• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

9mm, Too old?

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
It seems that some of the soldier do not like our geriatric Browning HP pistol anymore.
I am starting to think Chris Wattie is out there trying to find THE story. Occasionally that is a good thing (like this), and, sometimes not (Tim Hortons)

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=a50e6eb0-fccf-45c6-85a4-94ff707cabb8

Canadians armed with WWII pistols
9-millimetre browning: Excellent weapon in 'proper context,' military says

Chris Wattie
National Post

Friday, February 03, 2006

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - Canadian soldiers embarked on the country's largest combat mission since the Korean War are using handguns that date back even further -- pistols around since the Second World War are serving as their "weapon of last resort" in southern Afghanistan.

The 9-millimetre Browning High Power has been in service with the Canadian military since 1937 and the average Browning -- commonly known as the "9-mill" -- now being used by the troops is 63 years old, according to Canadian Forces small arms experts.

Many of the soldiers who use the Browning have little faith in its ability to protect them should the need arise.

"I don't trust them," said one junior officer, who did not want his name used. "They're prone to jamming, and I hear they have a habit of going off when you jostle them. They ought to be replaced -- should've been a long time ago."

The bulky black handguns are used by officers and senior non-commissioned officers of the 2,000-strong battle group now deploying to Kandahar, as well as by soldiers who need them for "close protection" -- when the enemy gets within close range and rifles or machine-guns are impossible or impractical to use.

"They're our weapon of last resort," said Captain Dave McKeever, operations officer for the Canadian contingent in southern Afghanistan. "They're the last weapon you would draw when someone's coming at you at very close range."

The handful of military specialties who are more likely to use handguns -- military police, naval boarding parties and the commandos of JTF-2 -- switched to more modern SIG-Sauer 9mm sidearms several years ago.

"The 9-mills are junk," said one MP posted to Kandahar Air Field, speaking on condition of anonymity. "They're too old. Handgun design has passed them by ... and they're always jamming.

"I was at the range last week firing my SIG-Sauer next to a guy with a 9-mill and his weapon had four stoppages. That'll get you killed in a combat situation."

Major Gary Vassbotn, the army's section head for small arms, said the military inspects the Brownings regularly "so any problems associated with age such as worn slides and bodies are detected and the pistol removed from service."

Maj. Vassbotn said the Browning was adopted as a sidearm in 1937, and the last pistol was produced by John Inglis & Co. in 1944. But while the handguns may be old, he said they are in excellent condition.

"A large number were immediately stored in unused condition in the CF supply depots," he said in an e-mail from National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa.

"While the average age of these pistols is approximately 63 years, these are still in like-new condition."

Maj. Vassbotn would not say how many sidearms have been issued to the troops now arriving in Kandahar, citing operational security, but Capt. McKeever said the Brownings are usually issued to commanders of units, either officers, warrant officers or sergeants. They are also handed out to other soldiers, he added.

"A lot of the guys who have to do lifting, loading and carrying are issued 9-mills because carrying a C7 [assault rifle] when you're climbing up and down a ladder would be kind of awkward," he said.

"Or the gunners in the turrets [of G-wagon vehicles] who don't have a lot of elbow room, sometimes are issued 9-mills ....Whoever needs them, gets them."

David Rudd, the director of the Canadian Institute of Strategic Studies, said it is high time the Browning was replaced, especially for use in Afghanistan. "A replacement is both overdue, desirable and necessary," he said.

"Guerrillas and insurgents often cannot be distinguished from ordinary civilians. They can therefore get close to Canadian troops before setting off a bomb or an explosive belt. Purchasing a modern handgun would allow the army to select a model that is better suited to this [Afghan] environment."

Mr. Rudd said that if the Browning is not good enough for the commandos of JTF-2, naval boarding parties or military police, it should be replaced for the army too.

"There must be a reason for that. How strange that the rest of the army should be short-changed."

Warrant Officer Len Aubin, weapons technician for the Canadian battlegroup, acknowledged there have been problems with some of the Brownings.

"If you take a weapon and beat it up over a period of years, then yes, it's going to fail," he said. "But the maintenance system has identified those problems and dealt with them.

"If it's used properly, there is no problem ... my personal opinion is that this is an excellent combat weapon, when it's used in the proper context."

Warrant Officer Aubin said that the heat and ever-present powdery dust of southern Afghanistan may be harder on the Brownings than on other weapons. "If you use it in a place like this ... the sand and the dust, that's just like sandpaper on the weapon's action."

But he added that so far, he has seen few problems with the Brownings issued to the soldiers in Kandahar.

"It's a good, reliable combat weapon."

Most of the weapons used by the Canadian troops in Afghanistan are fairly new "Gucci kit," as the soldiers refer to them. The C7 assault rifle was revamped and improved last year and vehicles such as the LAV III armoured troop carrier are among the best of their kind in the world.

But Maj. Vassbotn said that there are no plans to replace the Browning, the oldest weapon still in service with the Canadian Forces.

"The Browning still meets the sidearm requirement for the majority of soldiers in the field, and there is no plan to replace the pistol in the near future."

However, Mr. Rudd said a new weapon is needed and should be able to fire "a larger, more powerful round.... The 9mm cannot impart enough energy to take down an opponent who is determined to get through."

© National Post 2006

Just my opinion but Mr. Rudd is barking up the wrong tree with the Change the Calibre statement.

its really not our call since its the NATO standard for pistols correct? perhaps switching from an FMJ round to a JHP or even a JSP might have more stopping power. but I am by no means an expert on the matter.

I see no reason why the CF should not replace the BHP. the question is with what though....

with my limited knowledge of Pistols, I think the glock 17 might not be a bad choice. simple, rugged, durable and easy to use. being double action it would mean you could travel with one in the spout, ready to go and not worry.

but once again, my knowledge is very limited.

perhaps someone like kevinB or one of the other resident Weapons experts could shed some more Informed light on this.

Cheers
    Josh

Armymedic said:
Chris Wattie
National Post
Friday, February 03, 2006

"I don't trust them," said one junior officer, who did not want his name used. "They're prone to jamming, and I hear they have a habit of going off when you jostle them. They ought to be replaced -- should've been a long time ago."
In this case it is not the pistol that I would be afraid of, but the junior officer.  He shows a definite lack of experience and his weapons handling procedures are now in question.

Funny,

We got the request a few days ago from the National Post for pictures of the 9mm HP against a white background.  The only pics we had we're of the weapon in use in the field.  I couldn't help but wonder what they were going to "slam" next in their article?  Funny thing is these same reporters are also on the embed list for Op ARCHER.  Good luck to them! :)

Frank

www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca
www.frankhudec.ca

The Browning HP is still an excellent weapon. However, I am concerned that and are HP pistols which saw extensive WWII and Korean War and are being used in the field today, may have parts which are fatigued beyond their limits due to age and use. I also wonder if the HP can handle today's hotter, more powerful 9mm ammo loads, metal fatigue issues aside.

The National Post article says that DND have a number of unused HP handguns in storage as a means of getting around the problem. But even weapons which have been left in storage unfired, can exhibit problems, mostly in the area of weak springs and trigger sears. It would seem that using a pistol with those kinds of problems, with modern ammunition, is just asking for trouble. Yes, I know weapons techs would probably overhaul each of these examples before certifying them fit for service. Still, wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to buy new, modern pistols, and ensure all branches of the military have a common sidearm?

Better yet, why not issue officers, senior NCM's, armoured vehicle crews, special forces troops and others who need a sidearm something
like the Heckler & Koch MP7A1? It's compact enough to be carried in tight spaces and can probably even be used in a pinch as a pistol.
It chambers a 4.6mm round, and with automatic fire capability, it should be better than a pistol in tight spaces or CQB situations.

I have seen some reports that some US special forces units are beginning to adopt the weapon. Maybe we should be putting a few examples under trials and see how JTF2 do with them.

Personally I have absolutely no problem with the BHP...properly cared for and kept clean and taking care to make sure the "mouth" of the mag is properly shaped, I've not had a problem with it.  I like the feel of it, I like the action (although I've shot and like the double-action HP-DA better, more for ability to have a round chambered but hammer still decocked...)

I call BS on "...I hear they have a habit of going off when you jostle them..."  That is just crap!  The BHP Mark 1 is historically one of the safest semi-automatic pistols out there today....I think there's a reason it ranked on G&A's top ten list of firearms...

Personally, If I were given a "new old-stock" (7T... or 8T...) and cleaned off the packing grease (and made sure the mags were properly shaped) I'd honestly take it over a Sig...  I think we just need to rotate some of the pristine untouched HP's out of stocks...I think a lot more guys would like them than the ones that have been bashed around for 60 years...

Mein 2¢...

Cheers,
Duey

p.s.  What would I take if I didn't have a BHP?  Why a 10" CQB C8, of course... ;)  I have yet to be sold on funky new "personal protection" calibres...

I agree with Duey.  Not being much of a 'Gun Nut' I too had more faith in throwing the damn thing, than in my shooting abilities with it.  Then last year I was shown some shooting techniques that changed those old fallacies of mine.  It is a fine weapon.  So is the SIG. 

Any inexperience shooter will have problems, unless they are taught good techniques of shooting.  The CF has to improve/update those shooting techniques, not the weapon.  (ie. that old one handed dueling stance only offers your unprotected, unarmoured side to the enemy, and has no accuracy.) 

It is short barrel weapon, and good for close quarters.  Short barrel weapons require more 'control' than long barrel weapons, as only a fraction of an inch/cm movement of the barrel will move it off target much more so than a long barrel weapon.

I believe that the "War Stock" BHPs are now being rotated into operational stocks, so many of the comments we are hearing about them are all hearsay.  In some cases, like that of that "Junior Officer", probably some old story confused with the old 9 mm SMG.

I'v efired the BHP several times, and always enjoyed it. we were fortunate enough to have someone who knew what they were doing instructing us.

In retrospect, the only jams I ever had were caused by a misfeed on account of warped mag mouth, something I should have checked before accepting the mag (therefore, operator error).

So basically, check the weapon and mags over before you fire, and you should be fine.

While the BHP is not the cutting edge of handguns it is plenty good still.

I carried one in Afghan - no worries I carried it cocked and locked and had ZERO issues with it - put my own grips on it and added skateboard tape to the front and back straps - I woudl have preffered night sights - but a C8 was my primary...

The PDW is the answer for a non existant problem -- either issue C8's for people who feel "too hard done by" in the CSS world  or tell them to get competent with a pistol.

I fired over 1k of 9mm while in afghan out of my BHP and had ZERO issues.
DownloadAttach.asp

The Sig is nice - (I feel the G17/19 are better for general issue...) but in the terms of small arms expenditure the BHP is good to go until the CF will start actually training non DHTC pers with a handgun properly.

George
your typing speed is spectacular. Having had the opportunity to carry both the SMG and the HP as I have said "I politely refused and stuck to lugging around my trusty FN". When forced to carry one, "I was not going to throw it as undoing the lanyard would have taken to much time and the filling in of the lost weapon paperwork, ditto, I was going to beat them over the head with it." I witnessed one of the SMG incidents in which a MCPL jumped out of the back of a duce and a half with a full mag and bolt back. He is still carrying permanent reminders to this day of his error in judgement. Back to the HP, when properly trained in firing it I do believe it is a good weapon. There were several instances of our bn SA team over the years doing quite well with this pistol. Pbi, can shed some more light on the later success of this team. One of the reasons though I think for the success was the amount of time spent at the range and the care given to the weapons by the techs. A couple of years back I was given some instruction time by one of the ultimate experts in this weapon genre who is surprisingly well known to a number of site members, I should have figured that out. After practicing with the HP after being re-educated I took a 1876 or so Colt Peacemaker with a long barrel and was consistently able to put one rd on top of another in two shot drills. Much to the chagrin of my employers who stopped inviting me out to their range practices, something about going to far in debt vis via beer payments vs buying baby food and diapers. So I am in complete agreement with it is not so much the weapon as the training done by the user. Simply put in my Bn days we fired a one morning familiarization verses weeks on the range with the FN. Practice makes perfect. Next having been out for a number of years I am wondering what is going on in the CAF with the number of "I have heard comments", that keep appearing, has a weekly sewing circle replaced range practice.?

3rd Herd said:
Next having been out for a number of years I am wondering what is going on in the CAF with the number of "I have heard comments", that keep appearing, has a weekly sewing circle replaced range practice.?

Ottawa hath decreed that we only require 88 rounds per man, per year to maintain our shooting skills with the C7, so in answer to your question, yes!

As mentioned before, I've found that most stoppages in the Browning are attributed to the mag; either the lips are damaged or the mag spring needs to be replaced.  When the user changes to a good mag, usually the problems disappear.  I've never heard of spontaneous firing before in this weapon and I think someone is passing on stupid stories to their junior officer, probably relating to the old SMG.

We find the Brownings tagged all the time as "jams" and, upon inspection, nothing can be found wrong with the weapon.  By the way, its always more useful for maintainers to have as much information as possible about what is wrong with a weapon when its tagged.  Write us a little story, will you?  "Jams" is not very helpful. :)

Armymedic said:
"I don't trust them," said one junior officer, who did not want his name used. "They're prone to jamming, and I hear they have a habit of going off when you jostle them.

In other words, Junior Officer Who Does Not Want His Name Used (JOWDNWHNU), it's never happened to you and you're spouting hearsay.

I've carried a 9mm on ops and on exercise for over 25 years.  I've fired it in competitions.  I own my own (duly registered) original "John Browning Arms Company, Montreal Canada" model.

Like KevinB, I've slapped aftermarket grips on my issue piece and had an EME gun plumber "tune" it for me. 

brin11 said:
I've found that most stoppages in the Browning are attributed to the mag; either the lips are damaged or the mag spring needs to be replaced. 

In those 25 odd years I can count on one hand the number of stoppages I've had in both the issue weapon or my own.  All were attributable to damaged or worn out mags.  I have never had a part fail in any issue weapon.  My own is boxed-stock original. 

Probably unlike JOWDNWHNU, I have practised with mine, fired thousands of rounds and have received modern  (outside the CF) training with it.  I agree completely with George.  It makes a huge difference compared to what the CF teaches to "the masses".

It's old.  It's ugly. (Just like me.  ;D)  It still works.

Maybe some people are just after the LCF of carrying a Sig like the boarding parties, or the Black Pyjama party members?

In any case, if it puts rounds downrange, and I can handle it well enough that the rounds go where I want them to, I'm happy.

The problem with the handguns in the CF is the lack of training in modern techniques.

I've had to carry a few versions of the BHP in Iraq.  It's not my first choice (or 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th or 5th) of combat pistol but it will do. Good mags are the key to ensuring reliability. Use ball not hollowpoint.  Slap night sites, grips, and a good combat safety on a Browning and you have a decent pistol.  I owned a BHP clone called a Arcus 94 that had those mods and it was great.

I believe the Glock 17 or 19 are the best combat pistols on the market and they are certainly the most popular amongst those here who have the choice.

ETA:  Also remove the mag safety. It serves no purpose other than to slow down your drills.

I also owned a BHP, pachmeyr grips, three dot sights, ambidextrous extended safety, and mag safety removed.  Never had a stoppage, and I fired around 10,000 rounds through it.  The only problems I experienced were all mag related.  I went through a lot of mags, though.  Good thing they were cheap!

I agree with many of the posts, training is the key.  Nobody seems to get enough 9mm to become proficient with, and to gain confidence in the pistol.

A very nice gun, well balanced, and a pleasure to shoot.  I personally much prefer it to the Glock, although the SIG is also a nice gun....

Big Red - I think a Larry Vicker's done 1911 is the current fav of "those who can have everything in an issue handgun..."
Chuck was very preturbed when forced with G19 for some deployments. ;)

I dont think it worthwhile to spend money upgrading the Brownings -- best save some money and buy night sighted Glock19's in a  few years if really nec.

I wonder if this news is not just DLR's way of funding another boondoggle (PDW)....

What Big Red said.  :threat:

I have a Belgian Hi-Power at home, that's brilliant.  But it's been relegated to the locker since I bought my Glock -17.  As another friend of mine says, Glocks are the pesant's (sic) pistol.  My Browning has been a faithful and reliable pistol at least until the barrel lug broke but that may have been due more to my ill advised handloading efforts to turn 9mm into .38 super.  New Barrel all is well.  I had decent sights and an extended safety from the get go, so I was spoiled with reguards to those issues.  Like Kevin says, decent grips and some skateboard tape takes care of most of the issues.  Mag feed lips do need a little bit of maintenance now and then though.  Unless you can find some good stainless ones like the old Pachmayer's.  But those are rare as hen's teeth and spendy to boot, if you can find them.  By and large it's still an excellent weapon.

As far as the PDWs are concerned, they are really a step backward's at least in the area of terminal performance.  I read an article posted on another forum by Gary Roberts that said in his tests, the 5.7mm round, while good at penetrating armour, had the wound ballistics of a 22 Magnum.  The 4.7 mm round out of the HK version set a new low for performance in soft tissue.  These are not useful, IMHO.

KevinB said:
Big Red - I think a Larry Vicker's done 1911 is the current fav of "those who can have everything in an issue handgun..."
Chuck was very preturbed when forced with G19 for some deployments. ;)

True, true. About half of his type around our parts run with both on them... :threat:

Re: PDW's
"The issuance of this cartidge is a good way to ensure mission failure"
LCdr Gary Roberts

Me - I dont need no stinkign PDW - I want to carry biggest meanest mofo'ing gun around - I'll carry the second meanest as a backup  ;)

BigRed - 249Para baby  ;D 

Back