• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2013: B.C. Bomb plot foiled on Canada Day

VIChris

Inactive
Reaction score
RCMP have two suspects in custody with respect to an alleged bombing attempt at the BC Legislature Buildings on Canada Day.

http://www.timescolonist.com/former-victoria-man-and-woman-charged-in-terrorist-plot-at-legislature-on-canada-day-1.340077

"RCMP said at a news conference in Surrey that a former Victoria man and woman charged with terrorism after a suspicious package was left at the provincial legislature on Canada Day were inspired by "Al-Qaeda ideology."

RCMP assistant commissioner Wayne Rideout, showing a picture of pressure-cooker-style devices, said the goal was to cause injury and death at the legislature during a national holiday."

Just saw this on the news. BZ to the LEOs and CSIS pers that foiled these perps.  :salute:

Stood to be a pretty bad day if these assholes were successful.

No offense to anyone whatsoever, but I just have a latent feeling that the RCMP saving the day on Canada day is a bit Cliché, or cheesy or something.

Am I the only one getting this feeling? I'm pretty sure i'm wrong, I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling that way.

If not , Cheers to the officers and other people that prevented this.

Caramon_Majere said:
No offense to anyone whatsoever, but I just have a latent feeling that the RCMP saving the day on Canada day is a bit Cliché, or cheesy or something.

Am I the only one getting this feeling? I'm pretty sure i'm wrong, I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling that way.

No, not cliché. 

They're already planning a movie.

They claim to have been following them for 3-4 months. But they only interfere if there is going to be a chance of harm on innocent people (Canada Day makes for an obvious target). You never know who they might lead them too if you let it play out for awhile. No doubt there are others being observed right now. Every once in awhile it's in the news. Last time I saw it was in April, in Toronto.

This was just more good work from the people so many accuse of brutality and try to downplay their importance.

I was at the Legislature yesterday for the Canada Day festivities.

Great work by the RCMP.  Very unsettling.

UnwiseCritic said:
They're already planning a movie.

They claim to have been following them for 3-4 months. But they only interfere if there is going to be a chance of harm on innocent people (Canada Day makes for an obvious target). You never know who they might lead them too if you let it play out for awhile. No doubt there are others being observed right now. Every once in awhile it's in the news. Last time I saw it was in April, in Toronto.

This was just more good work from the people so many accuse of brutality and try to downplay their importance.

Owning pressure cookers and mothballs is not a crime until the intent to harm is established. Once the devices were set-up to detonate and placed in a public place the suspected terrorists became confirmed terrorists and charges could then be laid. That's how I figure it went down anyway....

Good afternoon.

As you are all aware, earlier today, the RCMP announced the arrests of two individuals on terrorism-related charges, as part of Project SOUVENIR.

The success of this operation was due to the close collaboration of our security and law enforcement agencies, including CSIS.

I would like to applaud the RCMP-led Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams - known as INSET - and all of the partners for their outstanding work on this investigation.

Our government remains unwavering in its commitment to protect Canadians and this of course includes in the fight against terrorism.

We have taken strong steps to combat terrorism and keep Canadians safe.

Recently, our Government passed the Combatting Terrorism Act and introduced Canada's first Counter-Terrorism Strategy.

Our government also created the Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams, and we have added nearly 3,000 frontline RCMP officers since forming government.

Project SOUVENIR is yet another example of the long-standing and productive intelligence sharing relationship between our law enforcement and security agencies.

Information sharing is a key component of Canada's Counter-Terrorism Strategy and is fundamental to protecting our citizens from terrorist threats.

Yesterday's arrests demonstrate that terrorism continues to be a real threat to Canada.

The RCMP has assured me that at no time during the course of this investigation was there an imminent risk to the safety of Canadians.

Our Government will continue to be vigilant and will ensure that law enforcement and security agencies have the tools they need to protect Canadians and their families.

As this is an ongoing investigation and prosecution, I will have no further comment on this matter.

Thank you.
Public Safety info-machine, 2 Jul 13

I fear the worst part of this story has yet to even come out... There are some dots that seem to line up, that I really hope dont.

Awesome job for the good guys.  Get stuffed Snowden, watching works.

We need a Devil's Island for the folks who'd do something like this to their countrymen/women.

Hans Island doesn't have much going on, just sayin'.

According to a report in the Globe and Mail, BC Premier Christy Clark says, to be woud-be BC bombers, "You will not succeed," but, of course, they will succeed, in one way or another, eventually. Perhaps they will not, as Premier Clark suggests, succeed in tearing down our values but they will manage to knock down some bridges or buildings. We ~ the security services ~ are, rather like the Israelis: the Isrealis have to win every war, every battle, while the Arabs just have to get lucky once. Sooner or later the home grown, self radicalized terrorists will "get lucky" and we will be horrified.

The trick, the path to victory, for us, is to be "horrified" without ever, being "terrorized." Our sense of "horror" and our sense of "honour" must lead us towards a steely resolve to defend and preserve our values, our institutions, our culture against all comers. We must know that our culture is worthy, even better than others. That doesn't mean we should be intolerant but it does mean that we should remember both the definition of tolerance (the ability or willingness to accept the existence of opinions or behaviour that one dislikes or with which one disagrees) and its origin (late Middle English (denoting the action of bearing hardship, or the ability to bear pain and hardship): via Old French from Latin tolerantia, from tolerare). Tolerating less "worthy" cultures ~ while we help to change/reform them ~ may, indeed, involve some hardship but the end effect, helping others to adapt their cultures so that they no longer need to be tolerated, is worth it.

More on the would-be BC bombers and the kind of people who are easy to be "self radicalized" by, inter alia, social media from a report in the Vancouver Sun:

"Nuttall and Korody were recovering addicts who got regular methadone deliveries from the pharmacy. "If you saw them, they looked like they are not 100-per-cent OK,"" their former landlady said

And

"Nuttall has a criminal record that includes a 2010 conviction for possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose. He also has convictions for robbery, mischief, kidnapping and breaching probation conditions ...
      Articles about his run-ins with the law link his troubles to drug addiction and his susceptibility to be manipulated by others. High on cocaine in May 2002, he struck a Victoria businessman on the head with a rock
      and stole his briefcase. In the mid-90s, he got 18 months in jail for vicious assaults carried out to collect drug debts."

I don't think Islam, per se, is the problem; my guess is that Islam can help some people turn their lives around. The problem is the siren song of radicalism ~ Buddhist radicalism, Christian radicalism, Islamic radicalism ~ which says that someone else is to blame for the problems that bedevil you and that you are "right," even morally obligated to strike back.

E.R. Campbell said:
More on the would-be BC bombers and the kind of people who are easy to be "self radicalized" by, inter alia, social media from a report in the Vancouver Sun:

"Nuttall and Korody were recovering addicts who got regular methadone deliveries from the pharmacy. "If you saw them, they looked like they are not 100-per-cent OK,"" their former landlady said

And

"Nuttall has a criminal record that includes a 2010 conviction for possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose. He also has convictions for robbery, mischief, kidnapping and breaching probation conditions ...
      Articles about his run-ins with the law link his troubles to drug addiction and his susceptibility to be manipulated by others. High on cocaine in May 2002, he struck a Victoria businessman on the head with a rock
      and stole his briefcase. In the mid-90s, he got 18 months in jail for vicious assaults carried out to collect drug debts."

I don't think Islam, per se, is the problem; my guess is that Islam can help some people turn their lives around. The problem is the siren song of radicalism ~ Buddhist radicalism, Christian radicalism, Islamic radicalism ~ which says that someone else is to blame for the problems that bedevil you and that you are "right," even morally obligated to strike back.

Maybe in this particular case Islam is not the problem, as the siren song of radicalism spans all religions; but as far as Islam goes, it does appear to be the main religion that gives no quarter to any other faith and therefore, many non radicals tacitly give their support to the radical faction because of this.

Caramon_Majere said:

You're right, they should have left the devices sit another day and be picked up on the second to avoid an air of cheesiness.

I am dismayed at some of the comments in today's news from the usual moaning minnies regarding the presumed affronts to the civil rights of the accused. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but these would have been the same commentators crapping all over the police if the bombs had actually gone off. From what has appeared in the press and been released by the RCMP they did exactly what they were supposed to do - protect us from idiots.

VIChris said:
You're right, they should have left the devices sit another day and be picked up on the second to avoid an air of cheesiness.

I agree. The RCMP/CSIS didn't pick the day. They were probably watching this unfold over a long period of time and tried to maximize the amount of information while balancing the public's safety at the same time. Also busting people at the last minute is a good tactic imo....keeps them guessing

Interesting how the landlord let CBC and The Canadian Press tour the apartment.

P.S. - Moving this to a more LEO-oriented area.
Milnet.ca Staff

You can imagine the groans on the AQ website about these 2. Nice to know that even the AQ has their own "Extraordinary Idiots" You know the west should make a humorous series called "AQ F Troop". 

jollyjacktar said:
Awesome job for the good guys.  Get stuffed Snowden, watching works.

We need a Devil's Island for the folks who'd do something like this to their countrymen/women.

I hear there is room available on Ellesmere Island.

Back