• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

21 April 2005 - GDF 005 Twin 35mm guns will be retired

022 AD Gunner

Well it is now set in stone that during EX Potent Knight on 21 April 2005, the GDF 005 Twin 35mm gun will fire 500 rds HEI (ground engagement) for the last time here in Canada. from X-21 Lundys lane, CFB Suffield.

One more Artillery Gun that will stand down on that day... :salute:

31 Dec 2006 will see the final 2 Skyguard Mk II withdrawn from service.. :salute:

Another End of mission.

I can honestly say that the twin 35 mm gun system in a direct role is one of the coolest things I ever saw.  Almost made me switch from field artillery to air defence (almost!).

Stand easy....

To bad this wasn't the air defense system being mounted on Lav Chassis.  Now you are talking about a wicked new DFSV.  What will be the AD asset of the CF?

The ADATS are being reroled into the MMEV (Direct Fire with a secondary role of air defence).  Are we keeping the Javelins?

I thought the javelins have all expired and being taken out of service. I got a friend in the reserve AD and he told me that Reg F AD assets are moving to Edmonton and all the reserve AD guys gotta switch to Mud arty.

The 35mm is a great gun system, it just does not have much of job in the army....
We tried to drag the thing up and down the range roads, thru the swamps, and some deserts...
It was bought to protect the airfields, yet that was forgotten by the brass.
I for one will miss it, but I am lucky as I will be there to see it fire one more time..

:army: LEFT CANNON CLEAR   :bullet:- RIGHT CANNON CLEAR   :bullet:- GUN CLEAR :army:

What can I say, Troops ?

M109, 35mm Oerlikon, SkyGuard...........talk about a kick in the ole cajones with a frozen mukluk !!!!

Ubique

It would appear that the Army is transforming. Gee isn't it great that NDHQ planners can think (don't you love these terms) outside the box. Get rid of the guns, get rid of the armour , what's next ?  After all why would an army want things like air defence, artillary support or armoured support for infantry they have armoured vests don't they. The other army's of the world are so behind us in their thinking but they will soon see the light. Right. 

Good last round for an excellent piece of kit.  Would not want to be infantry coming up against this beast or the M113 chassis that was turned into swiss cheese. Too bad it will be auctioned off to the highest bidder! So long to our colours! Bring on the guidon.

If we combined our Leo chassis and the 35mms we would have a very potent weapon system on a well protected (if difficult to ship) platform.

Oh wait the Germans already have them.

Im pretty sad about the ADATS goin out... That one system pretty much made me wanna join up in the first place! What a shame  :salute:

Back