• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

5 year Cadet medals

C

Chief03

I went back to cadets tonite, and this new sergeant who I knew, and my RSM both said there was a new medal coming out.  It was for five year service in cadets.  If its true let me know or tell me if you've heard of it.

Peace
Chief03 :salute:

on the army side it was approved, suppose to be applications coming out this yr.

IMHO a waste of monies but who am I to decide how precious dollars are used.
who doesn't agree that instead of sending x number of cadets to camp more or having all units meet the required trg (not anything beyond), issuing a medal is a great idea ::)

Yes it is true, it was approved last year and it should be coming out this year. I also think it is a waste, it's just a way so a cwo can get a medal before they leave.

I will always agree that more funds for the system would be great.  It would be nice to see more trg provided and aids needed given from the CF.  However it may be a good idea to have a service medal.  Perhaps there are more requirements than just service.  I will look into it here in the EOA(Eastern Ontario Area).  Good luck too all this year at the LHQ.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

Anyone ever heard of a Canadian Decoration? Yeah, same thing, except it takes 12 years of undetected crime to get it.

LOL Inch!

Was at my LHQ today and I did hear some inklings about a cadet service medal.  I can't help thinking that this would be a retention tool though.  It begs the question why 5 years and not 6 or 7?  I guess if you can keep someone for 5 years and you give them a medal, perhaps they will stay for more.  Just my thoughts.

The Army Guy

Just a waste of money in my opinion, I got 3 while a cadet. Medals are nice to have but the money can be better spent, such as the aforementioned post about sending more kids to camp.

....  well I have a few ideas here for medals in the Cadet Corps

:)  being hurt on a field exercise ie. being whacked in the face by a tree branch

:)  bringing in 3 new recruits ( with gold leaf and bar etc. for more recruits or length of retention)

:)  Camps attended

Oli (GGHG)
        Mainz Germany

Is cost for these medals really a deterrant? How much money do you think the issue would cost? Maybe $10 each? I don't believe the argument of cost should enter into the picture. What should be discussed is the concept itself.

That a good idea everyone likes a medals. Is this new medal going to be for air and sea cadets?

So far it has only been approved for Army cadets. When I heard about it last year I thought that it was basically a retention medal. I also thought maybe it was a medal that was based on the C.D. I will try and find out the criteria tonight- I hope it is more than just 5 years in cadets because then it will be given out like candy.

Sgt.Fitzpatrick said:
That a good idea everyone likes a medals. Is this new medal going to be for air and sea cadets?
medals are suppose to mean something, something that is earned - NOT handed out like candy or a guarantee issue.
And why would the air cadets have it? We have our profiency level badges upto Level 5,
after that we don't have levels or years- we're usually a part of the sr's nco-s in a sqn. And once you get WO2/WO1 you can't wear them anyways.

AND we have our perfect attendance pins.

What more "pretty things" do we want on our uniforms?
We have more than we should already.

I can see your point about the "pretty things" as you call them.  I think this medal would provide those cadets who might otherwise not have previously been able to obtain one a shot at something tangible.  If the criteria is only service, then I think it's weak sauce if you know what I mean.  I'm hoping that there is something more to it.  I was not aware that WO1 and WO2 were not allowed dress medals.  Strange what you can find out on the WWW.  As I stated before I think this may be headed toward retention of personnel rather than something pretty for 5 year "veterans"  to just get handed.  No news yet on Air or Sea.  Hope to hear something from my LHQ soon.

The Army Guy

Alright,  well I think the medal should atleast have more to it than five years.  Like 5 years plus completion of all 3 cadet courses, because you could have a bunch of cadets that have been in for five years and don't even deserve one medal.  I have a bunch of cadets like that and one of em is a Sergeant.  So yea maybe it should be for something different.

Peace
Chief03 :threat:

The Army Guy said:
I can see your point about the "pretty things" as you call them. I think this medal would provide those cadets who might otherwise not have previously been able to obtain one a shot at something tangible. If the criteria is only service, then I think it's weak sauce if you know what I mean. I'm hoping that there is something more to it. I was not aware that WO1 and WO2 were not allowed dress medals. Strange what you can find out on the WWW. As I stated before I think this may be headed toward retention of personnel rather than something pretty for 5 year "veterans" to just get handed. No news yet on Air or Sea. Hope to hear something from my LHQ soon.

The Army Guy
WO2/WO1s can wear medals, I was referring to our profiency levels. Sorry for the miscommunication.

But in terms of pretty things, the air cadet uniform is getting cluttered. We have Junior Courses (Intro to Specialty) and Sr Courses (Advanced Speciality) and even basic octagons, all which we can wear,
not how alot of people across canada thought it should be implemented that if you take a course that has a followup course (eg Aircrew --> Survival Instructor, PERT --> Athletic Instructor etc) the badge gets replaced by the follow up course (if it didn't have an advance course, it could stay)

How it is implemented as of right now, ALL the courses that you take, can be worn all at once.
So in theory you could have 3 rows ( 3, 3,1) of octagons
plus your first aid badge, rank on both arms, rifle and fitness octagons, level profiency badges if under the rank of WO2, plus band level if you have it, and you get the picture of a much badged uniform.
add the medals that we can get - Lord Strathcona, Legion Excellence Medal, the AFA Leadership (SLC), the ANAVETS medal (top cadet on more senior courses)

and you begin to see where I'm coming from.

WOO! YEAH! lets get a medal for doing crap all and thinking we're mr/ms bigshot!

there should in my opinion be no cadets service medal, however im not god and there is anyways, i agree with an earlier post, its just a way for the RSM to get a/nother medal before he/she ages out, i think its also just an incentive to stay in
"ooo, lets stay in so we get a nice shiny medal"

HoZaNaH out.

Well here's what I can tell you.  Spoke to my CO on the weekend and he informed me that as far as he knows the service medal is for 5 years cadet service and thats it.  The cadet applies with the CO's approval of course and that's it.  This is not written in stone or anything.  It's just what I have understood so far.  If anymore comes to light I will let you all know.

The Army Guy

Symchyshyn said:
IMHO a waste of monies   .......

GGHG_Cadet said:
I also think it is a waste, .......

hopefully airborne soon said:
so true.  

MikeM said:
Just a waste of money in my opinion, .......

Symchyshyn said:
medals are suppose to mean something, something that is earned - NOT handed out like candy or a guarantee issue.

The Army Guy said:
If the criteria is only service, then I think it's weak sauce if you know what I mean.

Chief03 said:
  ....... you could have a bunch of cadets that have been in for five years and don't even deserve one medal.

Hozanah said:
WOO! YEAH! lets get a medal for doing crap all and thinking we're mr/ms bigshot!

Did you people miss Inch's comment?

Inch said:
Anyone ever heard of a Canadian Decoration? Yeah, same thing, except it takes 12 years of undetected crime to get it.

Perhaps I should assume you have an equally poor regard for the long service medals worn by the soldiers of the Regular and Reserve Force today. You should review the history of service medals issued to recognize periods of service:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group11

Many threads in this forum, started by Cadets, have denigrated the Cadet movement for being "less Army" than they may once have been. Soldiers receive awards recognizing long service. Since Cadets can serve only between the ages of 12 and 18, wouldn't a 5-year service medal recognize nearly the maximum a youth could contribute?

What, exactly, is wrong with adopting a traditional honour of recognition for service that soldiers have received for over a centrury?

I think that there is really a distinction between serving your country for 12 years of your life and being a cadet. I know there are really switched on cadets who really do work to improve their community and pass on their knowledge to their followers and in that case yes, they are exemplifying what cadets does best, but I also do know that there are cadets who just stick around because it's something to do, or all their friends are there.

5   years in serving your unit? Hmmm, it just doesn't fly with me as a retention idea because receiving a medal WILL NOT change peoples perspective on things - they don't want to be a part of their unit for x reasons then it is those x reasons you have to look at, and not receiving a pretty medal   with no more guidelines than just showing up for 5 yrs. Senior cadets will not be swayed by a medal, they will be swayed by their unit staff and what they accomplish with the cadets below.
And really, once you've been in for 5 yrs, you're usually a more senior rank - certainly a more senior cadet and that entales more responsibility and authority in influencing how a unit is ran.

Back