• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

20 Jan 2008: Hwy. 400 closed after 50-car crash in Bradford, Ont.

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
CBC NEWS

Several hurt in multi-vehicle crashes on Ontario highway
Chain-reaction accidents north of Toronto blamed on whiteout conditions
Last Updated: Sunday, January 20, 2008 | 2:13 PM ET
CBC News
A number of people were injured Sunday in chain-reaction collisions involving dozens of vehicles on a major highway about 60 kilometres north of Toronto.

A half-kilometre stretch of the northbound lanes of Highway 400 near Bradford was littered with the wreckage of about 50 cars and trucks, Ontario Provincial Police said. About 30 vehicles were in another pileup north of that location, police said.

"It's like a scrap yard out here — vehicles everywhere, some in the ditch. It's unbelievable," OPP Const. Dave Woodford told CBC Newsworld.

There were "multiple injuries," some serious, but none considered life-threatening, he said.

"We have neck and back injuries, he said. "We have people with broken arms, broken legs. There are serious injuries to a lot of people."

Two air ambulances and a bus ambulance were among emergency vehicles that were dispatched to help the injured. There is no word on how many people were hurt.

The accidents occurred just after 12:30 p.m. ET in whiteout conditions.

"It was nice and sunny out and suddenly you couldn't see 100 feet in front of you," Woodford said. The snowsquall had come in. You drive into something like and it's blinding."

Rescue crews started cutting the centre guard rail to allow emergency vehicles through and to turn around traffic stuck on the closed highway.

Both southbound and northbound portions of the highway north of Highway 89 were closed.

CTV NEWS

Hwy. 400 closed after 50-car crash in Bradford, Ont.
Updated Sun. Jan. 20 2008 3:24 PM ET
Toronto.ctv.ca

A major pile-up involving about 50 cars has shut down a long stretch of Highway 400 in Bradford, Ont.

White-out conditions and snow-covered roads are being blamed for several crashes that closed both north and southbound lanes of the highway early Sunday afternoon.

The massive pile-up happened in the southbound lanes over the lunch hour.

The scene looks like a "scrapyard," OPP Const. Dave Woodford told CTV.ca.

"I was at home at the time when the snow squalls started and I couldn't see out the window," Woodford said. "People start on their brakes, they slide out of control and the vehicles behind them can't see what's happening so they start doing the same thing. It's a chain reaction.

"It's a sheet of ice out here," he said.

Several people were stuck in the wreckage and had to be rescued. Though several people suffered back and neck sprains and broken limbs, none of the injuries were life-threatening.

An air ambulance was called to the scene as a precautionary measure, Woodford said. About two dozen other EMS vehicles from as far as Toronto were at the scene, treating the injured.

Motorists forced out of their cars because of the accident had to deal with bone-chilling temperatures. People were allowed to sit in police cruisers to keep warm. Others bundled up with other motorists whose cars were still running, Woodford said.

A Greyhound bus was also brought in to help shelter people left stranded.

The highway is expected to remain closed at Highway 89 to Highway 9 until at least the dinner hour while police investigate and clear the scene.

In the meantime, fire crews cut apart the centre median to allow drivers stuck in the traffic jam to turn around and head back north.

Several other accidents were reported along Highway 404 south of the massive pile-up as snow continued to fall in the area.

Motorists travelling in the Barrie to York Region area are being warned to drive with extreme caution.

"White-out conditions tend to come in fast and leave fast," Woodford said. "Drivers should pull off the road completely, not on the shoulder but get off the highway."

He said motorists would be wise to completely avoid the highway for the rest of the day.

450_CFTO_crash_080120.jpg

An aerial view shows the scope of a fifty car pile up in Bradford, Ontario on Highway 400 on Sunday, Jan. 20, 2008.

160_CFTO_crash2_080120.jpg

Emergency workers and tow trucks prepare to clean up after a fifty car pile up (unseen) in Bradford, Ontario on Highway 400 on Sunday, Jan. 20, 2008

(Moderator edit to change thread title from "BREAKING NEWS" to insertion of event date.)

Wow, look at the snow on the road!  Not to lessen the seriousness of the situation, but I wonder how many people were traveling at speeds appropriate for the conditions?
When we came home from Ottawa on New Year's day, the 416 and 401 were really bad.  Surprisingly, there weren't that many vehicles off the road and what we did see off the road were single cars and no injuries.  Then, right after passing them, some idiot would fly by us going about 110 km/h.  ::)

Yikes.  Hope that there were no major injuries!  Whiteouts suck...

Been on that highway in somewhat similar conditions just outside Barry last year.

People were speeding in an almost complete whiteout.

Luckily I was almost near my exit when it started and only had to go about 4 kms.

Got to my buddies house and there was a pile up 10 km down the road from the exit I took being announced on the news.

Regards

People drive like idiots on all the 400 highways.  I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands every time I go to work (407-403-401).  Sun, snow, rain..it doesn't matter. 
No snow accumulation here in Burlington though  :D

edit: typo

D Squared said:
People drive like idiots on all the 400 highways. 

People drive nuts anywhere there is a road for them to drive on. Coming back from Halifax on the 101 not too long ago when the highway was quite busy, and a bit wet from rain earlier, I was passed by what I can only describe as a psycho-soccer-mom yakking on her cell-phone driving at least 140 while weaving in and out of the passing lanes.
Too many people don't belong behind the wheel.  ::)

Midget

uncle-midget-boyd said:
People drive nuts anywhere there is a road for them to drive on. Coming back from Halifax on the 101 not too long ago when the highway was quite busy, and a bit wet from rain earlier, I was passed by what I can only describe as a psycho-soccer-mom yakking on her cell-phone driving at least 140 while weaving in and out of the passing lanes.
Too many people don't belong behind the wheel.  ::)
Midget

Maybe I should go sign-out the MPEV and go after them with the 4-in-1 bucket (nothing more ungodly than seeing a backhoe do 100km on its own  ;D  )

NFLD Sapper said:
Maybe I should go sign-out the MPEV and go after them with the 4-in-1 bucket (nothing more ungodly than seeing a backhoe do 100km on its own  ;D  )

Only if I can ride in the bucket with a cowboy hat and jars of pickles for those speeding genius' open windows.  ;D

Midget

NFLD Sapper said:
Can I come with you?  ;D

They drive like idiots in Winnipeg - in presumably posted speed areas. I saw a near miss at a light-controlled intersection 3 blocks from home this afternoon - and its dry and very cold here - no snow or ice on the streets. Some fool going like a bat out of he** skidding 8 feet or more on his brakes to within a foot of a car stopped at the red light.

:cdn:
Hawk

OMG
Last New Year's Day in Winnipeg...we were driving over to pick up the vehicle we'd left at the party we were at (no taxi available, even though we'd booked one).  On Portage Ave.  Buddy was driving with a completely snow covered car with a little hole from which to see ahead...wish I'd had my camera handy.

Wow that is nuts. I once heard that the last person in a chain of collisions is the one held responsible, is that true? if so I would not want to be the last one in this chain.

uncle-midget-boyd said:
Only if I can ride in the bucket with a cowboy hat and jars of pickles for those speeding genius' open windows.  ;D

Midget

All I can say... HLVW.... 401....

Good times...

I guess this would explain the wall to wall cars with loser drivers in them adding an hour to my drive back to London on via Airport Road instead of taking a half hour or so off...

MM

Things like these are why I keep prolonging taking the test for G1 (I've had 4 months now to do it now)

This whole situation doesn't surprise me, people tend to drive like idiots in that area, reguardless of weather. Not to mention, drivers also have a habit of making accident scene's worse, instead of paying attention and driving. The roads are bad, but I have seen them much worse, and not end up with a car accident that big.

I was on ex this weekend and the whiteout conditions were pretty surprising. I noticed all the damaged cars on my way home today, they had all been parked by the Cookstown mall. Glad no one was seriously hurt, but some pretty nice cars got cracked up...  :(

medicineman said:
I guess this would explain the wall to wall cars with loser drivers in them adding an hour to my drive back to London on via Airport Road instead of taking a half hour or so off...

MM
you should have stopped in MM

Yet you'd figure that after something like that people would learn to slow down a bit. Sadly enough I think a lot of the drivers are just plain slow. This fall I saw people down the #1 out to Brandon going well into the 160 km/h range. Despite the conditions on that open highway.

But I'd also take up that idea with riding in the bucket as well. I just suggest a cowboy hat with strings to tie it to your head!  ;D

Back