• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2FER or GGHG

JohnnySav

Inactive
Reaction score
Handed in the application to 2FER (Field Engineers) but after looking at the GGHG (RECCE) I really don't know anymore. Sappers as the recruiting officer told us are the most adaptable and have "golden" Opportunities to partake in Infantry and RECCE style units etc... but I don't know, I personally work construction outside of the military, and frankly, I've run Excavators, Rubber-Tire Hoes, tools etc...

Advice?

:warstory:

I was a guard and once your Horse Guard you never look back, great family and regiment life. if you already  run heavy  equipment and stuff I would go FER because they  will use your skills more then you know. Good chance for quick trades training to learn the army way  and  there are a lot guys in the FER like you. Use your street skills and learn new army  skills to use on the street. Might be a good fit for you.

you will learn more skills at the FER that  will be useful to you at work,
now that  the GGHG is no longer a heavy gun unit it is not as much fun i think

either way  you will enjoy it

am somewhat biased on this subject, think that going Combat Engineer is the way to go BUT that's just me.....

In the end, it's a matter of what you want to do...

By the sounds of it, you've had a taste of the construction / destruction side of our business. If you do this day in and day out, you might want to do something else but..... for what it's worth - I strongly recommend the Engineers :)

You will find that the Reserve / Regular relationship of engineers is quite strong (which is more than I can say for some of the other branches) oportunities abound for trade courses and attachments...

C'mon down & have a visit
we'll make ya feel at home and maybe make ya work that noggin of yours for a bit

Chimo!

Yeah I'll stick to 2FER because im in University now anyway gettin a BA so after i get my degree ill do Officer training and go Infantry that was the original plan, I just wanna experience life as an NCM first and your right the engineers work with their hands and head, it'll be a good background to have upon the infantry transfer

There is only one way to go....Armour!!!  If you want the elite of the Black-hats, come to the Ontario Regiment.  May be a bit of a drive to Oshawa from the Toronto area, but I assure you, coming from the Toronto area units, it is the only place to be.

.....once you go black, you never go back.

(sev) specially equipped vehicle or a little jeep?
c4 explosives or a pair binoculars?
bridge building or running around peeping?

2nd Field Engineering Regiment or gghg?

i am in 2fer and i rather no other i personly don't know about u but u should come to the true family of the engineers.

Being Armour, which I am naturally biased towards, I wonder at you logic?  I know that Engineers do lots of things, but I highly doubt a Reserve Engr unit will offer you much.  I don't think you will honestly see any opportunity to use any Heavy Equip (actually operate it) while in the Reserves.  Perhaps you'll have the opportunity to in close proximity to it on a tasking to the Reg Force or on Exercise, but unless you have a CF qualification, even if you operate one on Civie Street, you are not likely going to be able to touch it. 

As for transferable skills from Engr to Inf, I can not think of very many.  If you go Armd, you'll definitely be getting Driving Courses and a Military Lic (404) in order to do your job.  You'll pick up Map Using and Navigation skills, Communications skills, Weapons handling skills on numerous weapons, become familiar with Tactics and will be more likely to be out using these skills in a combat related role.  These skills would be much more transferable to the Infantry than learning how to use C4 (which is not in the Infantry 'inventory') or how to use Heavy Earth moving machines.  If you intend to become an Infantry Officer, I would suggest the Armour route. 

Besides, it is a change from what you do everyday at your current job - or are you afraid of something different?  Some Change?  ;D

Afraid? No. It's good to see responses though, it's actually helping me out here, thanks guys, appreciate it.

George Wallace said:
Being Armour, which I am naturally biased towards, I wonder at you logic?   I know that Engineers do lots of things, but I highly doubt a Reserve Engr unit will offer you much.   I don't think you will honestly see any opportunity to use any Heavy Equip (actually operate it) while in the Reserves.   Perhaps you'll have the opportunity to in close proximity to it on a tasking to the Reg Force or on Exercise, but unless you have a CF qualification, even if you operate one on Civie Street, you are not likely going to be able to touch it.  

As for transferable skills from Engr to Inf, I can not think of very many.   If you go Armd, you'll definitely be getting Driving Courses and a Military Lic (404) in order to do your job.   You'll pick up Map Using and Navigation skills, Communications skills, Weapons handling skills on numerous weapons, become familiar with Tactics and will be more likely to be out using these skills in a combat related role.   These skills would be much more transferable to the Infantry than learning how to use C4 (which is not in the Infantry 'inventory') or how to use Heavy Earth moving machines.   If you intend to become an Infantry Officer, I would suggest the Armour route.  

Besides, it is a change from what you do everyday at your current job - or are you afraid of something different?   Some Change?    ;D

George Wallace said:
!"As for transferable skills from Engr to Inf, I can not think of very many.   If you go Armd, you'll definitely be getting Driving Courses and a Military Lic (404) in order to do your job.   You'll pick up Map Using and Navigation skills, Communications skills, Weapons handling skills on numerous weapons, become familiar with Tactics and will be more likely to be out using these skills in a combat related role.   These skills would be much more transferable to the Infantry than learning how to use C4 (which is not in the Infantry 'inventory') or how to use Heavy Earth moving machines."  

George, seems like quite a generic list to me.  And as a Sapper the C4 is thrown into boot.

"Sappers do it everywhere"
AIRBORNE

George.....
You`re right.... you are biased (not complaint - just observation)

Given how close engineers work with the infantry now days ( bye, bye Pioneers ) there are a lot of transferable skills that this fine upstanding young fella will be able to bring to the officer corps sometime in the future.

5CER has even started detaching some young officers to the R22R so they can get experience as Inf Platoon commanders. One benefit is that these guys know
- what resources are available,
- how to get them,
- how much time it really takes to get these same resources on the ground and working
(Young infantry officers usually don`t have a clue & have tendency of going off 1/2 cocked IMHO)

Have a great day

Chimo!

Geo
(another George :) )

Yes, it quite a generic list, but proficiency in those skills is something you will find in the Armour Corps more so than in any other Trade.  The Patrolling and Surveillance skills you pick up in Armour, are more on par with Recce Platoon, than any other trade.  If you want to really see things go "Boom", call in a Fire Mission or Direct Fire from a DSV.  

Back