• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

30 Sept 2017: Possible Terrorist Incident in Edmonton

Is it 11 years? Media wa saying 2 weeks. Wishing a speedy recovery to the constable and the four victims.

No Name said:
Is it 11 years? Media wa saying 2 weeks. Wishing a speedy recovery to the constable and the four victims.

The officer who was struck, Mike Chernyk, has 11 years in. The two week rookie was one of the two members who identified him hours later at the road block, called him in, and presumably initiated the pursuit.

God bless, protect and speed the recovery both mental and physical to all the victims.

And if he could, possibly, doing something a little less pleasant to the criminal scum who did this id be most appreciative. Hellfire and brimstone works for me.

Abdullah

A little more detail, via CBC.ca ...
Terrorism-related charges are pending against a man accused of stabbing a police officer and deliberately plowing a cube van into pedestrians in Edmonton on Saturday night, the RCMP says.

The suspect was known to both RCMP and police, RCMP K Division Assistant Commissioner Marlin Degrand told a news conference at Edmonton RCMP headquarters on Sunday afternoon. The man is a Somali refugee.

In 2015, after a complaint was made to the Edmonton Police Service that the man was displaying signs of extremism, members of the Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET) launched an investigation, Degrand said.

The suspect was interviewed by members of INSET, but there was "insufficient evidence" to make an arrest and the suspect was deemed "not a threat," Degrand said.

Abdulahi Hasan Sharif is the man accused in the attacks, multiple sources have told CBC News.

Degrand said the suspect has yet to be charged but is under arrest for offences including participation in a terrorist attack, commission of an offence for a terrorist group, five counts of attempted murder, dangerous driving, criminal flight causing bodily harm, and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose ...
More @ link

I was super relieved to read that the police officer and civilians weren't killed.

I wasn't surprised to read the PM use the word terrorist. I think the liberal party say some stupid things but they're not politically dumb.

Police are pretty big targets, especially when they're stationary and alone. I wonder if this will cause the RCMP to look at the guidelines and stuff for what they consider dangerous extremism and what they don't.

First court appearance done - back in court next month ...
Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, the man accused of stabbing an Edmonton police constable on the weekend and running down four pedestrians on Jasper Avenue, made a brief first appearance Tuesday in an Edmonton courtroom.

Provincial court Judge Laura Stevens put the case over for six weeks to allow time for Sharif to get a lawyer and for the Crown to disclose whatever evidence it has.

Sharif, 30, remains in custody and will next be in court Nov. 14. Stevens said bail can be spoken to any time before then with a few days' notice.

A Somali refugee, Sharif is charged with five counts of attempted murder, four counts of criminal flight causing bodily harm, and one count each of dangerous driving and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.

Still showing a bruise on his forehead that Edmonton police said resulted during two vehicle crashes on Saturday night, Sharif appeared in court without his hands cuffed. A Somali interpreter helped him understand the proceedings. Sharif appeared to be attentive and listening closely.

Edmonton defence lawyer Chady Moustarah assisted Sharif for Tuesday's appearance only. He said a community member is in the process of retaining counsel for Sharif ...
A bit more @ link

Zat so?
Authorities in the United States say a Somali refugee accused of attacking a police officer and running down four pedestrians in Edmonton was ordered removed from the country in 2011 by an immigration judge.

(...)

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said Tuesday that Sharif was transferred into its custody at the Otay Mesa Detention Center in San Diego on July 15, 2011, by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

It says Sharif was ordered removed to Somalia on Sept. 22, 2011, and he waived his right to appeal the decision.

About two months later, he was released on an order of supervision by the department in San Diego "due to a lack of likelihood of his removal in the reasonably foreseeable future.''

He failed to report on his scheduled date of Jan. 24, 2012, and efforts to find him were not successful, the department said in a statement.

Sharif's name is spelled Abdullahi Hassan Sharif in the United States.

An official with Immigration and Customs Enforcement who spoke on the condition of anonymity told The Canadian Press they have no reason to believe it is not the same man.

Both a U.S. and Canadian government official told The Associated Press it is the same man.

The U.S. official said slightly different spellings are not uncommon. She also agreed to discuss the matter only if not quoted by name, because she was not authorized to discuss certain details of the case.

A spokesman for Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said Sharif entered Canada from the United States through a regular port of entry in 2012 and was granted refugee status later that year.

"As minister Goodale has stated, there was no information that would have raised any red flags when he entered Canada. Due to privacy laws we cannot disclose further details of this case,'' Scott Bardsley said in an emailed statement ...

I wonder how many others have slipped through with "no information that would have raised any red flags" in the last several years. Didn't the Trudeau government rely on UN security screening for the 35,000?

Rifleman62 said:
I wonder how many others have slipped through with "no information that would have raised any red flags" in the last several years. Didn't the Trudeau government rely on UN security screening for the 35,000?

Enough money can make plenty of fake credentials, practice a fake background story, etc... While I don't wanna sound too cynical, it is more then possible here.

Did Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale ever get around to fixing his "bombing" comment on Twitter about this attack?

Jarnhamar said:
Did Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale ever get around to fixing his "bombing" comment on Twitter about this attack?
I defer to Francophones around these parts, but the word used in the French version of the PM's statement was "attentat", which GoogTrans says is "bombing."  I'm guessing that in context, it can mean also mean "attack" - albeit not as directly as a term like "attaque".  And if social media's default translator is Google, you get "bombing".

That could be it. Maybe there is a discrepancy in translators? Google translate is showing the attack for l'attentat.  Attentat shows up the attempt.  My bad.

The latest ...
A man convicted of attacking an Edmonton police officer and then running down four pedestrians with a U-Haul van has been sentenced to a total of 28 years in prison.

Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, 32, was handed 18 years for striking Const. Mike Chernyk with a car before stabbing him multiple times outside a football game in September 2017.

“It was a miracle that Const. Chernyk was not killed or seriously injured, but the lack of serious injury was a function of chance and in no way mitigates the gravity of what occurred,” Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Paul Belzil said Friday as he delivered the sentence.

“The facts in this case are unique and extraordinary.”

( ... )

Sharif was convicted by a jury in October on the charges that included five counts of attempted murder, criminal flight causing bodily harm and dangerous driving ...

28 years is a pretty heavy sentence, particularly given nobody died. Not bad.

Hi folks,

Moderators please forgive me -- I tried to search for the relevant thread for a while the other night, and couldn't find it.  Feel free to merge.

For those of you who may not have been aware, in regards to the attack on police & pedestrians that occurred in 2017 in Edmonton - the crown did NOT bring any terror related charges against the accused.  This baffled many of us, as the accused was found with an ISIS flag & ISIS memorabilia inside the vehicle he used to commit the attacks.

(I can personally verify this, as I was on scene, and arrived only about 20 to 30 seconds after the vehicle was taken down.)

I just wanted to post a video that was recently shown to me (Only posted 10 months ago), which I was surprised I hadn't seen previously.  It is from the police helicopter that was essentially acting as a C2 node during the beginning of 'the event'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVXOx0bH1Fc

:cheers:

He didn't get paid out 10 million dollars, so I guess that that is something.

Back