• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 UCP Alberta election

From Jen Gerson of The Line, who is no raging lefty. She says she knows Danielle Smith and thinks her biggest weakness is her lack of discernment on information she receives, i.e. she has an inability to determine if information she receives is good or bad.

Left or right, I want leaders who are boring competent managers that show good judgment. We already have a PM that doesn’t show good judgment.

There will be a near total onslaught media war against DS for all the things she talked about in the Peterson interview. Hopefully, enough voters can see through all that bullshit. But I'm not optimistic.

From Jen Gerson of The Line, who is no raging lefty. She says she knows Danielle Smith and thinks her biggest weakness is her lack of discernment on information she receives, i.e. she has an inability to determine if information she receives is good or bad.

Left or right, I want leaders who are boring competent managers that show good judgment. We already have a PM that doesn’t show good judgment.
That was a very worthwhile read, thanks. I like reading Gerson’s stuff. She definitely hits the nail on the head on this one- Smith appears to be taking a lot of stuff at face value when she should, by now, know better.

When the leaders were asked about Smith’s ancestry claim, many in the room erupted with laughter.

“A true Indigenous person would not go against all the treaty people of this land,” said Alexis.
“What we’re realizing is that anybody wants to be a part of the Indigenous community if there’s a benefit.”
Well that's quite the stretch,.......met a 50/50 man this past summer who hated Natives like no one I ever met before. He'd more then blow the whole "treaty, benefits, all of it" sky high.

Or would this make him 'not indigenous" to those folk??

When you're white, you're free to be whatever you want to be. Everyone else belongs to a group which has an identity which it is forbidden to oppose.

- Smith appears to be taking a lot of stuff at face value when she should, by now, know better.

Party politics aside, do you trust her judgement?

I ask because I have a sister lives in Alberta.

That was a very worthwhile read, thanks. I like reading Gerson’s stuff. She definitely hits the nail on the head on this one- Smith appears to be taking a lot of stuff at face value when she should, by now, know better.
Must be watching CBC and CTV news. :sneaky:

Must be watching CBC and CTV news. :sneaky:
I don’t watch TV news, pretty much ever.

Party politics aside, do you trust her judgement?

I ask because I have a sister lives in Alberta.
I haven’t paid enough attention to meaningfully answer that. My surface level understanding of what she intends to do with healthcare coverage, as well as what she has said about her purported plans to legislate ‘sovereignty’, do not fill me with confidence that she has surrounded herself with the most astute or capable advisors. I would have to spend much more time reading about her her platform and history to say much more than that.

I haven’t paid enough attention to meaningfully answer that. My surface level understanding of what she intends to do with healthcare coverage, as well as what she has said about her purported plans to legislate ‘sovereignty’, do not fill me with confidence that she has surrounded herself with the most astute or capable advisors. I would have to spend much more time reading about her her platform and history to say much more than that.
I meant her, but good to know.

Whatever else happens, I'm sure that Alberta's hubris will skyrocket along with the highest oil revenues in years ;)

Alberta ends 2021-22 with surprise C$3.9 bln surplus on higher oil prices​

Canada's oil-producing province of Alberta ended the 2021-22 fiscal year with a surprise surplus of C$3.9 billion ($3 billion), its first in seven years, helped by the economy reopening after the pandemic and a surge in energy prices, the government said on Tuesday.

The province had initially projected a deficit of C$18.2 billion for the 2021/22 fiscal year, before significantly revising down the deficit forecast to C$3.2 billion in a scheduled third-quarter update on Feb. 24, the day Russia launched an invasion of Ukraine.

There will be a near total onslaught media war against DS for all the things she talked about in the Peterson interview. Hopefully, enough voters can see through all that bullshit. But I'm not optimistic.

There Peterson interview with Smith was a good watch, albeit choppy in the way its edited.

I was nice to hear her expand on things like sovereignty.

Swine profiteering government. Feds ought to tax away their windfall.
I'm sure there's plenty of casting around for a plan, from Ottawa, to do just that.
The red and orange liberals will use it, as talking points, against Alberta and Smith, if nothing else.

Thanks. I don't vote in their elections, but my sister does. So, I was interested in a non-partisan opinion.

• Humorous
Reactions: QV

That’s, uh… That’s certainly legislation. Various aspects of it are prone to getting destroyed in court, but that may be a feature and not a bug. The UCP may have deliberately crafted a populist yet knowingly unconstitutional law with the precise intent of it getting shot down and further stoking the sovereigntist fire.

'It's incoherent': Analyst reacts to Alta. Premier Smith's sovereignty act​

CTV, Scott (Beer and Popcorn, Liberal) Reid? Not bias at all.

Back