• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A little help with VAC

Lardofthedance

Inactive
Reaction score
  I've recently been awarded 5/5 for an injury sustained on tour in 1999. It was a pretty bad abdominal hernia and required surgery and hasn't healed properly. I've met with the VAC Doctor and my % decision should be sent to me NLT 24th July. Is anybody able to brief me on what I should expect and what I should accept in terms of percentage. It is back dated to 2008 and a montly pension has been awarded by the VRAB at 5/5ths.

Thanks in advance.

If you have the diagnosis report cross reference that with the disability tables on the VAC website for you specific injury.  It's not an exact science but it will help.  Before you jump to appeal,  remember you can be reaccessed after every 2nd year.  You already have a favourable decision.

I strongly agree with the poster above. The table of disabilities is a great resource that I found helpful in my journey through the VAC nightmare.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities

Take the time to sit with a buddy or family member and go through the assessment guide yourself according to your disability. This is the guide that will later be used by VAC employees to decide your disability award.

I sat down and went through it and came out with a percentage of what I believed I was entitled to get percentage wise. When VAC finally made a decision my assessment and their assessment were very close. IIRC VAC percentage was 3% more than my rough estimate.

Although I am very angry at the NVC and what it has done to veterans; I was pleased with their decision based on the information they had. I believe they made a fair assessment based on these guidelines.

I find many vets will automatically think I'm 100% disabled with injury X!! And I do understand that; and been there myself.

However understanding HOW your decision is made will save a ton of grief/ Anger/ Rage.

I hope this helps.

I received my letter about my disability awards, and have a few questions.

I had applied for 2 different ones. The first one for PTSD was granted. My first question about it is that it says the following:

Your Assessment
-The medical information available to us shows your Post Traumatic Stress Disorder has not yet stabilized. As a result, we cannot assess the total extent of your disability at this time.
-Until your condition has stabilized, we are granting you an initial minimum assessment of 10%.

It goes on from there, but does this 10% mean that the amount I am getting is 10% of the total I might get? I don't really understand all the percents when it comes to disability awards and such.

My second question is about my second claim, which was not granted. I won't type out the exact wording but basically during BMQ I got plantar fasciitis. They said it was not granted because after going through physio, I no longer filed complaints about it. Problem was, both the doctor at the MIR and the physio therapist told me it simply can't be cured and after physio, that is as good as its gonna get so I saw no point in continuing to complain about something that wasn't gonna go away, and I still have a lot of pain from it.

I guess my question is, how hard is it to appeal things and what is the typical time frame?

Thanks in advance.

10% is a 10% disability, which is very simply 10% of the maximum award for a person with a 100% disability.

Most definitely appeal the plantar, they are just pulling the insurance company line that since you aren't in the MIR everyday about it, it must not be a problem. Appeals can take a while.

Sythen said:

I had applied for 2 different ones. The first one for PTSD was granted. My first question about it is that it says the following:

Your Assessment
-The medical information available to us shows your Post Traumatic Stress Disorder has not yet stabilized. As a result, we cannot assess the total extent of your disability at this time.
-Until your condition has stabilized, we are granting you an initial minimum assessment of 10%.

It goes on from there, but does this 10% mean that the amount I am getting is 10% of the total I might get? I don't really understand all the percents when it comes to disability awards and such.

My second question is about my second claim, which was not granted. I won't type out the exact wording but basically during BMQ I got plantar fasciitis. They said it was not granted because after going through physio, I no longer filed complaints about it. Problem was, both the doctor at the MIR and the physio therapist told me it simply can't be cured and after physio, that is as good as its gonna get so I saw no point in continuing to complain about something that wasn't gonna go away, and I still have a lot of pain from it.

I guess my question is, how hard is it to appeal things and what is the typical time frame?

Thanks in advance.

10% is for the initial partial assessment and decisions.  You will be re-assessed by a VAC doctor, one year after application, to see how you're doing with the  OSI, and whether is has stabilized, and then give you a second decision, and amount.

dileas

tess

Sythen said:

If you don't mind me asking, what was the turnaround time between them receiving your supporting docs and receiving the decision letter?

The one year timeline between 10% and your final decision is a guideline. I waited 3 years as they decided I wasn't "stabilized" enough until that time. Couple other friends was the same 2-3 year time frame.

Capt Happy they have a guideline for how long they will take. Again only a guideline and rarely if ever on time or in ball park. IIRC 16 weeks for a decision? (Don't quote that one)

Capt. Happy said:
If you don't mind me asking, what was the turnaround time between them receiving your supporting docs and receiving the decision letter?

Umm honestly not sure. I started filling out the paper work and seeking help last Sept, so it seems like a year. But there's probably a big difference between when I filled it out and when it was received by the proper people.

Thanks for the info from those who gave it. My next question would be about something it says in the paper work about allowing me some time to get a lawyer or other advocate to assist me in the appeal. Is it worth it, or is the process pretty straight forward?

Sythen said:
Umm honestly not sure. I started filling out the paper work and seeking help last Sept, so it seems like a year. But there's probably a big difference between when I filled it out and when it was received by the proper people.

Thanks for the info from those who gave it. My next question would be about something it says in the paper work about allowing me some time to get a lawyer or other advocate to assist me in the appeal. Is it worth it, or is the process pretty straight forward?

I was only offered a VAC lawyer back when I did mine; however that was before the pro bono lawyer help in Ontario.

I'd personally take it. It's free and can't possibly hurt.

PuckChaser said:
Here's a free service from the Ontario Trial Lawyers association: http://www.otla.com/index.cfm?pg=PressRelease_Trial_Lawyers_for_Veterans

You're asking for money from people who don't want to give it to you, an advocate who knows the process can only help you in the claim and I doubt it will delay it much.

I just called this number and they said their free services are now finished, if anyone else reads this thread looking for help. Anyone know of any other free services?

Sythen said:
I just called this number and they said their free services are now finished, if anyone else reads this thread looking for help. Anyone know of any other free services?

You can always try the Royal Canadian Legion. Each branch has a volunteer Veteran Service Officer  and there are paid staff  at the Provincial and higher levels experienced at this. You do not have to be a member of the Legion to access this service, any veteran can.

Contact the nearest RCL Branch and ask for an appointment to see their VSO. If you don't know where it is PM me and I'll look it up for you and get the contact info.

Also if any VSO and/or RCL declines to at least see you and see if they can help then I want to know about it.

Thanks, Danjanou. Will try the RCL tomorrow.. Figure I can find the nearest with google fairly easily. Just thought you had to be a member to use their services.

Sythen said:
Thanks, Danjanou. Will try the RCL tomorrow.. Figure I can find the nearest with google fairly easily. Just thought you had to be a member to use their services.

Nope they are supposed to obligated to assist any Veteran. As i said if someone gives you grief, let me know.

You're looking for a "SERVICE Officer",  easy to find through you local legion but available info on your provincial RCL website.  They only Co-Represent with (PBA) Pension Bureau Advocate AKA - VAC appointed lawyer (supposedly arms length).

I hope the appeal is for a separate issue because you have to do the assessment after 1 year before you'll even know what the award % is.  They can red flag (push the file faster) in dire financial cases.

maniac said:
You're looking for a "SERVICE Officer",  easy to find through you local legion but available info on your provincial RCL website.  They only Co-Represent with (PBA) Pension Bureau Advocate AKA - VAC appointed lawyer (supposedly arms length).

I hope the appeal is for a separate issue because you have to do the assessment after 1 year before you'll even know what the award % is.  They can red flag (push the file faster) in dire financial cases.

VSO Veteran Service Officer, some branhes have a seperate Seniors Service Officer. As noted they're at both Branch and Provincial level and in my experience better to start at the Bracnh level for two reason, one odds are he's closer to get to and most likely he's a retired cranky old guy often a vet who has the time to listen to you and push the paper up and the inclination to do more so than the paid Provincial guy who will probably tell you to start at the branch level first anyway.

As for dire financial circumstances, can also ask the VSoO for funds from the Poppy Fund  to cover rent, bills etc. I've seen it done and in theory that's one of the reasons it's there for. Again if someone says no way get lost I'd be very interested to hear about it and ensure it gets passed on to someone a little higher in the RCL food chain than I am.

I am wondering if anyone can help with this issue. I am new to the whole world of VAC and have recently applied for a disability award for Lower Back Pain and my Right knee which I received surgery on years ago. When I applied that is simply what I put with a little more of a narrative and about a month later I received a letter saying that they have received and reviewed  my serv Health records and there is sufficient medical information to support my application  as well it says they have received the required documents for the claimed disabilities of Chronic Mechanical Lower back pain, Lumbar Disc disease and Chondromalacia of the Right Medial Femoral Condyle (Grade III operated)  and I should receive a decision within 16 weeks.

I was told that the Application is at stage 3 via the new My VAC online program but I was never required to see a Dr.  OK so my questions

Is this still a long way from a final decision? or is this the final step?  or just in general is this a promising direction as i have read a lot of Neutral and Negative comments online?

Back