• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

56 FES

NFLD SPR

Inactive
Reaction score
Well just wondering how many former 56 FES guys we have around, and what did they move on to do.

I joined in 94 and went regs in 96 and got sent to 5 CER (yup quebec) hung there until i remustered in 2003 to Construction Tech, Currently over seas somewhere....

CHIMO!  :cdn:

NFLD SPR said:
Well just wondering how many former 56 FES guys we have around, and what did they move on to do.

I joined in 94 and went regs in 96 and got sent to 5 CER (yup quebec) hung there until i remustered in 2003 to Construction Tech, Currently over seas somewhere....

CHIMO!   :cdn:

Current member here, and many changes are coming for 56 ES (we dropped "Field" from our name last year).

60th Anniversary of 56 Engineer Squadron (St. John's, NL) is taking place on the weekend of 30, 31 Oct and 01 Nov 09.

The planned schedule is as follows:

Fri 30 Oct
1800 hrs, Meet and Greet, Fort Pepperrell Mess, to include a pig roast and other buffet style food.

Sat 31 Oct
1000 1200 hrs, Bus tour of the various project sites that 56 ES has completed over the past 60 years.

1400‐1530 hrs, Freedom of the City Parade (St. John's) still waiting on approval of this but if this is not granted a parade will be held at CFS St. John's. (Latest word is that this has been approved)

1900 hrs, Dinner and Dance to be held at the Holiday Inn, St. John's.

Sun 01 Nov

CO's Pancake Breakfast at the Fort Pepperrell Mess Galley, timings to be confirmed.

Contact info for this event is as follows:

56 ES Orderly Room ‐ 709‐570‐4614
or
SSM 56 ES, MWO Roger Dewland ‐ 709‐570‐4589, e‐mail EMAIL REMOVED, if you want it pm me then

NFLD Sapper said:
60th Anniversary of 56 Engineer Squadron (St. John's, NL) is taking place on the weekend of 30, 31 Oct and 01 Nov 09.

Well thanks for the Info, will have to consider that after i get back home.

No problem.

PM me if you want to know who is still kicking around the unit.

I thought there was talk afoot to establish a Field Sqn on the mainland & raise a CER for the Bde

Still is geo.

Rumor is that the Field Sqn in Fredericton will be stood up in Sept, RHQ will reside here on the rock and 37 CER will stand up in a couple of years from that.

It should be noted that none on the associated paperwork has been signed yet.

Heh... yeah

Bit like the FES that is crawling out of the ooze in Winnipeg - A troop with the Ft Gary Horse

The only problem I see is that, without the additionals equipment to go along with the increased "capacity".... we could be diluting what we presently have.

geo you forget that with CFB Gagetown/4 ESR/CFSME all located next to this unit I don't think they will have much problems with equipment.

I predict an exodus from both 4 ESR and the School to this new Sqn.

It would be a way for those people who are completing their 20 or 25 years to stick around - at 85% of salary...

As we saw with the return of the Halifax Rifles to the order of battle, the problem in adding reserve units is the manpower and equipment.  The Rifles return did not include the addition of a single PY or extra money, those will come out of the existing Reserve allocations.  To propose the stand-up of any new units needs to include the consideration of what existing units will lose pers and funding in balance.

Equipment might be shared, but that only adds wear and tear, reducing lifespan, and creates (sometimes grievous) scheduling and prioritization issues.  All of which need to be resolved if "sharing" is to be the solution."

... which ties in to my post no 7....
In spite of that has been said and done, the Reserve budget has not been increased in any great way.  The only way to make money available is to rob Peter to pay Paul....  Units that consistently fail to meet it's personnel quotas will see their budget slashed .... sometimes unfairly - recruitment is often a problem at several levels - including CFRC & reserve CBG HQs

From what I got from the briefings is that we will take all the unfilled positions from the other units in and around Fredericton and give them to the Field Sqn.

Also don't forget 8CH, and the gunners. Also some might come from 37 CBG HQ.

Intresting twist is that both 31 SVC BN and 36 SVC BN are going to be combined to form 37 SVC BN with only one CO and RSM. So maybe some of the extra positions will also be given to the Engineers.

So, you're suggesting the plan is to scrape the Brigade for unfilled positions, at least the few that aren't plugged by NES soldiers that Orderly Rooms can't find the staff time to clear and release.  Is this a Brigade plan, or just wishful thinking in the Sapper world? I see at replies #5 and #6 you and geo described it as "talk afoot" and "rumor" (sic).

geo said:
Heh... yeah

Bit like the FES that is crawling out of the ooze in Winnipeg - A troop with the Ft Gary Horse

We are suppose to stand up in 2012 along with a FES in Saskatoon as 38 CER. I'm not sure if the Saskatoon FES has even started recruiting yet so we shall see how that goes.

Back