• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A new low for refugees in Canada

Definitions of refugee and immigrant apply neither to Byron from the article or my grandfather.  My grandfather entered illegally stowing away on a ship.  I'd imagine Bryon was in a similar situation since after 5 years he still didnt have his status. .  I sympathize with the Dr in the article who wishes health care for all, but since this person wasn't a refugee or immigrant, the changes to refugee health care are meaningless to his story as I see it.  Then again, i'm not an immigration lawyer.  Any immigration lawyers in here to help clarify what status exactly this Byron would have had? 

Canada's immigration system when it comes to refugees is broken, that is a statement from the Immigration Minister.  When the minister responsible comes out and says that, it holds weight.

There are 2 types of refugee's where Canada is concerned:
The first are the UN Convention refugees, those that leave their own country where they fear harm, persecution or death.  They go to a nearby country , apply to be a refugee to the UN and get selected by another nation, of which Canada is one.

The second is  a refugee that gets off a plane or a boat (because you cannot claim refugee status from the US unless you are an American citizen), walk up to an immigration officer and say REFUGEE in either English or french.  These are the people that can afford a plane ticket, potentially a fake passport, even a fake Canadian Visa. At the Toronto airport, there has been as many as 150 refugees a DAY, all from the same country.

The second type of refugees are the ones that are taking advantage of the system, coming here, getting the "free" health care, vision care and dental care.  They never complete their claim, never contribute to Canada and some are even arrested within days of their arrival in Canada, but we can't kick them out, because they are Refugees.

The immigration system is now being reworked so that we are no longer seen as the laughing stock of the rest of the world.  Its still a generous and giving system, but one that you have to earn, not just be automatically granted.

As for this Byron, much like anything you read in the news, must be viewed critically. I can think of many reasons why he was not receiving medical care, but none that I can talk about on an open forum. 

bcbarman said:
Canada's immigration system when it comes to refugees is broken, that is a statement from the Immigration Minister.  When the minister responsible comes out and says that, it holds weight.

There are 2 types of refugee's where Canada is concerned:
The first are the UN Convention refugees, those that leave their own country where they fear harm, persecution or death.  They go to a nearby country , apply to be a refugee to the UN and get selected by another nation, of which Canada is one.

The second is  a refugee that gets off a plane or a boat (because you cannot claim refugee status from the US unless you are an American citizen), walk up to an immigration officer and say REFUGEE in either English or french.  These are the people that can afford a plane ticket, potentially a fake passport, even a fake Canadian Visa. At the Toronto airport, there has been as many as 150 refugees a DAY, all from the same country.

The second type of refugees are the ones that are taking advantage of the system, coming here, getting the "free" health care, vision care and dental care.  They never complete their claim, never contribute to Canada and some are even arrested within days of their arrival in Canada, but we can't kick them out, because they are Refugees.

The immigration system is now being reworked so that we are no longer seen as the laughing stock of the rest of the world.  Its still a generous and giving system, but one that you have to earn, not just be automatically granted.

As for this Byron, much like anything you read in the news, must be viewed critically. I can think of many reasons why he was not receiving medical care, but none that I can talk about on an open forum.

The big difference is between Refugee and Refugee Claimant. As noted anyone can walk up to the desk at Pearson or any other point of entry and say the magic word and the ball starts rolling. Are they a "legitimate" refugee as per the definitions given here and elsewhere, or just someone who wants to come here and take advantage of our social safety net , only time and the courts can then tell. Toss in numerous levels of appeals, "immigration consultants" and it becomes a lengthy and frustrating process, especially if you are a legit refugee stuck in the system while some numpty ties it up because he doesn't want to go back to the old country where working at Wal-Mart pays less than Social Assistance here.

BTW in addition to the claimants arriving on fake travel documents and reporting at the port of entry there are also inland claimants. These are people who after arriving here say on tourist or student visas (or even without for many countries) and then after a few weeks or even months here file a refugee claim. Just a little something to keep in mind with the economic meltdown now happening in Europe.

Kenney is right to speed up deportations
The Globe and Mail Sunday, Jun. 24 2012
Article Link

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney has made a convincing case for a new law allowing the swift deportation of convicted criminals. The infamous example of Clinton Gayle underscores the need for such legislation.

A Jamaican citizen who was convicted in Canada of multiple criminal offences, Mr. Gayle was able to remain in the country long after a 1991 deportation order, because of the immigration appeals process. In 1996, he shot two Toronto police officers, killing one of them.

It is an extreme example. But it was hardly an isolated one. Take, for instance, the case of Walford Uriah Steer, who somehow managed to remain in Canada long enough to be convicted of more than 70 criminal acts by the time he was arrested again last year and charged with multiple prostitution offences involving a 16-year-old girl.

The common thread in these cases, and other less notorious ones, is that the offenders racked up a string of convictions for which they were sentenced to less than two years in prison – the threshold at which those who are ordered deported lose their right to appeal to the Immigration and Refugee Board. So Mr. Kenney is proposing to lower that bar so that only those sentenced to less than six months could use the immigration appeals process.

That proposed change is contained in a fairly expansive piece of legislation, the Faster Removal of Foreign Criminals Act, which merits careful scrutiny before it becomes law. In particular, assurances should be sought that a new discretionary power for the immigration minister to deny temporary-resident status to newcomers on the basis of “public policy considerations” – which federal officials say would be limited to a very few cases – would not be used arbitrarily.

But while some immigration lawyers are predictably up in arms, it is difficult to argue with the bill’s main thrust. The immigration process can be enormously complex, but one principle should be fairly straightforward: The tiny share of immigrants and refugees who lack citizenship and are convicted of serious crimes on Canadian soil forfeit their right to be here.
end

mj_lover said:
forgive me for thinking it would happen after they wouldn't be executed on sight..

Can you please try some  better punctuation, please?

Scott
Staff

Scott said:
forgive me for thinking it would happen after they wouldn't be executed on sight..

Scott
Staff
Or better yet, please stop posting unsubstantiated drivel. You have mistaken this site for agony_aunt.com  ::)

Journeyman said:

Scott
Staff
Or better yet, please stop posting unsubstantiated drivel. You have mistaken this site for agony_aunt.com  ::)

Better yet, lay off the mj...........

awww, there is no agony_aunt.com  :(

Got to love the copy and paste crowd, just throw stuff up there to start the garbage.

I reread the article, and the subject is a failed claimant, therefor, none of the changes will affect him, heck, he is in Canada illegally, with a departure order against his name.

On the same subject, I just found out that strippers will not be receiving work permits to Canada anymore, looks like its just the good old domestic dancers swinging around the pole (and let the jokes begin)  ;D

Back