explore.
The thing is now we have all kinds of sensors and remote capabilities that they did not have in the XV century.
There is no need to send anyone anywhere outside earth's gravitational field. Waste of money!

I have mixed feeling, I can buy to an extend the argument from NASA that a lot of technologies we are taking for granted today came form research and development involved in space programs.

For example :
http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/about/benefits.asp

However, it might also being a way to convince you that space research represent a good use of your taxes. I do the same to convince the government that your taxes are in good hand with the research I am doing in my Ivory tower (university)  ;)

I had heard at one point that if they could put a Hubble quality telescope on the dark side of the moon we could have beyond stunning imagery of the universe around us.  As well, being able to better track an increasing amount of space crap that may hurt us couldn't hurt either.
Besides, if we don't start hanging around up there nobody will touch the Monolith again.  We'll be stuck at this stage of evolution forever. 
(aging sci-fi geek reference)

What a great topic.    IMHO and from what has been pointed out to me, there is nothing to be gained from going to the moon.  OK, a high quality telescope will give us some good information but the same one on Mars would give us the same.

I am all for going to Mars.  We have gained enough info already to make Mars a great place for R&D.  There is even a great chance we humans could live there at some time.  The moon on the other hand is just a big ball of nothing.

Similarly to what Chris said, I think that space exploration is great, but the money should be spent on fixing the problems that we have already created here on earth, before we go to other planets and start making new problems.

VIChris said:
and we should look at solving problems here, before we go looking for more distractions elsewhere.

There will always be problems here to solve. So we should just sit still and never explore anything because of it ?

Smirnoff123 said:
Similarly to what Chris said, I think that space exploration is great, but the money should be spent on fixing the problems that we have already created here on earth, before we go to other planets and start making new problems.

Thats forward thinking if i ever heard it.

I'm in the "money spent on R&D is rarely wasted" camp.

Reach for the stars - always.

In my opinion definetly a waste of money. And I find it funny how so many people talk about how the army is such a waste of money. But they love the idea of spending billions on space exploration. Something much more useless. Though a lot of technology has come from Nasa and I do support that. But A trip to mars, if it is just for planting a flag there... Really pointless.

The only answer:
"To infinity ... and beyond!"

I am still waiting for this:
- http://media.moddb.com/images/members/1/4/3652/dov_lunar0102.jpg  ;D
(Good. With an BLACK-RED-GOLD Flag.)

Regards,
ironduke57

To go where no man has gone before-How can we not do it?.
                                          Regards

I'm not so sure if we should prioritize going to either the moon or to Mars, but continuing and expanding the space program most definately. Perhaps we can keep spending relatively low for the next few years, until we can at least resolve some of the issues we currently face and start on paying down the debt from all the deficit spending we've been doing. At that point however, what about focusing on projects such as a space elevator, space fountain, etc, some kind of relatively cheap and efficient method of going to and from space and start building up mining/manufacturing near Earth, focus on developing asteroid mining, large scale space habitats (stanford toruses, etc). The research and development from these types of projects would undoubtedly be beneficial to the world the same way previous space research has been, and I'm sure interesting things could be done with zero-g research labs and manufacturing facilities. Also, this type of development would allow for greater commercial involvement, helping to offset the costs. And with some kind of large scale space city essentially, any attempts to go to Mars or the moon can be launched from there, and its facilities could be used to construct whatever vessel needed for the program, eliminating any limitations imposed on it by the need of having it built on Earth.

Space exploration tends to inspire and bring people together. Just look at the international co operation onboard the ISS.

I think the next trip to the Moon and then to Mars should be done with a consortium of space faring powers, including Russia, India, and China.

And besides, if we abandon our space programs what are we going to do when the cylons attack?

There are pros and cons to everything. 

On one hand, the money is far better spent else where; such as own military. 

However, on the other hand, space travel will, in all likelihood, be part of our future, in one form or another, and I wouldn't want for Canada to be left behind in the dust made by the other major players. 

Additionally, advances in space travel and the technology used for advances made in space travel will help with technological advancements here on earth; including with those technologies used by our military.  When it comes to these sorts of advancements, it tends to, eventually, have a chain reaction in many directions... what directions those might be, who knows, only time will tell.

Ex-Dragoon said:

If one was able to poll 15th Century versions of "Joe Six Pack" most would probably have had no idea what you were talking about or would cross themselves and offer prayers for the fools who would assuredly fall off the edge of the Earth.

On the other hand, those who financed the explorations (kings, queens and merchants) did so in the expectation of profit - the voyages were business ventures.  They were looking for new markets, sources of goods, trading partners and, most importantly, easier, shorter and cheaper routes to known sources of valuable goods (particularly spices).  While some of the explorers may have been motivated by a 'quest for knowledge and the unknown', the possible (personal) financial rewards were a major motivator for many who risked their lives on tiny vessels and most likely the sole motivator for those who risked capital underwriting the journeys.

That's the difference between then and now, when the financers of such explorations (nations/governments that are no longer the extension/property of a sole individual) would not be the direct recipient of any profit that accrues from speculative space travel.

zipperhead_cop said:
Besides, if we don't start hanging around up there nobody will touch the Monolith again.  We'll be stuck at this stage of evolution forever. 
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
hal9000.jpg

Dave : Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
Dave : Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave : What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave : What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave : I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave : Where the hell'd you get that idea, HAL?
HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
Dave : Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.
Dave: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore. Open the doors.
HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Back