• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3649 Asks: MP Academy, Overtime & Time Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redeye said:
Only for meatheads, Moe :(

Whether things have changed that much , I don,t know, but its been my experience that Military Policemen/women usually don't appreciate the expression "Meathead", any more than LEO's appreciate Dicks,Pigs or Flatfoots. It is strange that these terms are never uttered in person face to face and/or dealings with breaches of the Law.

However, the use or referral by members of the Officer Corps I find very inappropriate, and the vast majority don't.

FastEddy said:
but its been my experience that Military Policemen/women usually don't appreciate the expression "Meathead",

I wonder if the term came because of the red cap covers? ie: red meat? In a war, they do look a bit like they have been dipped in blood.
The term goes back at least as far as WW2 in the CF.
At any rate, Archie Bunker certainly got a lot of mileage out of the term!

I have several friends who are Military Policemen, and none of whom seem to take any real offence to the term, as it is only meant in jest just as the nicknames which exist for virtually all arms and services.  In fact, that's what most of them seem to refer to themselves as in friendly company.  In any case, if you have been offended I do apologize.

FastEddy said:

Whether things have changed that much , I don,t know, but its been my experience that Military Policemen/women usually don't appreciate the expression "Meathead", any more than LEO's appreciate Dicks,Pigs or Flatfoots. It is strange that these terms are never uttered in person face to face and/or dealings with breaches of the Law.

However, the use or referral by members of the Officer Corps I find very inappropriate, and the vast majority don't.

Redeye said:
I have several friends who are Military Policemen, and none of whom seem to take any real offence to the term, as it is only meant in jest just as the nicknames which exist for virtually all arms and services.  In fact, that's what most of them seem to refer to themselves as in friendly company.  In any case, if you have been offended I do apologize.

Same here Redeye, in fact most of my MP friends use the term more than I do! I guess they are just a little more-thick skinned than some of their peers.

No so... the term is a slang, and most often used by people who find MPs being a distasteful, and often back stabbing MOC (having nothing to do but write people up).

I can see how some members can be offended by it, and some others not so much. But the comparison is equal to calling a CivPol member a derogatory term related to their employment.

MedTech said:
No so... the term is a slang, and most often used by people who find MPs being a distasteful, and often back stabbing MOC (having nothing to do but write people up).

I can see how some members can be offended by it, and some others not so much. But the comparison is equal to calling a CivPol member a derogatory term related to their employment.

I guess my MP friends find their jobs distasteful and filled with backstabbers. ::) It's a nickname that has been used probably as long as there has been MP's. In the infantry we have countless nicknames that are "derogatory" even though we use them amongst ourselves. I guess I just have more important things to worry about than whether or not a nickname is derogatory.

I found mention of "the word" on page 38 of this online book which would date the origin back to World War Two:
"Lamone: A novel about the Canadian Army in the Italian Campaign in World War II"
"Good Lord, a 'meathead' policeman, and we have to make him into an RCR! You can be damn sure all these service units are dumping all their 'deadheads' on us."
http://books.google.ca/books?id=8Irrs8QGnNIC&pg=PA38&lpg=PA38&dq=meathead+canadian+provost&source=bl&ots=569kWVDiqY&sig=jNQzjsESKi0Qud2Eg75pqQ7yLjs&hl=en&ei=kjDOSuXqE5GHlAfx0LypCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#v=onepage&q=meathead%20canadian%20provost&f=true

2 Cdo said:
I guess my MP friends find their jobs distasteful and filled with backstabbers. ::) It's a nickname that has been used probably as long as there has been MP's. In the infantry we have countless nicknames that are "derogatory" even though we use them amongst ourselves. I guess I just have more important things to worry about than whether or not a nickname is derogatory.

Whatever you may think, it still offends people who doesn't like being called that. I've got plenty of MP friends as well, but trust me, more people misunderstand the roles of MPs in the CF like civies with CivPol.

That's also it, it's okay for you to use it amongst yourselves because you joke about it and what not, but when someone else calls you that behind your back or in your face, it gets some people's blood going.

If you work MP/CivPol and get constantly bombarded with assholes that can't sort their crap out, and has to have you sort it out for them, you'd get a little annoyed too when the same shit rats calls you a derogatory slang.

FastEddy said:

It's no different than calling an armoured guy a zipperhead, an infanteer a grunt or an engineer a thumper. Mature, moderate thinking people just consider the source and act accordingly.

I think you're being overly sensitive there, MedTech.

All trades have their "nicknames" - and most of them aren't complimentary, if taken apart.

I was a "pencil pusher", you are a "pecker checker", my wife was a "bin rat", I have friends who are "meat heads", "grunts", "zipperheads", "herbies", "hairy asses", and the list goes on.

The military (please Gawd), may be the last bastion standing against political correctness - political correctness being a wellhead of foolishness I find bewildering.

There ARE some terms which are INTENDED to be demeaning, and are used with that intention.  Such is USUALLY not the case with the nicknames we have for each other within the military - I don't think anybody here meant to insult anybody else - let it go.

Roy,

I was just speaking from a different perspective that's all. I personally don't care, but can see why some would. I'm merely voicing things from their opinion.

Roy Harding said:
The military (please Gawd), may be the last bastion standing against political correctness

Where have I heard that before?  :)
http://books.google.ca/books?id=FYgAUqpDVZYC&pg=PA86&dq=200+years+of++unimpeded+by+progress#v=onepage&q=200%20years%20of%20%20unimpeded%20by%20progress&f=true

MedTech said:
Roy,

I was just speaking fron a different perspective that's all. I personally don't care, but can see why some would. I'm merely voicing things from their opinion.

Their opinion? Methinks it is your own, but whatever. I promise to never use the term again when the first MP I use it with takes offence. As others have stated every trade has nicknames, most not even remotely politically correct. I belong to the infantry and once with the airborne and have heard the gamut of un-PC nicknames and I react exactly like I said before, and as a follow up to that I concur 100% with recceguys last line.

2 Cdo said:
Their opinion? Methinks it is your own, but whatever. I promise to never use the term again when the first MP I use it with takes offence. As others have stated every trade has nicknames, most not even remotely politically correct. I belong to the infantry and once with the airborne and have heard the gamut of un-PC nicknames and I react exactly like I said before, and as a follow up to that I concur 100% with recceguys last line.

OK, "lawn dart"  ;)

Roy Harding said:
OK, "lawn dart"  ;)

Younger readers may not recognise the origin of that term, Roy. Canada banned lawn darts aka "death with fins"  20 years ago:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/Lawndart.jpg
Even the sale of second hand lawn darts is prohibited. We used to enjoy that game when we were kids. Nearly killed, but Big Time thrilled.
Now replaced by something safer, but less fun:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole

Roy Harding said:
OK, "lawn dart"  ;)

That's one of the nice ones! Usually uttered by "legs" or "wogs". :eek:Can you feel the love? 8)

Roy Harding said:
The military (please Gawd), may be the last bastion standing against political correctness - political correctness being a wellhead of foolishness I find bewildering.

Roy I have to warn you I am surprised that "ironman" is still the name of a competition,and master seaman is still a rank.Ever get in trouble for having a girl in a bathing suit up inside a locked locker?
I have.

It wouldnt surprise me for one second someone getting charged with harassment for calling someone a grunt,zipperhead etc.

X-mo-1979 said:
Roy I have to warn you I am surprised that "ironman" is still the name of a competition,and master seaman is still a rank.Ever get in trouble for having a girl in a bathing suit up inside a locked locker?
I have.

It wouldnt surprise me for one second someone getting charged with harassment for calling someone a grunt,zipperhead etc.

I am just a reservist these days but the day someone is charged and found guilty of harrassment for calling someone a nickname is the day I give my 30 days notice and walk away from the madness.

3649 said:
Now I understand that after BMQ there is an automatic promotion to Corporal. 

This is news to me.

I think someone has been telling you porky-pies mate.

Regards,

OWDU

Only EDITs to say "don't believe everything you hear."

As far as this discussion has come from overtime pay...don't get me started...as far as I know, the term Meatheat...is actually meet head.  Whereas during WWI and II when MPs were used as security along a front or at the entrance to where ever, they would be on guard in a trench.  As the incoming patrol would approach, they would be challenged and then would advance and, "meet the head", hence meet head.  As for me, you can call me meathead as much as you want, as long as you can take a zipperhead/lawn dart, in return...no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back