• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A quick question about physical fitness

DerekL

Inactive
Reaction score
Since the last post I made, I've been training every day. Last time I posted I dropped from 210-174lbs,  I have now dropped from 174-170. I am currently able to do 100 consecutive push ups and 200 sit ups. I am wondering if this should be enough to breeze through basic fairly easy? I know the basic requirements are really low and I am well over doubled of what they state, but I wanted well over the minimal requirements. I am going to go to my nearest recruiting center in the next week to enlist. My previous choice of trade was either Infantry or a Weapons Technician but now I have changed my mind to either Infantry or a Combat Engineer. If I go Combat Engineer my goal would to become a Combat Diver. After several years (3-5) I was also considering the possibility of being able to participate in Special Forces Selection.(Ultimate Long Term Goal). With that being said, I will focus on everything one step at a time and hope I can deal with basic mentally.

As always, thank you for your time and answers.

DerekL, Edmonton Alberta.

You should do fine. Ensure you don't neglect the cardio aspects of your fitness.

Fitness is one Aspect of Basic Training and military life, make sure to train the part that controls everything(your brain) as well.

Good idea to do push ups the 'military way' (or, rather the PSP way). They were considerably harder for me when I got there. Hands should be directly under your shoulders, so that you can't see your thumbs (maybe hands? - I don't remember) when looking at your back. Go all the way down, without touching the ground and then all the way up.

This is to the best of my memory anyway... someone can clarify if I'm mistaken, but point being - it seems a lot of people have incorrect form when they get to bmq.

:goodpost:

I hear that many people are surprised when they get to BMQ and the PSP staff tell them they are doing their push-ups wrong. The pushups they have you do are exactly like hitman said. They test the endurance of the triceps more than the traditional push up. 

elbows in, no chicken wings.
Your elbows stay next to your sides and are not in a "bench press" position.
The style of pushup is more a tricep pushup with a narrow placement of the hands.  the index finger should line up with your shoulder almost.  It's hard to explain without a video example, just search You-tube and you'll be ok.

if you can do 100 real push-ups you'll have no problem with them during basic.

See this link:  CF ExPres Manual

Push up protocol starts on page 37.  The push up is not a triceps push up, the elbows do not need to be kept at the side (provided the hand position does not change), nor does one have to go all the way to the floor.

Mods, perhaps this manual can be stickied?

Push up video can be found on the CFLRS website  :D

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/ps/rec/ec-pf/index-eng.asp

Read through the manual, and it's reinforced my opinion that everything is dependent on your boss, or in this case, PSP staff.

"The head should not normally be cocked to look forward—such action is contraindicated..." Unless I'm reading this wrong, PSP staff told me to look approx. 18 inches in front to avoid back sagging, as opposed to looking down. I did find this to be helpful...

"Incidental contact of any body part should not be used as a reason to terminate the test, or not count push-ups, 
unless the individual through such contact gains a clear advantage." -PSP staff discounted push ups with any contact with floor. This was mainly a problem with heavy set people or women with large breasts because they were told to go lower for the push up to count, but disqualified when stomach/breasts touched the floor. Sure, this may have constituted 'clear advantage', but what's a guy/gal supposed to do? Clear advantage should be defined, as any contact can be considered advantageous because one can argue it's a 'rest period' regardless of how brief.

"If the individual requires assistance in determining the correct down position, the evaluator may hold an object (such as a ruler) in the air under the individual’s shoulder at the proper height of the down position." This was never suggested as an option to anyone on my platoon, and some definitely would've benefited. As far as I know, it's not a widely known bit of information. After speaking to Warriors at length re: push ups, no one ever mentioned it. Heck, one Warrior needed Standards to attend her express test to get to W3 because PSP kept failing her.

But, that's just my two cents. I'm almost always of the opinion that rules, regardless of how clearly defined, are always at the discretion of those implementing them.

Yes, I understand that PSP personnel vary from base to base, but that is the manual.  Maybe someone should send them a copy?

Besides, I only posted it to show the proper push up position.

As far as stomachs or breasts hitting the floor, I'd say those people might have more problems than push ups not being counted...  :-X

Agreed. It's good to have the manual accessible. If only it was adhered to by the letter!

words you'll learn to hate
"Higher"
"lower"

when doing psp push-ups

and '  :pushup: 16, 17, 17, 17, 18, 18, 18, 18, ok stop' ARRRRRGHHH!!!!!! :pullhair:

That is all true, but let's don't forget guys that the new fitness test will not have push ups. It's more lifting sandbags  more physical .

Is the beep test still the same.. Level 6 to pass? What number to you have to reach for a grip pass?

0010bravo said:
Is the beep test still the same.. Level 6 to pass? What number to you have to reach for a grip pass?

...45 second search... http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/37943/post-1149275.html#msg1149275

There is so much garble on this subject it's hard to get a confirmed answer. I follow the threads and read carefully but opinion always clouds the facts..

Then it may be best to see your recruiter for up to date information.

I leave in 2 weeks to BMQ. Push ups or sand bags is all the same to me. Not worried..

Back