• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 UCP Alberta election

If you look at the map its the most blatant display of urban/rural divide I've seen.

Edmonton has already hit that mark 100%, but It’s a government employed city full of unions and government handouts, what else would you expect. I don’t think it’s surprising that Calgary is becoming more and more of a shit-hole full of bitchy little hipsters. The wokesters are multiplying after the left went at the students, we are finally seeing the end results. If the left picked up a blue collar side-skill at the same fevor of which they complain, a lot of stuff could get done.

That was quite the election.
If you look at the map its the most blatant display of urban/rural divide I've seen.

The other thing to look at is the UPC lost 11 seats and saw a drop of 2.32% in votes.

DS needs to do some work to shore up support for her and her party. Its a good victory, but its not trending well.

I’ll be curious to see how this will impact a federal election. I’m sure the LPC will point to DS as a « this could happen » if you elect the cpc.

Also I will be curious if she pushes through plans for a provincial pension plan and police force.

That being said, I think her biggest challenge in leading will come from her own party. Can she survive a full term?

So far as I know, not a single 'anomoly' has been checked nor has a grave been exhumed. There is no definitive proof of their claim. Just hearsay. If there has been, perhaps someone can post an article? Who gets the payments? A single entity tasked with disbursement? Or individuals that can prove a family attachment, through a disappeared relative from one of the schools? We know how the first option often plays out in FN communities. The second would be a logistical nightmare.

I think the Irish should start pushing for slave reparations based on oral history. No need for any physical proof counter to their message. Just take their word for it and give them money.

Come to think of it, my grandfather was brought from England as child labour for a blacksmith. He was 6 years old when he made the passage. Where's my money?🤔😁

Last edited:

The other thing to look at is the UPC lost 11 seats and saw a drop of 2.32% in votes.

DS needs to do some work to shore up support for her and her party. Its a good victory, but its not trending well.
That is a map you see all across the western world. And it wouldnt surprise me if it were true everywhere. IIRC before there were Whigs and Tories there was Town and Country.

I’ll be curious to see how this will impact a federal election. I’m sure the LPC will point to DS as a « this could happen » if you elect the cpc.

Also I will be curious if she pushes through plans for a provincial pension plan and police force.

That being said, I think her biggest challenge in leading will come from her own party. Can she survive a full term?
I think the Provincial Pension Plan will quietly disappear, much like Chretien's threat to get rid of the GST. Provincial Police Force? This one may have legs. Keeping the National Police Force in contracting policing because of ......tradition is not having a mature conversation about that institution.

Funny the FN always say "We don't want to disturb them" What they really mean is that definitive data will reduce the impact of our claim and limit our bargaining position. There are some FN people that would like to know what became of their ancestors, but the leadership knows that keeping things murky is far more effective.

Exactly.

Don't expect digging to start for another 10-15 years and a few billion dollars of consaultations later.

Provincial Police Force? This one may have legs. Keeping the National Police Force in contracting policing because of ......tradition is not having a mature conversation about that institution.

The province has promised funding to support Grande Prairie in creating a municipal force and transitioning away from RCMP. They have a process underway to hire a chief, and expect to start wider hiring in the fall. I think we can expect the province to support other municipalities who wish to move away from RCMP.

As to a provincial service? That will obviously be a pretty long project, but if the province wants it and is willing to fund it they can do it. An Alberta Provincial Police will face the same struggles to attract applicants willing to police remote and very rural locations, same as the RCMP. But that’s a problem the province can throw money at in terms of remote posting incentives.

I think the Provincial Pension Plan will quietly disappear, much like Chretien's threat to get rid of the GST. Provincial Police Force? This one may have legs. Keeping the National Police Force in contracting policing because of ......tradition is not having a mature conversation about that institution.

And they don't like it when government outsources for objective advice about the subject, either ;)

Feds’ contract for advice on residential school unmarked graves a ‘misstep’: advocates​

The National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation says there are many problems with a $2 million contract Ottawa recently signed with an international group to get its advice on unmarked graves.
70c8fc80

The centre says it is “deeply concerned” with the decision by Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada to hire a Netherlands-based organization to launch “an extremely sensitive engagement process” on issues surrounding possible gravesites near former residential schools.
“Beginning with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, there has been a clear understanding that any work related to the harms caused by the residential school system must be led by Indigenous Peoples and that survivors must be at the heart of this work,” Cynthia Wesley-Esquimaux, who chairs the centre’s governing circle, said in a statement on Monday.

“Putting the planned engagement process in the hands of a non-Indigenous (organization) is a misstep, and a very worrying one at that.”
The federal government recently announced it had hired the International Commission on Missing Persons to provide it with advice, after it conducted an outreach campaign with communities that signalled an interest in hearing about options around DNA analysis and other forensic techniques.

While Ottawa says it hired the commission because of the feedback from communities and it has a mandate to assist their searches, the centre and other advocates say the work around unmarked graves must happen independent of the federal government, since it funded the church-run residential school system in the first place.

Last week, the commission released a copy of the technical agreement it signed with the government in January, confirming that its final report will be due by mid-June. Federal officials will be allowed to comment on drafts of the report and be present for meetings related to the group’s work, the agreement says.

As to a provincial service? That will obviously be a pretty long project, but if the province wants it and is willing to fund it they can do it. An Alberta Provincial Police will face the same struggles to attract applicants willing to police remote and very rural locations, same as the RCMP. But that’s a problem the province can throw money at in terms of remote posting incentive
How about hiring locals? Cripes most rural places could have a force of middle agers for all the crime that goes on. No need to hire some kid from downtown Vancouver to chase the 18 year old yokels. The local guy or girl will know the parents, know the back roads, and know the people (the trustworthy ones and the ones doing bad shit).

How about hiring locals? Cripes most rural places could have a force of middle agers for all the crime that goes on. No need to hire some kid from downtown Vancouver to chase the 18 year old yokels. The local guy or girl will know the parents, know the back roads, and know the people (the trustworthy ones and the ones doing bad shit).
Is this a serious post?

Danielle Smith backed off the APP a few months ago saying as it was proposed it is dead. That doesn’t mean they won’t propose a different way- but it’s not a priority presently. It was and then it wasn’t,

Well sure, if a bunch of locals are suddenly
motivated to get into policing, obviously a new service could seek to hire them. That said, a provincial force would need to staff a lot of places where there’s no local appetite to join the police, so anyone joining a provincial force would need to be prepared to relocate. Or, if rural municipalities want to establish their own local police services, I’m sure they could- though it would be expensive, probably to the point of being cost prohibitive.

The province will likely need to be prepared to step in with something similar to the direct subsidy for policing costs currently provided by the federal government. But, I don’t doubt the Alberta provincial government will be willing to shell this out to achieve a made in Alberta policing solution, probably continued gradual expansion in the role of the sheriffs. More power to them. I still think the greatest challenge will be attracting enough applicants who want to police rural/remote Alberta.

You might be surprised at the nasty shit that goes on in remote rural communities, anywhere in Canada

The municipalities and communities were offered three options in Alberta. A) Maintaining the RCMP for a decade after while they explored the other two options- B) creating a regional force with neighbouring communities and municipalities or a municipal force- without a provincial offset c) accepting the APP as deployed in that area

That plan was said to be dead in the water mid-April by the deputy premier.

The idea of making “good ole boy” departments as a solution to the loss of the rcmp in rural communities is complete nonsense. The complexity of what goes on in rural places is a lot more than ATV theft from farms. Also Criticize the Nova Scotia rcmp all you want but Imagine the Nova Scotia incident with zero experienced and resourced police officers.

The province has promised funding to support Grande Prairie in creating a municipal force and transitioning away from RCMP. They have a process underway to hire a chief, and expect to start wider hiring in the fall. I think we can expect the province to support other municipalities who wish to move away from RCMP.

As to a provincial service? That will obviously be a pretty long project, but if the province wants it and is willing to fund it they can do it. An Alberta Provincial Police will face the same struggles to attract applicants willing to police remote and very rural locations, same as the RCMP. But that’s a problem the province can throw money at in terms of remote posting incentives.
Remotely posting someone across the province (If provincial police) is far cry different from posting across the nation (Mounties)

Reactions: QV

"this could happen" - is going to be taken as a net positive over the alternative of a Trudeau/CCP alliance.

I think Alberta will do very well with DS and the UCP. Rachel Notley, take a hint, you lost twice, resign and go away

Remotely posting someone across the province (If provincial police) is far cry different from posting across the nation (Mounties)
It really isn’t. There are less “desirable” spots when you have a province (just by virtue of size)- a posting to Assumption is a posting to assumption no matter what. Now it will be an open ended post with less desirable postings afterwards.

The Alberta government also knew this- when they were told why it can’t work to move people in the model they had- they said they would just “force people to move”…which they can’t really. They were hanging their hat on the amount of specialized positions they had in Edmonton and Calgary- saying they would just move those positions outwards…which was met with “they would just retire or lateral to Edmonton or Calgary”

This is a government that struggles to staff isolated and smaller places in its infinitely smaller sheriffs program. They know in their heart of hearts they don’t have an answer for these issues

I still think the greatest challenge will be attracting enough applicants who want to police rural/remote Alberta.

Not specific to any Canadian province, or U.S. state, but it seems to me - yes, I could be wrong - many ( how many? ) young people from rural and small towns are attracted to emergency services in the big cities.

Maybe, from watching TV, they think it's exciting. Maybe, because that's where the jobs are. Who knows?

But, after they have worked the night-time city streets too long, they want to "do a lateral" to a quieter municipality. Who can blame them?

Don't feel the need to concern myself with politics in provinces I am not eligible to vote in.

But, here in Ontario, because municipalities are OMERS, it's easy enough to "do a lateral" from the big city to a town with a lower call volume.

The province will likely need to be prepared to step in with something similar to the direct subsidy for policing costs currently provided by the federal government.
Question - Do the Feds subsidize the OPP and SdQ? Because I would think those two provinces would have a legit beef that their provincial police are not subsidized while the other provinces are. And further to this, why would the Feds stop subsidizing provincial police? No RCMP contracting police means less requirement for RCMP members as those members would be focused on National Policing, but the same amount of money would be available to the provincial forces.
As for local police, would the cops in the AOR of SW MB need to be booted and spurred to the level of Tier 2 SOF? There is a pile of money wasted there.

I think Alberta will do very well with DS and the UCP. Rachel Notley, take a hint, you lost twice, resign and go away
News pundits are saying since she gained from the last election she should stay and continue.

Back