• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Cunning Plan for the Next Generation's Military Heritage Changes (From: "Re-Royalization")

You guys are only scratching the surface of this nostalgic trend.  Let's:

- Reinstate "R" when writing the ranks of Reservists; i.e. MCpl (R) Bloggins
- Bring back the female designator "W", i.e.  Col (W) Bloggins
- Return to the half-slip on for Reservists wearing DEU 3B/C

Oh, and don't forget about these historic goodies:

- Pay everyone in cash again;
- Pay everyone once every six months;
- Bring back the combat hat;
- Insist on combat spectacles being worn while in garrison for those needing glasses.
- Punish initiative;
- Reward those who can drink like fish all night and run like deer on PT the next day, even if they skive off work at 10:00 AM to puke/recover under the guise of "personal administration".

Ahhh.... the good old days.

Haggis said:
- Pay everyone in cash again;

Via a parade where everyone lines up, alphabetically, and marches up to a desk at which sits an officer and a wad of cash, assisted by a clerk...salutes, shouts out number, rank, name and thereafter receives their pay in odd mixes of $10 bills, $20 bills, $1 bills and handfuls of nickels and dimes. People with names like Adams/Brown are already in the pub as the Williams/Young/Zinklewitzs are still receiving their pay.

Towards_the_gap said:
Via a parade where everyone lines up, alphabetically, and marches up to a desk at which sits an officer and a wad of cash, assisted by a clerk...salutes, shouts out number, rank, name and thereafter receives their pay in odd mixes of $10 bills, $20 bills, $1 bills and handfuls of nickels and dimes. People with names like Adams/Brown are already in the pub as the Williams/Young/Zinklewitzs are still receiving their pay.

Don't forget the stop at the next table with the CQ and his canteen book.

And the next table with the Canex lady offering you a GREAT deal on a new crew cab truck at only 19%apr over 84 months.

I'm in Recceguy ... I'll be the girl yelling for our dickies back and our tunics without the gawd awful pockets on the chest back.  This making us dress like men even in our DEUs sucks.

Everyone is thinking far too small. The first organized military forces on Canadian soil were recorded in the 1100's, and we should use that as our starting point:

I think you mean the first organized foreign military forces on Canadian soil.

Thucydides said:
Everyone is thinking far too small. The first organized military forces on Canadian soil were recorded in the 1100's, and we should use that as our starting point:

Your point has some merit.

I suggest my idea has more technical merit.

Looking back I think future military historian will agree that a key sign of our troubles was when the brass decided that the NCM could no longer be trusted to fix a bayonet.

Seriously, if you can't trust an NCM to fix a bayonet properly, without cutting their fingers,  or dropping it on the ground, then what's the point???? literally.

Actually, what may have really messed up higher's minds was the idea  the idea of "Unfix" as in "Unfix Bayonets"  How on earth do you unfix something?

Some may accuse me of being off topic again. However I suggest that this is an excellent thread to reinstate the concept of what has been a key part of military heritage since the Ancient Egyptians began to march in step. 

It is most appropriate in a military as it moves back into garrison, and deals reduced budgets.

What is this mystic cureall. Drill.

I was going to use another funny comment, but seriously what happened to "Fix/Unfix"???

As an add on - I may get called on this since I have no evidence.

The weirdest picture I think I ever saw as a Colour Party from the Canadian Airbourne Regiment, would have been late 80's.

The Colour Sergeant closet to the camera, appear to have something affixed to the tip of his bayonet. Aluminum sheath is probably the correct term"

If true, it seemed bizarre.

Inquisitor said:
As an add on - I may get called on this since I have no evidence.

The weirdest picture I think I ever saw as a Colour Party from the Canadian Airbourne Regiment, would have been late 80's.

The Colour Sergeant closet to the camera, appear to have something affixed to the tip of his bayonet. Aluminum sheath is probably the correct term"

If true, it seemed bizarre.

Not at all bizarre. It's purpose is to prevent the Colours from being hooked on a bayonet.

Thanks, Though unless they are very muted I don't think I've seen them since.

Inquisitor said:

Looking back I think future military historian will agree that a key sign of our troubles was when the brass decided that the NCM could no longer be trusted to fix a bayonet.

Seriously, if you can't trust an NCM to fix a bayonet properly, without cutting their fingers,  or dropping it on the ground, then what's the point???? literally.

I was going to use another funny comment, but seriously what happened to "Fix/Unfix"???

Where do you get the idea that troops no longer fix/unfix bayonets?  We still do the drill movement, I have never heard anyone say it is too dangerous lets remove it from the parade format.

Inquisitor said:

I suggest my idea has more technical merit.

Actually, what may have really messed up higher's minds was the idea  the idea of "Unfix" as in "Unfix Bayonets"  How on earth do you unfix something?

Some may accuse me of being off topic again. However I suggest that this is an excellent thread to reinstate the concept of what has been a key part of military heritage since the Ancient Egyptians began to march in step. 

It is most appropriate in a military as it moves back into garrison, and deals reduced budgets.

What is this mystic cureall. Drill.

Unfix is a word. It's means to detach.

What exactly is your point?

Indeed. Not only is it a word, it is the approved word-of-command to take the baronet off the weapon and place it in the scabbard.

And here I thought "Unfix!" was the order given by the crew commander of a LAV just out of maintenance...

Solving the riddle of the "unfix" is all very well, but there is a disturbing thought in the post that should not pass unchallenged. That thought it that the solution to the challenge of reduced budget and peacetime inactivity is drill. I cannot think of anything that would do more to destroy all the army has achieved over the past decade than a fixation of square bashing and scabbing up uniforms, and then onto rock painting and kit and equipment layouts. If you think retention is a problem now, just wait for the demotivation of garrison soldiering to sink into the consciousness of young men and women who joined to be field soldiers.

It is widely accepted that the British army post-1918 was relieved to get back to "real soldiering." This ushered in two decades of tactical sclerosis and a general deterioration in military thought and progress. Compare that to the tiny 100,000 member army permitted Germany by the Treaty of Versailles. First, a major study was done to identify the lessons and trends of the war. Second, and at least as important, the most was made of the imposed limitations. Formal drill was reduced to a minimum while the concentration was placed on demanding field training, to develop initiative and tactical flexibility and on building a base for expansion by preparing all ranks for increased responsibility. Which army was better prepared for the coming war? 'nuff said.

Inquisitor said:

Any maintainer can tell you that you unfix something by reversing the procedure that you used to fix it.  :nod:

Or if you wish to be really efficient, give the fixed equipment back to the primary user, and it will be "unfixed" in very short time.  ;D

In other news, the HMCS Algonquin to be repaired by ramming the HMCS Protecteur into the starboard side.

Back