• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 PPCLI OP APOLLO

slayer/raptor

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm currently doing some research, and I was wondering if anyone on here knows if 3 PPCLI BG in 2002 on OP APOLLO actually saw combat (TICs, raids etc)? None of my research so far has proven to give me concrete examples of 3 PPCLI coming into contact with the enemy. I'm aware that they received the CinC commendation (which is reserved for combat operations), but I have not stumbled on videos or articles describing actual firefights taking place. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

slayer/raptor said:
I was wondering if anyone on here knows if 3 PPCLI BG in 2002 on OP APOLLO actually saw combat (TICs, raids etc)?

Mark C said:
3 PPCLI Battlegroup's 2002 deployment to Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom/Apollo in the war on terrorism would be the most recent case in point.  Our 850-person infantry battlegroup conducted 6 months of offensive and defensive combat operations as an integral battalion within Task Force Rakassan - 3rd Brigade of the U.S. 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault).  Aside from defending Kandahar Airfield from Al Qaida and Taliban attack, the battlegroup conducted 2 combat air assaults, 1 air-mechanized reconaissance-in-force, and multiple quick-reaction-force tasks to secure downed helicopters in "no man's land", destroy weapon and ammunition caches, etc.  The "gloves were off" so to speak, and 3 PPCLI BG did everything that their U.S. counterparts did in terms of combat operations in Afghanistan. 

Operation Apollo
Deployment of the 3 PPCLI Battle Group
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Apollo#Deployment_of_the_3_PPCLI_Battle_Group
"During their six months in Afghanistan, the soldiers of the 3 PPCLI Battle Group performed tasks ranging from airfield security to combat."

3 PPCLI operated out of Kandahar Airfield (KAF) as part of the US 187th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division. The Third Battalion performed numerous combat operations against Al-Qaeda and Taliban insurgents. The 3 PPCLI BG served on OP APOLO from 4 February to 30 July 2002.
https://ppcli.com/ppcli-museum-description/regimental-history/afghanistan/

Back