• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

18 Nov 10 - CF-18 Down in Cold Lake; Pilot Ejected & Found

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
First fragmentary report from the Canadian Press:
The Rescue Co-Ordination Centre at CFB Trenton, Ont., says a Canadian fighter jet has crashed overnight.

The CF-18 went down in Cold Lake, Alta., around 1:30 this morning.

The pilot safely ejected and was located by searchers.

The jet was returning from a mission when it crashed.

It was not immediately clear why it went down.

The Transportation Safety Board is investigating
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery from any injuries the pilot may have taken.

More details from the Canadian Press:
A pilot escaped with only minor injuries when his CF-18 fighter jet crashed into a wooded area near Canadian Forces Base, Cold Lake, Alta.

Capt. Keith Hoey, spokesman for the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre at CFB Trenton, Ont., says the plane was returning from a mission when it went down just before midnight local time.

"The airplane was on final approach. The indications we got from the satellites picking up the emergency transmitter was that the aircraft was about 11 kilometres away from the airport," said Hoey.

He said the pilot had to eject from the twin-engine aircraft "for some reason unknown at this time."

The pilot was rescued more than two hours later by a Griffon helicopter crew from Cold Lake.

Hoey said the emergency response to the crash was immediate.

"I think due to the weather and the fact that it was dark just made it difficult to find him."

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating ....

Hmmm....we may need those F-35's sooner than we think....

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Canadian+fighter+crashes+pilot+ejects/3848267/story.html

A Canadian fighter jet crashed overnight in northern Alberta, but the pilot was able to eject safely, according to the Canadian Forces.

Capt. Darren Blaikie was approaching CFB Cold Lake at about 11:45 p.m. when his CF-18 Hornet went down about 13 kilometres north of the base, said spokesman Lt. David Lavallee.

"He was able to eject safely and was picked up by a helicopter that was dispatched by the base," said Lavallee.

The pilot was taken to hospital but should be released soon, said Lavallee.

The cause of the crash is unknown, but an investigation will be conducted by the director of flight safety.

Cold Lake is about 300 kilometres northeast of Edmonton.

The Canadian Press
Date: Thursday Nov. 18, 2010 11:46 AM ET

COLD LAKE, Alta. — A Canadian Forces pilot is in good condition after ejecting from his CF-18 fighter jet before it crashed in darkness during final approach to a northern Alberta air base.

A military spokesman says Capt. Darren Blakie was at the controls when his plane went down in a field 13 kilometres northwest of Canadian Forces Base Cold Lake a few minutes before midnight on Wednesday.

Lt. David Lavallee says Blakie ejected from the twin-engine plane and was recovered close to the crash site by a military helicopter crew about two hours later.

Blakie -- a member of the 409 Tactical Fighter Squadron at Cold Lake -- was taken to hospital and was expected to be released following an examination.

Capt. Nicole Meszaros, a spokeswoman for CFB Cold Lake, said Blakie was participating in a night training exercise at the time of the crash.

A flight safety team from National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa was to examine the wreckage and determine what caused the crash.

Capt. Keith Hoey, spokesman for the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre at CFB Trenton, Ont., said it wasn't clear why the pilot had to eject.

"We don't know what went wrong at this point of time," added Meszaros. "We don't like to speculate on that ... because it could compromise the outcome of the investigation."

Hoey said the emergency response to the crash was immediate, although "the weather and the fact that it was dark just made it difficult to find him."

Blakie was rescued after he set off a flare to draw the attention of the helicopter team. Meszaros said the rescue crew and the RCMP worked together to pinpoint the scene.

"That effort to get everybody involved in finding the downed aircraft and finding the downed pilot was obviously critical in making sure Capt. Blakie survived after the crash."

Meszaros said she wasn't sure how many others may have been out flying. "Typically it's a group of pilots who go up and they do their training in a co-ordinated effort.

It was cold, but Meszaros wasn't sure if it was snowing. It was -13 C around that time, with the wind chill making it a bone-chilling -22 C.

But Blakie would have been well-prepared, she suggested.

"One thing about flying in northern Alberta, our pilots are well-equipped and well-trained to deal with the elements, so when they go flying, they certainly wear the right military equipment to ensure their safety in the event of a crash," she said

"We have an extensive program run by our flight safety staff on the base . . . cold weather is something that members of the Canadian Forces operate in."

The crash is the second in Alberta involving a CF-18 in about four months.

In July, one of the jets exploded in a huge fireball during a low-speed, low-level practice run prior to an air show in Lethbridge.

The pilot, Capt. Brian Bews, suffered back injuries when he ejected from the aircraft just seconds before it hit the ground.

The crash prompted the military to ground the demonstration team's fighter jets for the remainder of the year, although CF-18s have continued to fly at air shows in non-aerobatic roles.

News Room
CF-18 Hornet crashes near 4 Wing Cold Lake
NR 10.002 - November 18, 2010

Winnipeg, Man. – At approximately 11:45 p.m. MST on November 17, a CF-18 Hornet fighter jet crashed in a field approximately 13 kilometers northwest of 4 Wing Cold Lake, Alta.

The pilot, Captain Darren Blakie of 409 Tactical Fighter Squadron, successfully ejected from the aircraft and was taken to hospital upon being recovered. He is in good condition and is being released from hospital.

The exact cause of the crash is unknown at this time. The Directorate of Flight Safety has begun an investigation into the crash.

- 30 -

Note to Editors:

For more information, please call the Media Liaison Office at 1-866-377-0811 / (613) 996-2353.

How long before it takes our noble politicans to use this to start flinging mud at each other?

Grimaldus said:
How long before it takes our noble politicans to use this to start flinging mud at each other?
Tick, tick, tick...

Grimaldus said:
To tide you over while waiting, you can always read the wisdom posted by the usual dolts following CBC's reporting.  ;D

Journeyman said:
To tide you over while waiting, you can always read the wisdom posted by the usual dolts following CBC's reporting.  ;D
Apart from commentary from "the usual suspects" in the stories themselves?  ;)

More reason why we need those F-35's.

I hope you're watching, Iggy.

HavokFour said:
More reason why we need those F-35's.

I hope you're watching, Iggy.

Be careful with all that jumping to conclusions - you could hurt yourself.

There's nothing out there to indicate the cause of the incident - be it aircraft age, parts failure, maintenance error, or pilot error.

Usign the same type of leaps of logic and assuming pilot error one could argue this is a reason to abandon manned aircraft altogether - a conclusion as erroneous as yours.

Glad to hear they got the pilot.

The investigation on the crash is not done (I beleive anyways) but I think regarless of circumstances, everybody agrees that flying 28 year old fighter aircraft is not the best idea going.

Related SAR question:

I'm given to understand that much of the airspace around there is restricted.
So if you had a plane down and were unable to locate the pilot for whatever reason, would civilian assets like CASARA be utilized ?

I too, am glad the pilot is OK. 

CASARA doesn't do too much searching at night.  The Griffin was/is more than capable of conducting the search.  Kudos to the CSS crew from Cool Pool.

DFS investigations are usually one year from accident to release - don't expect anything anytime soon.  The Lethbridge crash has only had a preliminary report released.

Zoomie said:
CASARA doesn't do too much searching at night.  The Griffin was/is more than capable of conducting the search.  Kudos to the CSS crew from Cool Pool.

Thanks, Zoomie.
I wasn't so much referring to this particular incident or a night search. Just a scenario where a pilot was missing in a restricted  area like Primrose Lake.
I have no idea what a pilot carries on his (or her) person in the way of radios or ELTs etc (or, for that matter, how reliable they are) or how many effective military search platforms are available in that area.
I was just more curious if a civilian service like CASARA could ever conceivably be called into that airspace. 

dapaterson said:
Be careful with all that jumping to conclusions - you could hurt yourself.

Hey!  Some of us could use the exercise!    ;)

Bass ackwards said:
I was just more curious if a civilian service like CASARA could ever conceivably be called into that airspace.

Gotcha - sorry that I missed out on the meaning there.

Restricted Airspace is controlled by the "controlling agency" - in the case of a search, if required, any and all assets (including CASARA) could be employed within that airspace.  Since any missing aircraft would most likely be military, the search would have to be pretty extensive in order to go this far.

Bass ackwards said:
I have no idea what a pilot carries on his (or her) person in the way of radios or ELTs etc (or, for that matter, how reliable they are) or how many effective military search platforms are available in that area.

We have 1 handheld beaconthat transmit an emergency signal on 406 MHz as well as 121.5 MHz. Limited battery life, especially in cold weather.  We do not have any 2-Way radios.  Upon ejection, depending on a switch selection in the cockpit (essentially, it's ON for training, OFF for war time (ie: you don't want the bad guys seeing you)) upon ejection, the jet will Squawk 7700 on the transponder on its own (emergency) and transmit a bailout tone on Guard and the current frequencies the pilot is talking on.

We have quite a few signaling devices, most are best used during daytime.  Flares obviously work well at night. The best signal at night, IMO, is making a huge motherf****** fire.

Bass ackwards said:

I am pretty sure that when a pilot bails out, all the assets available (be it civilian or military) will be deployed in order to find him/her.  At that point, who cares about the airspace.  During normal working hours there are a lot of civilian helicopter traffic in the CLAWR anyways.

Anyone from 409 Sq/4 Wing hear anything about the case of ejection? I saw an interview on the news last night with the pilot and all he said was "I couldn't believe I was going to have to eject." but no mention as to why he had to.

Because of the ongoing flight safety investigation he wouldn't be permitted to release info on WHY he had to eject.

Back