• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

9 Nov 11: "Australians wounded in Afghanistan shooting"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Sounds scarily sorta-kinda the last incident....
Three Australian soldiers were seriously wounded and two of their Afghan partners sustained minor wounds when an Afghan National Army (ANA) soldier opened fire with an automatic weapon and a grenade launcher in eastern Uruzgan on Tuesday, 8 November 2011 (local Afghan time).

The soldiers were members of Mentoring Task Force -3 (MTF-3), operating with their Afghan partners at a patrol base in the Charmestan region, north-east of Tarin Kot.

The five wounded soldiers were treated at the scene then aero medically evacuated to hospital at Multi National Base – Tarin Kot.

The three Australians were subsequently transferred to the ISAF Role 3 medical facility at Kandahar Airfield for emergency treatment.

The Chief of the Defence Force, General David Hurley said the three Australian soldiers remained in a serious condition.

“The wounded soldiers’ families have now been informed and Defence is working to support them.
“Assisting the families is always our highest priority following the treatment and care of the wounded,” General Hurley said.

The two Afghan soldiers are listed as satisfactory.

The offending ANA soldier, who was a member of the 3rd Kandak, fled in an ANA vehicle.

He was pursued by ANA members at the patrol base and an operation is under way to apprehend him.

“Immediately following the incident Brigadier General Mohammed Zafar Khan ordered that members of the 3rd Kandak at Patrol Base Nasir be disarmed and confined to barracks,” General Hurley said.

MTF personnel from a nearby patrol base have moved forward to Patrol Base Nasir to provide security and overwatch.
AUS Def Force news release, 9 Nov 11

Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery  :salute:

Much like the rest of his compatriates (terrorists, taliban etc..) he's a coward.  I hope they catch him and deal with him appropriately.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for those wounded.

jasonf6 said:
Much like the rest of his compatriates (terrorists, taliban etc..) he's a coward.  I hope they catch him and deal with him appropriately.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for those wounded.

I hope for a speedy recovery of our comrades as well.

Clinically speaking - we'd do the same if a major power invaded us and we didn't like it. We'd use IEDs (formerly known as "booby traps") and the hit and run tactics of the guerilla as well.

Steady, Seggie.  I would hope that we would not randomly mine roads, killing more local civilian then military. 

PS.  The BC mountains would rock for guerrila warfare.

Shadowolf said:
Steady, Seggie.  I would hope that we would not randomly mine roads, killing more local civilian then military. 

Ya, that is more to my point.  I wouldn't have a problem if they only attacked military targets but more often than not they don't.  They bomb roads, markets, schools, etc more than they do bases, patrols, checkpoints and the like.  I do understand the role of guerilla warfare in that it is often necessary when one's military is vastly inferior to the opposing force.

Shadowolf said:

Never would intend kill or wound our civilians.

My point is that we'd use similar tactics. I don't see that as cowardly at all.

I fear we will see more of this sort of betrayal in times to come.  Speedy recovery to the wounded and a speedy dispatch of the guilty party.  :yellow:

Bumped with the latest (to paraphrase):  The millstone of fate grinds slowly, but exceedingly small ....
Yesterday the Prime Minister of Australia, Kevin Rudd, announced that Australian forces had tracked down and killed a former Afghan National Army soldier who was involved in an insider attack nearly two years ago in Uruzgan province.

The rogue soldier, Mohammed Roozi, was hunted down earlier this week by a joint Afghan/Australian/International Security Assistance Force unit in the northern province of Takhar, far from the Australian base in Uruzgan where the green-on-blue attack took place in November 2011.

"This combined operation involved months of focused intelligence and professional work by the Australian Defence Force in concert with the International Security Assistance Force," Rudd said. According to the Guardian, ADF chief General David Hurley said that "Australian forces, in concert with ISAF, narrowed down his location and then worked with the ANSF [Afghan National Security Forces] and ISAF elements responsible for the area to plan and conduct a focused mission."

During the Afghan-led cordon and search operation, Roozi was shot and killed by the approaching joint force after he threw a grenade at them, slightly injuring an Afghan soldier.

On Aug. 14, the Taliban issued a statement on their website, Voice of Jihad, confirming Roozi's death **, and claimed that he had been killed by American soldiers in a raid on his house during which eight US troops were said to have been killed. The Taliban also claimed that Roozi's presence had been reported by informers. The Taliban routinely exaggerate casualty statements, and no ISAF casualties have been reported from the raid ....
Long War Journal, 16 Aug 13

** - screen capture of Taliban statement attached

Back