• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

23 Oct 1969 - HMCS Kootenay (merged)

There is one pic around reported to be Kootenay just prior to sinking which I have on my website ( http://www.forposterityssake.ca/Navy/HMCS%20KOOTENAY%20258.htm )

I believe this pic is actually Restigouche.  If you look at photos of Kootenay which were reported to be taken in 2003, you will notice she does not have her gun turret forward and she has both anchor pocket doors.  The pic reported of Kootenay just prior to sinking shows a ship with a turret but missing the Starboard anchor pocket door.

The Swiss divers association has a photo of resitgouche sinking - and the holes cut in the side match the ones on the pic reported to be Kootenay, plus the Starboard anchor picket door is missing on the one of Restigouche sinking.

Based on that, I will say the pic of "Kootenay" just prior to sinking is actually Restigouche.

I believe that at least up to 2003, Kootenay was still afloat at Monzanillo.  What has happened to her since is not known, but we are still searching for an answer.

Pat, I am not on World Navy Ships forum.

Having done some searching, we find it odd that Restigouche is listed as being an artificial reef, but that there is no mention of Kootenay.  It does not make sense for one to be listed while the other is not, and we have not been able to confirm the supposed sinking.  As Gee Dub has stated we are still looking for an answer.

ABRP23-10-69 said:
Pat, I am not on World Navy Ships forum.

Having done some searching, we find it odd that Restigouche is listed as being an artificial reef, but that there is no mention of Kootenay.  It does not make sense for one to be listed while the other is not, and we have not been able to confirm the supposed sinking.  As Gee Dub has stated we are still looking for an answer.

It would be nice to find out what happened. I would say most likely it was towed out and sank, as it was becoming a burden to the Mexican authorities. The environmental laws in Mexico are pretty non existent.

Back