• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 Nov 2014: Soldier dies after training incident at CFB Wainwright, Alta.

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
J

jollyjacktar

Sad news.  My deepest condolences to the family and comrades of Pte. Allen.  :salute:

Updated
Soldier dies after training incident at CFB Wainwright, Alta.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/soldier-dies-after-training-incident-at-cfb-wainwright-alta-1.2826744

Pte. Steven Allen, 20, from Victoria, was fatally injured when a tactical structure collapsed.
CBC News Posted: Nov 06, 2014 4:21 PM MT|

A Canadian soldier has died after a training incident at CFB Wainwright, Alta., on Monday.  Pte. Steven Allen, 20, from Victoria was injured when a tactical structure collapsed.  He died at the University of Alberta hospital in Edmonton on Wednesday.  Another soldier who was not named received minor injuries in the same structure collapse. 

"We are deeply saddened by this incident," said Lt.-Col. Sean Trenholm, commanding officer of 3rd Canadian Division Training Centre, in a news release.  "Our immediate focus is to provide support to the family of Pte. Allen and ensure members of the unit are provided the assistance they need to deal with the loss of their comrade."

In a statement, Prime Minister Stephen Harper offered his condolences to Allen's family.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Laureen and I offer our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Pte. Steven Allen," he said. "We also offer our prayers for the quick recovery of the other injured member of the Canadian Armed Forces."

The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service is looking into the incident. Defence officials will not release any additional details about what happened at this time.

Allen joined the Canadian Forces in October 2013 and completed his basic training in February.  He was training to join the infantry at the 3rd Canadian Division Training Centre in Wainwright.

- mod edit to add date, link -

Condolences to family, colleagues and friends, and here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery for the injured soldier  :salute:

This, from the Info-machine:
One Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) member has died, and another has received minor injuries as a result of a training incident at 3rd Canadian Division Training Centre in Wainwright, Alta. The incident occurred on Monday, November 3, 2014.

Private Steven Allen, 20, of Victoria, and another soldier were inside a tactical structure when it collapsed. Private Allen was airlifted to the University of Alberta Hospital where he died of his injuries.

Quick Facts

Private Allen was training to become a fully-qualified Regular Force Infantry soldier serving at 3rd Canadian Division Training Centre at 3rd Canadian Division Support Base Wainwright.
    Private Allen was recruited out of Victoria, in October 2013. At present, Private Allen was posted to 3rd Canadian Division Training Centre located in Wainwright, Alta.
    Private Allen completed his Basic Military Qualification in February 2014 and has not served overseas.
    The exact circumstances of this incident are currently under investigation by the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service; as such no further details can be release at this time.
    Due to privacy concerns, we cannot release the name or nature of the injuries for the second soldier.

This, from the Minister of Defence:
“It is with profound sorrow that I learned of the death of Private Steven Allen and the injury of a second soldier following an accident during a training exercise in Wainwright, Alberta.

“Pte Allen, who completed his Basic Military Qualification in February of this year, was training at 3rd Canadian Division Training Centre to become a fully-qualified Regular Force Infantry soldier at the time of the accident.

“I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Pte Allen and those affected by this tragedy, including all base personnel.

“I also offer my prayers for a speedy recovery to the second soldier injured in the same accident.

“The loss of any soldier is devastating to the military community. An investigation will be conducted into the circumstances surrounding this incident to ensure that every precaution is taken to protect the safety and security of our soldiers.”

This, from the Commander of Canada's Army:
“I am deeply saddened by the news of the passing of Private Steven Allen following an incident that occurred during an infantry field training exercise at the 3rd Canadian Division (3 Cdn Div) Training Centre in Wainwright, Alberta, on November 3, 2014.  In any situation, the loss of a soldier is always tragic.

“Private Allen, who was training to become a fully-qualified Regular Force infantry soldier, was recruited out of Victoria, British Columbia. At the time of the incident, Private Allen was posted to the 3 Cdn Div Training Centre and was participating in a unit-led activity in the training area when the structure he and another soldier were occupying collapsed.  Private Allen completed his Basic Military Qualification in February 2014 and at the time of the accident had not served abroad.

“This tragic accident serves to remind us of the dangers that the men and women who serve in the Canadian Armed Forces face each day, whether they participate in training exercises at home, or while deployed on operations abroad.

“We train as we fight in war. A loss of life in training is no less significant than a loss of life in war.

“The second soldier injured in the same accident suffered minor injuries and is expected to make a full recovery.

“The safety and security of all our members is of utmost importance. An investigation will be conducted into the circumstances surrounding this incident to ensure that we continue to take every precaution to keep our soldiers safe.

“We extend our thoughts and prayers to Private Steven Allen’s family and friends.

“To the injured soldier, we wish a speedy recovery.”

RIP Pte Steven Allan; my sincere thoughts and condolences to his comrades, family and friends.

:cdn:

RIP Pte Steven Allan. My sincere thoughts are with your comrades, family and friends.

RIP Pte Allen.  :salute: :cdn:

So young, but we are deeply thankful for your service, albeit sadly for such a short time.

This from the PM:
“I learned with deep sadness today that Private Steven Allen passed away yesterday from injuries he sustained following a training accident last Monday at Canadian Forces Base Wainwright, which also left a second soldier injured.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Laureen and I offer our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Private Steven Allen. We also offer our prayers for the quick recovery of the other injured member of the Canadian Armed Forces.

“This tragic incident reminds us of the trials that our brave men and women in uniform go through as they train to defend our freedoms and liberties.

“Private Allen lost his life in the line of duty. We will honour and remember his service to Canada.”

This, from the family:
We would like to thank the Canadian military for the awesome assistance we have received during our time of sorrow.  Special thanks go out to Captain Jocelyn Roy and Padre Joe Almeida for their care and understanding.  We would also like to recognize the hard work and dedication of the medical staff at the University Hospital area 4A4, nurses Shelley, Alison and Xerxes and Dr. Mary Stephens.

We are heartbroken and have many unanswered questions about how this accident occurred.  The military life was what Steven wanted since he was a young man and he was fulfilling this dream in the short time he had with 2 PPCLI.  Steven was following his dreams and, despite many obstacles, he never gave up.  He wanted to serve his country and was so happy to be part of the military.

During the past year Steven transformed from a boy into the man that we all know and are so proud of.  He was strong, brave and happier in this last year than ever before.  When he joined the Forces, he gained a whole new family and we want to acknowledge his military brothers and sisters and the loss they are feeling right now.  He died a soldier, a warrior.  We love you Steven.

These tragic circumstances have taken us all by surprise.  In the future we will be more than willing to discuss the circumstances regarding this tragedy, however at the moment we ask for some privacy so that we can continue our grieving process.

Back