• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 July 2009: MCPL Pat Audet, CPL Martin Joannette, R.I.P.

Devi said:
Does anyone know when they will arrive in canada and begin their journey down the highway of heroes? Today, tomorrow....?

They left Afghanistan today, so expect them in the next couple of days.......

Statement
Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the death of Master Corporal Pat Audet and Corporal Martin Joannette
NR–09.048 - July 7, 2009

OTTAWA - The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, issued the following statement today on the death of two Canadian Forces members in Afghanistan.

“I would like to convey my sincerest condolences to the families and friends of Master Corporal Pat Audet and Corporal Martin Joannette, who died as the result of a CH-146 Griffon helicopter crash. The accident occurred during take-off near a forward operating base in Tarnak Va Jaldak, Zabul Province, northeast of Kandahar City.

I would also like to express my sympathy to the family and friends of the fallen ISAF soldier, killed in the same incident, and wish a quick recovery to the three Canadians injured.

This tragedy demonstrates the great risks involved in this challenging mission.

These courageous servicemen gave their lives to secure a brighter future for Afghan families and protect the values of freedom, democracy, respect for human rights and the rule of law. Canada's collaboration and determination to contribute to this UN-sanctioned, NATO-led mission will not waiver.

Canada and the Canadian people will always remember this tragic occurrence and we support all those bereaved in these difficult times.”

- 30 -

MCpl Pat Audet was from 430e Escadron tactique d'hélicoptères, based at CFB Valcartier, and Cpl Martin Joannette was from the 3e Bataillon, Royal 22e Regiment based at CFB Valcartier, near Quebec City.

:salute:
The tears start and the throat glogs... :piper: "when the battles o'er"

Rest in Peace Comrades.

We have the torch now and will carry on...

VVV

Rest in peace.......our condolences to the families and friends..... :salute:

Captain Ben Babington-Browne killed in Afghanistan (link embedded in title)
It is with deep sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Captain Ben Babington-Browne from 22 Engineer Regiment, Royal Engineers, died in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan on Monday 6 July 2009.

The incident took place whilst on takeoff in Zabul province, at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Mescall, on the afternoon of 6 July 2009.

Two Canadian soldiers were also killed in the crash.

Captain Babington-Browne was working in the ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) Headquarters of Regional Command (South) and was visiting FOB Mescall as part of an ISAF team to undertake an engineering survey of the Romanian FOB.

Captain Ben Babington-Browne

Captain Ben Babington-Browne was born on 17 October 1981 and grew up in Maidstone. After graduating from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and completing the Royal Engineers Troop Commanders' Course he joined 22 Engineer Regiment in April 2007...."

GenerateThumbnail.aspx

R.I.P to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for Canada and the people of Afghanistan to those who are injured a speedy recovery.  :salute: :cdn: :salute: :cdn: :salute:

News Release
Our Fallen Airman and Fallen Soldier Return Home
LFCA MA 09-13 - July 8, 2009

OTTAWA – Our fallen airman, Master Corporal Pat Audet  from 430 Escadron tactique d’hélicoptères, based at Canadians Forces Base Valcartier and our fallen soldier, Corporal Martin Joannette from the 3e Bataillon, Royal 22e Régiment based at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, near Quebec City, return home to Canada tomorrow.

Where: 8 Wing, Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario.

When: Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 2:00 p.m.

What: At the request of the families, media will be permitted on the tarmac.

Present to pay their respects will be the Minister of National Defence, The Honourable Peter MacKay, Chief of Defence Staff, General Walt Natynczyk and other dignitaries.

The two air crew members and one ISAF soldier were killed when a Canadian CH-146 Griffon helicopter crashed during take-off. The incident occurred at a Forward Operating Base in Tarnak Va Jaldak, Zabul Province, northeast of Kandahar Cityat around 1:50 p.m., Kandahar time, on July 6, 2009.

Three other Canadian Forces members were injured in the crash.

-30-

Note to Editors/News Directors:

Interested media may contact Captain Mark Peebles, 8 Wing/CFB Trenton Public Affairs Officer, who can be reached at (613) 392-2811, ext. 2041, or at: peebles.m@forces.gc.ca

For general queries, please contact the Media Liaison Office at 1-866-377-0811 or 613-996-2353, or on weekends 613-792-2973. For flight information, please contact the Air Passenger Terminal at 1-800-487-1186.

It's truly heart breaking when our country looses any of its soldiers.  The fallen soldiers, their families and those involved are in my prayers.

rest in peace soldiers (salute)
you will not be forgotton (yellow ribbon)
my condolences to family,, comrades,, and friends...

scoty b

RIP Gentlemen, you sacrifice will not be forgotten.....my thoughts are with the families.  On a more personal note, MCpl Pat Audet is an exemplary human being, the kind of person that will find a little way to make you smile, no matter how crappy the day.....true salt of the earth.  I am proud to have trained and flown with him.....but most of all to have called him friend.....Godspeed mon ami.  DNO78.

:yellow: :cdn: :salute:

Thanks to all those who came out to the repat where ever you happened to stand.

I've been to I don't know how many repats on the other end and this is my first back home.  The fact that I knew one of the fallen and both were working for Tac Hel made it especially poignant.  Thankfully there were a couple of shoulders available after the repat as well as a relaxing ride back to K-Town (Thanks Journeyman).

Master-Corporal Audet' military funeral (link embedded in title)

VALCARTIER GARRISON, QC, July 14 /CNW Telbec/ - The military funeral for
Master-Corporal Patrice "Pat" Audet will be held on Thursday, July 16, 2009,
at 2:00 p.m., in Sainte-Jeanne d'Arc Chapel, located on the Valcartier
Garrison. Master-Corporal Audet died in Afghanistan on July 6.

VISITATION

When:  Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - From 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., and
          7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (friends and family)
          Thursday, July 16, 2009  -  From 10:00 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. (friends
          and family)

Where: Centre funéraire de Charlesbourg, located at 7335, Henri-Bourassa
          Blvd, in Quebec

Citizens who wish to honour Master-Corporal Audet' memory are welcome to
join the funeral procession which will travel successively on Henri-Bourassa
Blvd, 73rd Street E, 1st Av., and Highways 40 and 573 to Valcartier Garrison'
main gate. The procession should leave the funeral center around 1:00 p.m.

Born in the Montreal region, Master-Corporal Patrice Audet joined the
Canadian Forces on November 15, 1988. Thirty eight years old, Pat served with
430 Tactical Helicopter Squadron located in Valcartier, since March 15, 2004.
He carried out his first mission in the Middle East in 2002, and later left on
his second tour, in Afghanistan, in mid-April 2009.

NOTES TO THE CHIEF EDITOR/SENIOR NEWS EDITOR:

Members of Master-Corporal Audet' family want to go through their mourning
in privacy. They wish that media representatives respect their choice of not
according interviews. Media will therefore not be granted access to the
chapel, the funeral home and cemetery.

For further information: 5 CMBG Public Affairs Office, (418) 844-5000
extension 4688, Pager: (418) 260-3082

Back