• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Protesters Response To "The Ex Charging Bison" Thread

Quite the video.

Alas, it seems I am nothing but a tool of US neo imperial world domination.

Why was this Ex done in a city anyway? We have numerous FIBUA and MOUT sites on both sides of the border?

GO!!! said:
Why was this Ex done in a city anyway? We have numerous FIBUA and MOUT sites on both sides of the border?

Yes but those Fibua sites aren't occupied by a civil population.  I'm with CMTC OPFOR in Wainwright and our job is to basically be a civil populous in seacans. aka 'can rats'  :-\ .

Just watched the video - agree with the previously mentioned assessment of the sound track.

Did I see some US-dressed troops around 3:43 into the video?

career_radio-checker said:
Yes but those Fibua sites aren't occupied by a civil population.  I'm with CMTC OPFOR in Wainwright and our job is to basically be a civil populous in seacans. aka 'can rats'  :-\ .

Well, I guess that depends on your definition of civil.

I saw dirty hippies throwing garbage and screeching anti - Bush slogans.

Of course, this may have merit in itself, Crowd Confrontation ops, DOMOPS etc. What an interesting concept!

**IDEA**
For the next round of workup training, go somewhere really lefty, oh say, Victoria.

Two weeks prior, have the PAFFOs get the word out that Canadian troops will be training in Neighbourhood X to assist in US NeoCon world domination Operations.  ::)

When we do get there, there will be a hostile crowd who will make an excellent OPFOR for CCO! We can then practice crowd management, detainment, use of less than lethal technology etc.

When the ex is over, the MPs can also get some trg in to arrest and process them all for creating a public disturbance, vandalism etc.

Thoughts?

I too am late to this thread but was pleasantly surprised to see my old regt. , the FGH, figuring prominently amongst Wall Street Lackey of American Imperialism troops filmed.  And that's about the only good thing about this Michale Moore wannabe production. 

I'll bet the Garrys haven't had that much fun since the infamous Tolstoi MB. internal security ex. 30 some odd years ago when we sealed off the town and were pilloried in the press for just about everything short of machine-gunning the townsfolk as they left Church on Sunday morning.

I add that suggestion to GO !!!'s request for thoughts in future ex. planning. ;D

Don't turn this into a police thing.  We just show up and keep the peace.
The police and military are similar in that they're tools of oppression of the state.

Hahaha, yeah we sure are tools of oppression, what in the hell do we oppress. I personally am not planning on doing the CF as a career as I'm hoping to become a police officer but is this person serious. I was involved with Edmonton Police Service before joining the CF and did a ride along were we responded to a call about a dead body, suicide, assault, etc. I fail to see the oppression caused by them. The truth is that saying that the CF and police are the evil in todays society isn't intelligent, it just gives me a better idea of how people take all of their rights and freedoms for granted. If you protestors want to live in a utopia, go to the former USSR, Cuba, Grenada, China, and see how their visions of a utopia turned out. I'm proud to say that I'm a member of the CF helping to protect you if the situation ever occured, and remember that we will always be there if you are ever in danger.

So did you feel that those four mounties in Mayerthorpe were being used as tools of oppression.

GO!!! said:
When the ex is over, the MPs can also get some trg in to arrest and process them all for creating a public disturbance, vandalism etc.

Thoughts?

If the exercise is taking place within city limits would it not be the municipal police service's job or would it be MP's?

Not sure how that would work with cross juridicail authorities, or would that area where the exercise is taking place be considered a Controlled Military Access Zone (not sure if that is what it's called)

:-\

Go: We started to write this exercise about two years ago. Two of the original aims were:

-to try to "modernize" Res trg so it reflected what the Army was looking at for the modern security environment: operations inside built-up areas, amongst a population, cooperating with civil authorities. This meant doing at least some (if not all) of the ex inside a city of some kind. Since Winipeg was central to the Bde area, offered lots of possible sites, and we had very good relations with the city and the WPS, Winnipeg was chosen. FIBUA sites that I am aware of in Canada are good for teaching specific cbt skills at at a very low level, but are not big enough to create the total environment we needed for the ex. They just don't have the "feel" of a city; and

-to respond to a very clear message from the troop level that they were sick and tired of going to Shilo or Dundurn and doing the same thing over and over again. Although we had already done two major exercises off DND land (in the Kenora, ON area), we wanted to try something completely different. There was no useful FIBUA site in our Bde AO, and transporting everyone to Wainwright was out of the question expense and logistics-wise.

milnews: You saw USARNG troops from 34ID: 38 CBG has a long standing relationship with the Div, especially the "Bearcats" Inf Bn in Minnesota. We had tried several times before to get them up for an ex in significant numbers, but with no luck (although we had been down there a few times, and the TBay units regularly used the MIARNG training site in NE Minnesota)

Cheers

career_radio-checker said:
Well its been a month and thought I'd do some searching on the interweb and I actually found a protest video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0YAPSIWcJQ&search=bison

I found it quit.....uh well not educational...  but I will definately not do drugs when ever I edit any of my videos (nomination for worst soundtrack)

Well, there's 7 minutes of my life I'll never get back!

Well, there's 7 minutes of my life I'll never get back!

Holy...man your so right. They didnt even get my good side!!!

I love how they use soundbytes for some promotional 'Moving to Winnepeg' video, as if these exercises go on everyday. Pure genius with the exageration, that's for sure.

I'm wondering, have these people ever heard of 'Don't shoot the messenger'? Seems they were quite disrespectful to the common soldier, giving them the finger and a hard time and whatnot. That's not effective protesting at all, that's just borderline harrassment.

lern 2 protst l0l.

I was at the camp where you see the protesters giving the figures. It looks like a lot of people but I think maybe 20-25 people were talking but very missinformed...anyone that has served oversea..well you would have had a kick out of the comments they said!! They were all kids...oh and this one old lady yelling at us about the pesticides...I'm still trying to figure out how army and bug control works ..but hey maybe its a new unit opening up. LOL I don't know if the video really does what they are looking for. I think it was alot of good shots of Troop training..but if they were trying to make us look bad ...I don't think that worked!!

Nothing gets me more pissed off then seeing the anarchists running around with their faces covered.  Grow some balls guys. Bunch of rich kids with too much time on their hands.</end rant>

AcornsRus said:
Nothing gets me more pissed off then seeing the anarchists running around with their faces covered.  Grow some balls guys. Bunch of rich kids with too much time on their hands.</end rant>

Stating the obvious - Most of these people have no idea what they are talking about... in their own way they are showing they are just as easily 'brainwashed' as the 'brainwashed' government forces they protest against.

Centurian1985 said:
Stating the obvious - Most of these people have no idea what they are talking about... in their own way they are showing they are just as easily 'brainwashed' as the 'brainwashed' government forces they protest against.

I'm just wrapping up my honours degree at Carleton U in Ottawa - double major in human rights & international relations. It's the only human rights major in Canada, and as you can probably imagine the general political swing of the students is incredibly liberal, myself included - heck I've voted for the NDP twice, and I'll be honest, I love tofu. To finish my degree requirements I was lucky enough to get a final year seminar with the head of the entire program on the War on Terror. Over the course of the class, I admitted to my peers for the first time that I had applied to become an Infantry Officer.

So now people who used to be my friends and classmates. who I used to help out and explain the difficult stuff to, like to come up and ask me how I can want to join the army after everything I've learned over 4 years. They ask me all sorts of ridiculous questions, in fact I've been asked on 7 separate occasions what I'll do when I'm "ordered to shoot a child."

I cannot understand how rational, seemingly intelligent young Canadians honestly believe that members of their armed forces have any interest or intent, let alone the sanction of our government and senior leadership to do anything other than protect our domestic security and promote peace and stability abroad. I realize it can be a difficult logical jump for some people to make that sometimes to protect the greatest sum of humanity it is necessary to eliminate individual lives when those individuals want to commit offensive acts of violence or target civilians.

Unfortunately I once sat through a presentation by General Hillier at my school that was hijacked by protesters asking incredibly insulting questions, and making demands such as that he resign for failing to "protect us from our greatest threat, America." At the end of the day, it is your right in a democracy to protest or demand accountability from your government. You do not have the right to demand that from dedicated servants of the government who give up much of their freedom and personal lives to protect our country.

xmarcx said:
what I'll do when I'm "ordered to shoot a child."
tell 'em "we don't shoot children. It's a waste of bullets. We club 'em like baby seals."

They ain't gonna "get" why we do what we do to protect them, anyway, and you get to watch their faces.

They ask me all sorts of ridiculous questions, in fact I've been asked on 7 separate occasions what I'll do when I'm "ordered to shoot a child."

If I had a time machine and could go back to university I would spend way less time debating international politics and way more time chasing girls in their early 20s, no matter how stupid they were.

Rememeber, grasshopper, anger can be turned to fiery passion in about three shots of Bailey's.  >:D

How you answer the "shoot a child" question depends on who asks:

Option A:
Hot girl asks question: Act as if question is brilliant, plunging you into moral crisis. Buy shooters. Appear interested in topic. Appear emotionally intense. Soulful = ka-ching.
Casually change subject to Anne Rice novels within eight minutes, or mood will die. If she likes Anne Rice, your night just got interesting. Spring for bottle of red wine. Feel the chemistry. Checkmate.

Option B:
Anyone else: Walk away. Your youth is slipping away as you talk to this twat. In a few short years, chatting up 21 year old gymnasts will be looked upon as 'creepy' by much of society. Cruelly unfair, but true. Quick, young man, find that Bohemian sorority sister on a journey of self-discovery. Quickly, time is short!
See Option A when you find her.

Option C:
Idiot from Option B five minutes ago is following you and is in danger of messing up Option A: One option left - Throat punch. As you flee police, bring newfound-soulmate with you if possible. Bonus marks if you remember the bottle of wine.

* I am not a licensed therapist.

probum non poenitet said:
If I had a time machine and could go back to university I would spend way less time debating international politics and way more time chasing girls in their early 20s, no matter how stupid they were.

Rememeber, grasshopper, anger can be turned to fiery passion in about three shots of Bailey's.  >:D

How you answer the "shoot a child" question depends on who asks:

Option A:
Hot girl asks question: Act as if question is brilliant, plunging you into moral crisis. Buy shooters. Appear interested in topic. Appear emotionally intense. Soulful = ka-ching.
Casually change subject to Anne Rice novels within eight minutes, or mood will die. If she likes Anne Rice, your night just got interesting. Spring for bottle of red wine. Feel the chemistry. Checkmate.

Option B:
Anyone else: Walk away. Your youth is slipping away as you talk to this twat. In a few short years, chatting up 21 year old gymnasts will be looked upon as 'creepy' by much of society. Cruelly unfair, but true. Quick, young man, find that Bohemian sorority sister on a journey of self-discovery. Quickly, time is short!
See Option A when you find her.

Option C:
Idiot from Option B five minutes ago is following you and is in danger of messing up Option A: One option left - Throat punch. As you flee police, bring newfound-soulmate with you if possible. Bonus marks if you remember the bottle of wine.

* I am not a licensed therapist.
you, my dear Sir, are a genius! I am humbled at sharing this board with one of your vast intellect and acumen.

"Option C:
Idiot from Option B five minutes ago is following you and is in danger of messing up Option A:"

- Does he have a sister?

;D

Back