• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

a few Q's

asstastic1

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi.  how are you ?
I have just recently started the application process for a Stoker.
I have a few questions that i forgot to ask the recruiter, when I was last down at the recruiting centre.

1.  Once i sign my offer of employment.  When will I start being paid?  The reason I'm asking this is that I own a home and i plan on taking a few weeks off before I start BMQ, so i can start putting a few bucks away now.

2.  I'm not sure if you can answer this one.  Will joining the forces affect my home owners insurance Death and Disability policy?   

3.  What class of ships and what coasts usually deploy the most?

4.  What is the difference between coasts for the type of deployments and destinations?

5.  What are the chances of getting into the UTP-NCM or being Commissioned From the Ranks?

in advance one again thanks for your answers

1.  When you get to St Jean.

2.  No clue - sorry. 

3.  The vast majority of ships we have are CPF's - take it from there.  Both coasts have ships away fairly frequently.

4.  West Coast - Western US, Hawaii, South/Central America, Pacific Rim, Asia, Persian Gulf.  East Coast - Eastern US, South/Central America, Carribean, Europe, Med, Persian Gulf.  Forgot - sometimes up North too.  Someone with more nautical experience I'm sure will elaborate.

5.  They are there - you have to meet the qualifications and compete for it just like anyone else does.

Hope that helps.

MM

See my comments below in yellow.

asstastic1 said:
Hi.  how are you ?
I have just recently started the application process for a Stoker.
I have a few questions that i forgot to ask the recruiter, when I was last down at the recruiting centre.

1.  Once i sign my offer of employment.  When will I start being paid?  The reason I'm asking this is that I own a home and i plan on taking a few weeks off before I start BMQ, so i can start putting a few bucks away now.
Once you are enrolled, you will be on Leave Without Pay (LWOP) until you report for BMQ/BMOQ.  I wouldn't count on having a month off at that point as the enrollment date and course start dates are usually quite close.  If you want to take a month off, you will likely have to start before your actual enrollment date.

2.  I'm not sure if you can answer this one.  Will joining the forces affect my home owners insurance Death and Disability policy? 

I'm assuming you're talking about the insurance the bank likes to sell you that will pay off your mortgage if you die.  If so, the answer to your question is, no, not if you die in a car accident in Canada.  However, if the policy has a "war clause" it could affect your coverage if you are killed on operations.  Once you're in the CF though, you don't really need this kind of insurance as you will have access to the Service Income Security Insurance Program (SISIP) which is also life and disability insurance, but we own it and it covers you in all situations.  It's also cheaper.  Once you're in the CF, you will want to buy some Optional Group Term Insurance (OGTI) for at least the value of your mortgage.  If you can, you should look into whether you can get a refund on the civilian policy you have now.  Please note that you really only need this kind of insurance if you have dependents.  If you don't, who cares if the bank forecloses?

3.  What class of ships and what coasts usually deploy the most?

Ships on both coasts fail fairly frequently these days.

4.  What is the difference between coasts for the type of deployments and destinations?

We like to visit naval ports because they tend to be cheaper and better able to provide the port services we require.  Because the Pacific is considerably larger than the Atlantic, west coast ships most often go to Hawaii (Pearl Harbor) and San Diego (naval ports), with the occasional far east deployment.  East coast ships tend to visit more ports in both the US and Europe, more often because there are more naval ports and they're closer.  Add to all of this the occasional requirement for longer trips, which are usually done by east coast ships (again, closer to where they need to go)

5.  What are the chances of getting into the UTP-NCM or being Commissioned From the Ranks?

These programs are very competitive so you really need to be at the top of your game.  Frankly, it's easier to get in straight off the street as an officer than it is to get UTPNCM or CFR.

in advance one again thanks for your answers

Do a search of the forums, if you haven't got your answers yet, you'll likely find them by doing what everyone else does here.

i.e.: research for yourself.

Milnet.ca Staff

agc said:

DOHHH! ;D 

That was a typo.  Ships on both coasts SAIL, no STEAM, no MOTOR, aww nuts... .

They go out a lot.  :nod:

Back