• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A question for the gunners in Shilo-Why Are You Called "The Regiment?"

It's very similar to the way in which all great organizations are referred:

"the Yankees"
"the Bulls"
"the Maple Leafs"

and of course - the Regiment

Man, how many times are we going to have to go through this:

Untrained soldiers belong to a Battalion...trained soldiers belong to a Regiment!

Ok, that was pretty weak wasn't it?  ::)

I've spent 2 hours reading and searching but no answer, I've got timelines but nothing else. This sounds like one for the historians in the"question of the hour" thread.

1716.05.26 two permanent companies of artillery formed at Woolwich 

1722 Royal Regiment of Artillery
original coys regimented with Gibraltar and Minorca coys

1793.02.01 two troops Royal Horse Artillery raised for support of cavalry as part of Royal Regiment of Artillery

1794.03.07  Corps of Captains Commissaries and Drivers
1801.04.01 absorbed Royal Irish Artillery Corps of Gunner Drivers
1806  Royal Artillery Drivers
1822  disbanded
1858.07.03 absorbed 48 batteries from Honorable East India Company
1899.06.01 split into two branches:
  Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery (while preserving separate identity of Royal Horse Artillery)
Royal Garrison Artillery

1924.06.01 Royal Regiment of Artillery
branches reunited under one name

1942.02.24 Air Observation squadrons placed under control of Army Air Corps

Our Branch is The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery (why we have a common hat badge), whereas for example, the Infantry Bn/Regt belong to the Infantry Corps. This has been perpetuated from the RA and I think it is by Royal Decree. Unlike other branches, Artillery are perpetuated by Batteries not Regts. Therefore at one time most artillery were independent batteries, falling under "one regiment" But I don't have references so this is just speculation on my part. However it proof is out there somewhere.

As to the Right of the Line, RCHA holds the postion (precedence) in the Land Field Force if they have their guns. (CFP200). If not then RMC cadets then the RCHA.

QUOTE,
However it proof is out there somewhere.

Well its well hidden.......wheres Skully and Mulder?

Herbie reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Artillery

http://www.wohnungs-suche.com/Raa/info/History2.htm

I asked around in the good ol' C bty lines today and got this as my answer.  As a quote from the 1RCHA site  "The First Regiment of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery is the senior unit of the regular component of the Canadian Forces. The Regiment traces its origin to 20 October 1871, when the first units of Canada's Permanent Force, A and B Batteries of Garrison Artillery, were authorized by Militia General Order No. 24. Stationed at Kingston and Quebec respectively, the batteries also functioned as Schools of Gunnery for Militia field batteries."

http://www.army.dnd.ca/1rcha/history.htm#  Regimental%20History

So being the senior regiment being the first, the finest, we call have always call it "THE Regiment"

My 2 cents...

Back