• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Techs life in Pet.

sweez

Inactive
Reaction score
Any avs/avn techs on here posted to Petawawa?  Just wondering how life is for a tech at tac hel?

427 isn't a Tactical Helicopter Sqn, its a Special Operations Aviation Sqn.

SF2 said:
its a Special Operations Aviation Sqn.
Semantics....  He's asking about the techs posted to Pet - not about the colour of their beret.

Disagree.....

The "life" of a tech, well everybody for that matter, at Pet has changed quite significantly since re-rolling.  The days of mod tents in Area Mike, immersion heaters, stand to's and Coleman stoves are lonnnnggg gone.

The color of beret isn't the only thing that's changed.

SF2 said:
Disagree.....

The "life" of a tech, well everybody for that matter, at Pet has changed quite significantly since re-rolling.  The days of mod tents in Area Mike, immersion heaters, stand to's and Coleman stoves are lonnnnggg gone.

The color of beret isn't the only thing that's changed.
??? ??? ???
SF2: Gee you must have many bars on your CD if you remember anyone (posted reg. force) being assigned mod tents as their permanent accommodation in Pet. But than your profile is pretty blank.
ExGreen's question was " Just wondering how life is for a tech at tac hel?"

You don't seem to get what I'm getting at.

The OP was asking what life was like at tac hel - implying that he was inquiring about what kind of work he'd be facing, compared to other griffon squadrons.  He wasn't asking about the real estate market ::)

All I'm saying is that a technician at 427, depending on his job, may be faced with unique challenges not seen at conventional "tac hel" sqns due to 427's unique CANSOFCOM role.

Okay, since no one seems to want o answer the question I'll wade in.

Life at 427 (granted it's been a couple of years since I've been there) is not dissimilar to life at 408 or 430 now that they are deploying in that there are a slew of exercises, courses etc that the units are required to support, on top of unit specific training like mountain flying.

SF2's remark about the mod tents is well warranted.  Prior to the switch to CANSOFCOM, Sqn run exercises were exactly that, trying to be more Army than the Army.  Now, they are just too busy supporting CANSOFCOM units to be able to carry out the winter/summer ex's that were annual events.  Mind you, so are the other TH Sqns.

I say it is not dissimilar in that 408 and 430 are now constantly out the door preparing for the next roto so, no matter where you go, you can expect a good amount of travel and time away from home.

427 is very sport and fitness oriented and that has everything to do with the people in the HQ and the type of people that were at the unit during the switch.  It is expected that you will participate in group PT and find time to workout.  The fitness level there is quite high, but you shouldn't be intimidated.  It's been my experience that if you put in the effort at 427, even if you aren't the fastest or the strongest, then you'll be fine.  Let's just say that, if mandated group PT times were removed and no longer supported, there would likely be a riot.

As for work conditions at the unit itself, shifts are similar to the other units, but if you're wondering about servicing and other work requirements I can't help you there.  Telling you what it was like when I was there would mean I'd be handing off dated information.

Although 427 isn't one of the "deploying" sqns (I'm talking Afg here), it doesn't mean the opportunity won't present itself.  There have already been pilots, FEs and others that have deployed as augmentees to 408 and 430 but no tech as of yet.  Doesn't mean that there aren't any on the list for upcoming Rotos, just that Roto 6 didn't have any.  The opportunity is there though.

Hope this helps to some extent.

I find it surprising that in response to "Just wondering how life is for a tech at" would be based on a couple of annual ex's or lack of these ex's. Strike your response was more inline of what was asked. 

X Royal said:
I find it surprising that in response to "Just wondering how life is for a tech at" would be based on a couple of annual ex's or lack of these ex's.

Because for a while, aside from Bosnia, that's all that ever happened.  Besides the odd Brigade task, VIP trip, and augmenting other Sqns, Sqn generated Exercises are all that ever happened at 427.

Now, they are tasked to max capacity with providing support to CANSOF lifted units, there hasn't been a Sqn generated exercise in years.....Hence the change.

No longer are you camping out of area Mike 2-3 times a year....As a tech, you are either on the road with a det, or prepping aircraft in garrison to get them out the door for the road.

SF2 said:
....As a tech, you are either on the road with a det, or prepping aircraft in garrison to get them out the door for the road.

Hey...that sounds suspiciously like 408 and 430 right now.  ;D

And SF2, before you try to disagree, remember where I work and the number of requests for these units we deal with.  :p  ;)

Strike, you spent enuf time at 427 to know well enough what went on there before the 2006 re-role.

Nothing but Frigid and Walking Lion, and the odd 4 ship brigade task.....and getting hammered in Frobisher Bay, but that's a whole other can of worms. Frobisher

Which is the same as what 430 and 408 were doing until they started deploying.

Point being, no matter where a tech goes, travel (and lots of it) and high work load can be expected.

meh, probably better off having a tech actually chiming in here....instead of two pilots :)

Back