• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

8 Canadians killed in Israeli airstrikes, Ottawa sends ships for evacuation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So please explain to us what does Hezbollah and quebec separatists have in common.

meni0n said:
So please explain to us what does Hezbollah and quebec separatists have in common.

Are you all blind?!?  Look at the second letter!  Hezbollah, an "e".  Separatist, an "e".  Terrorist, an "e".  The link is irrefutable.

Comparing a legitimate political party to militant extremists should warrant no discussion, however, at the risk of opening up the proverbial can of worms, how would people here characterize the similarities (if any) of teh topical militants bent on the destruction of a state with groups such as the FLQ?  The Basque?  The IRA? 

meni0n said:
They talk funny..... ;D :D 8) >:D

Keep it civil, and on topic, please.

This one is close to a lock.

Army.ca Staff

TA said:
Comparing a legitimate political party to militant extremists should warrant no discussion, however, at the risk of opening up the proverbial can of worms, how would people here characterize the similarities (if any) of teh topical militants bent on the destruction of a state with groups such as the FLQ?  The Basque?  The IRA? 

Since the topic was brought up, I am just going to put my 2 cents in on the question closest to home.

Does the FLQ exist today? And for that matter, did it ever really exist. I think it was an aberration in our history, mostly advanced by a TINY lunatic fringe, and no real citizen, especially those in Quebec would ever feel that what they did in the early 70's was justified.

As much was we all like to belly ache about taxes, the cost of gas and whatever our pet peeves are, I think that most would agree that we live in an incredibly caring, tolerant and generous society and that this nation is truly blessed.

I think it would be a cold day in hell before the good people of Quebec would ever contemplate taking up arms and indiscriminately killing their fellow citizens or VICE VERSA.

For proof of this, all  we have to do is just look at the results of the last referendum, which I am sure we all remember. I don't feel like googa/wikeeing at the moment but if I recall correctly, the final margin after over 10 millions votes was only 49,000!!! or 50.4 percent or something like that?

And what happened? Did anyone revolt and NOT ACCEPT the outcome? Were anglophones physically attacked in Montreal? Did the province go on strike? Did Quebec start a separate militia and begin arming themselves for a future conflict? Are Quebec children taught in schools to wish to destroy their neighbours and strive to grow up to be a suicide bombers in markets filled with civilians for the "greater good". I don't think so.

There are many places on this earth, including many that claim to be democracies, where a result like that would have been met with bloody carnage and mayhem.

Despite our many differences, Canadian citizens deeply respect one another.

Canadian democracy works.

OK, TA actually hits it closest on the head.  Some of these Hezbollah guys were actually 'elected' by people in their own country for whatever reasons.  That's democracy in their eyes.  My analogy to separatists in Canada only means to highlight the fact that sometimes Canadians (and some posters here)  tend to really look down on others in the Middle East without realizing what is going on in their own back yard - a country within a country.  Sounds very similar doesn't it, without the escalation in violence?  You need to take a step back, and understand the region (your own too), before making such absurd comments and wondering where this Hezbollah support actually comes from.

Todd scam

As you aren't in Canada, you really don't know much about what the average Canadian Soldier knows or feels.  I can assure you that most are quite aware of what our situation is, what our history is, and what world history is.  You are comparing apples and, not even oranges, perhaps...... zucchini. 

Again, I ask what is your game here.

Yes but unlike the Hezbollah, Quebec Seperatist Parties do not have an armed "militia" targeting people they don't like.  Don't bring up the FLQ.  They were never associated with a political party.  Also they are using the democratic system in place to achieve their aims.  Jeez, now you have me defending seperatists.  Also they do not advocate the wholesale destruction of Canada.

Now I think we've veered way off topic.  maybe this should be in another thread.

This has gone far enough off track, it's done.

Toddskam, consider this your one warning about trying to stir up a fight.  Debate here if you want, but that means reasoned and fully developed arguments (in case you weren't aware) or troll elsewhere - just keep in mind that the latter may be a staff choice for you if you keep up your current tactics

Mike
Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back