• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

Jarnhamar said:
Homeless doesn't mean harmless. Addictions, mental health, I'd air on the side of caution myself.

Yeah. See how much erring on the side of caution cost the city taxpayers. And damn near cost the crew their jobs,

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01H9kQipbEfWFuKKXMgPRVeqqYprg%3A1591573620777&ei=dHzdXuL_LsPBytMPtaSC8As&q=%22james+hearst%22+toronto&oq=%22james+hearst%22+toronto&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzoCCAA6BggAEBYQHjoICAAQFhAKEB46BAgAEA06BggAEA0QHjoICCEQFhAdEB46BQghEKABUMtXWMJoYKptaABwAHgAgAGJAYgBlgiSAQMxLjiYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjiibPi8fDpAhXDoHIEHTWSAL4Q4dUDCAs&uact=5#spf=1591573635496

Defund the police? Let's do it! As an experiment, all uniformed officers should voluntarily take two days off with no pay. That will save a bundle in wages, and allow the social scientists to see if policing the populace is necessary or not.

Target Up said:
Defund the police? Let's do it! As an experiment, all uniformed officers should voluntarily take two days off with no pay. That will save a bundle in wages, and allow the social scientists to see if policing the populace is necessary or not.

I just saw that a local donut shop (whose customer base is probably 80% police) around the corner from one of our stations posted on instagram that they support the defunding of police. What a weird hill to die on.  :facepalm:

I don't think it's a good idea to defund the police. Off the top of my head I can't think of a time I had a bad encounter with a cop.

Videos like this don't help.

Video shows Edmonton officer jump knee-first onto man lying on ground during 2019 https://edmontonsun.com/news/crime/video-shows-edmonton-officer-jump-knee-first-onto-man-laying-on-ground-during-2019-arrest/wcm/a62a3e10-9be6-413f-85cf-17c2e827b99c

Jarnhamar said:
I don't think it's a good idea to defund the police. Off the top of my head I can't think of a time I had a bad encounter with a cop.

Videos like this don't help.

Video shows Edmonton officer jump knee-first onto man lying on ground during 2019 arrestttps://edmontonsun.com/news/crime/video-shows-edmonton-officer-jump-knee-first-onto-man-laying-on-ground-during-2019-arrest/wcm/a62a3e10-9be6-413f-85cf-17c2e827b99c

Hmmm yes, that does look bad. Fortunately Police aren't "the borg" and not the same person. There are bad apples just like there are bad paramedics, bad firefighters, bad nurses, doctors, etc...unfortunately Police are the "bad guys" always and forever...until you need them.

Gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out.

By all means take a lot of this work from us. I’d love to not have to worry about dealing with people in mental health crisis, or drunk homeless guys sleeping in an apartment or bank lobby, or attend domestics or neighbour disputes. I’d love to let the addictions counsellors deal with the guy who sells meth or fentanyl to feed his own habit. It would be an absolute treat to have someone else rounding up the drunk and violent group home runaways on a constant basis (ever seen a 15 year old girl with half a bottle of vodka in her bite a paramedic?) Please, hand these arguably non-police situations over to someone else, and we’ll happily be just a few minutes away when the social worker gets a knife pulled on them or gets sucker punched by the pissed off husband. I’d love to see us devote more resources to intelligence led, problem-oriented policing. I’d love to see us throw more bodies at bigger scale, longer term investigative projects instead of dealing with this stuff. It would be great to put more members out there hunting for impaired drivers.

Just understand that there is a consequence to removing police entirely from some of these equations. Make sure the social workers and addictions counsellors and mental health first responders have good life insurance and good long term disability plans.

That's entirely what I was getting at in my earlier post.  Everyone is ramped up right now and pointing at the police departments, and forgetting what police actually do on a day to day basis.  The Camden article is interesting, because they "defunded" by getting rid of an old, ineffective departmental structure and built a new one that put more police in the streets of the city.

Brihard said:
Gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out.

By all means take a lot of this work from us. I’d love to not have to worry about dealing with people in mental health crisis, or drunk homeless guys sleeping in an apartment or bank lobby, or attend domestics or neighbour disputes. I’d love to let the addictions counsellors deal with the guy who sells meth or fentanyl to feed his own habit. It would be an absolute treat to have someone else rounding up the drunk and violent group home runaways on a constant basis (ever seen a 15 year old girl with half a bottle of vodka in her bite a paramedic?) Please, hand these arguably non-police situations over to someone else, and we’ll happily be just a few minutes away when the social worker gets a knife pulled on them or gets sucker punched by the pissed off husband. I’d love to see us devote more resources to intelligence led, problem-oriented policing. I’d love to see us throw more bodies at bigger scale, longer term investigative projects instead of dealing with this stuff. It would be great to put more members out there hunting for impaired drivers.

Just understand that there is a consequence to removing police entirely from some of these equations. Make sure the social workers and addictions counsellors and mental health first responders have good life insurance and good long term disability plans.

Can't like this enough.

I wonder if British style of policing might be a new model for US police departments ?

tomahawk6 said:
I wonder if British style of policing might be a new model for US police departments ?

Can you expand on what the ‘British style’ means to you so we’re on the same page?

I like the idea of the police defunding themselves for a couple of days......the hue and cry for police services will be loud and clear..... :tsktsk: dumb idea....... :facepalm:

Brihard said:
Can you expand on what the ‘British style’ means to you so we’re on the same page?

It means policing with a handlebar mustache and a big hat.

Infanteer said:
It means policing with a handlebar mustache and a big hat.

Don't forget a preponderance to overly rely on pompous consulting detectives to cover their investigative shortcomings.

My idea of British policing are unarmed cops supported by armed police. The beat cops would seem to be the key as they are in touch with the folks living on their beat.

Defund the police sounds like a message from private security contractors.

Ironman118 said:
Hmmm yes, that does look bad.

Probably doesn't feel too great either.
The guy is laying down on his stomach, hands behind his back being held by a cop and the other cop comes up and gives him a knee drop. Sounds like the cop was meriting out some street punishment.

unfortunately Police are the "bad guys" always and forever...until you need them.
Is the cop in this video a good guy?

I keep hearing "few bad apples". It seems like these bad apples aren't being dealt with and that's why we're in this place.

Jarnhamar said:
Probably doesn't feel too great either.
The guy is laying down on his stomach, hands behind his back being held by a cop and the other cop comes up and gives him a knee drop. Sounds like the cop was meriting out some street punishment.
Is the cop in this video a good guy?

I keep hearing "few bad apples". It seems like these bad apples aren't being dealt with and that's why we're in this place.

I mean, they can't be dealt with until they do something bad, can they? This isn't minority report for cops. Edmonton police are looking into the case it seems so he'll probably lose his job, not sure what else to comment on, i'm not the spokesperson for incompetent police in Canada.

[quote author=Ironman118] . Edmonton police are looking into the case it seems so he'll probably lose his job,
[/quote]

This seems to be the problem in Canada and the US.

This incident has been under investigation for 10 months. You can read stories about these misconduct investigations lasting for years. That's not a reasonable turn around time.

Instead of defunding the police these misconduct investigations need to happen in a more timely manner and the oversight organization needs more teeth.

Back