• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

60th Anniversary of the Liberation of Boulogne-sur-Mer

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Folks,

I have been passed some information regarding the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Boulogne-sur-Mer that may be of interest here.

Mr. Robert Dehon, chair of The Association Fort de La Crèche, is looking to make contact with 3 of our Regiments, in order to involve them in the commemoration. The Regiments are the Queen‘s Own Rifles Of Canada, Le Régiment de la Chaudière, and the 2nd Battalion, Royal New Brunswick Regiment. (These Regiments all participated in the operation.)

I have already provided rudimentary contact info fgor these units, but any assistance we can provide Mr. Dehon would be greatly appreciated. His original request details follow:

Dear Mike,

On 22 September 2004 will take place some commemorations for the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Boulogne-sur-Mer. Operation Wellhit is not only concerning Boulogne-sur-Mer but Wimereux too and… "The formidable Fort de la Crèche" as wrote Stacey !

Our Association would like to go a little bit further in suggesting to commemorate the 3 Regiments which took over the Fort: North Shore, QOR and Chaudière !

I believe the communication departments of the Canadian Army and of the Governmental bodies are to date already working on this 60th anniversary job with their French counterparts.

And here, Mike, you could give a "formidable" helping hand.

I’d like to contact the 3 Regiments official representatives for informing what the Association Fort de La Crèche is all about and convincing them of our commemoration ideas. If you could tell me which are the men and women who are in charge of the Boulogne-sur-Mer operations in 2004 would a plus mark (on Army and/or Governmental level).

What the Association would like to initiate is that on 22 September 2004 our 3 Regiments are duly saluted on the Fort esplanade. Do you think I should also contact the Canadian Embassies in France and in Belgium ? I think we together could achieve a wonderful memory moment that deserves the soldiers of the Canadian Army (*).

I deeply thank you for your help, and nobody knows, perhaps to have the pleasure meeting you on the La Crèche cliffs some day or another ?

With my best greetings and my deepest thanks for your help,

Robert

(*) Lydie’s parents housed three Canadian soldiers in Machelen in 1944/45 (East of Brussels); I have 3 pics of them… the names are, alas, forgotten !
If you have information that might be useful, please pass it on to either myself, or Mr Dehon at robert.dehon@skynet.be.

Thanks

Back