• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

16 a hard age to get into camp? True of False?

S

Sgt_Jennens

Hey everyone!
I'm hoping there are a few of you out there that could help me out a bit, I heard from one of my CO's that 16 is a hard age to get into Summer camp at, and I'm set on going to camp this summer! Has anyone else had problems getting in at 16?

Let me know, when you get around to it.
Thanks

16 is the PERFECT age to join the reserves . . .   you'll do a hell of a lot more than you would at cadets AND  make a lot more money!  ;)

16 is definitely not a hard age to get into camp. You're in a good, solid age to attend a very high quality 6 week camp, and I doubt you'll have any problems at all, especially if you're highly qualified.

Even if you are not highly qualified and new. You still wont have problems getting onto a Cadet Leader Course, or even if your lucky you may get onto a Cadet Leader Instructor course.

WO. McWatt said:
Even if you are not highly qualified and new. You still wont have problems getting onto a Cadet Leader Course, or even if your lucky you may get onto a Cadet Leader Instructor course.

16 is not a hard age to get onto course, most CLI cadets are around that age. I was 16 when I did CL.

He won't get bumped up to CLI unless he is a bandie(in his home corps or at school) and is more experienced than the people in his platoon. I wasn't bumped up to CLI and I had been in cadets long enough to get my gold star.

I was 15 when I did my CLI. and It is possible to get bumped up if there are vacancies or if a lot of the applicants are delinquents.

Lol jennans are you not gonna staff this year?  Because I think a few of the charlie staff were 16...I think.

Hey everyone,
Thanks for your posts. I've already completed Basic, CL and CLI, and was told by my CO that 16 is a bad age for making staff...sorry if that wasn't clear. But good to hear that all of ya made it to your courses at 16! lol, definetly makes me feel more optimistic!   :D

16 isn't too hard to get into Staff...most of our seniors are between 16 and 17...and they're all applying for staff.

good luck
:cdn:

Half of Charlie was 16, half the staff Cadets in the battalion were 16.

There are not many 16 year-olds in CLI, 17 is generally the cut-off age. Pioneer was full of 16 year juvenile delinquents.

Hmm...well, I don't know then. Maybe our officers are confused with the issue. If there hasn't been a problem with anyone else getting in at 16 or 17, then it's possible that they heard the wrong information or misunderstood something. Unless there are a lot of others applying for staff this year at that age and there isn't enough room for everyone. ???

If you have Basic, CL, and CLI there will be no problem getting onto staff at 16.

We were short staffed last year, and I would be shocked if we weren't again this year. HQ by summer's end was at 1/2 strength.

Few Cadets staff at 18.... ussually CSMs and 10-15 of the WOs. There was 1 18 year old Sgt and 2 MCpls, may have been more but thats all I know of.

Staff age prerequisite (at least in Ontario) is 16 as of Jan 1st.  You could have all the qualifications in the world and still get declined due to age ... I've seen it happen to people with NSCE and Advanced Training.  As long as you meet that prerequisite you should be fine.

Yuppers, thats a national standard b/c of work laws... apparently it used to vary by CSTC? I'm not convinced that is true, though

This is definitely true. We had a WO LeBlanc, NSCE qualified, Basic, ACLI, but was 15 years old, and was not even considered for staff.

which is because said warrant officer was 15 and not 16 as of 1 January of staffing year :)

Ok, what exactly is true?  Wouldnt Danes comment mean its not true? Did your WO even apply for staff is a better question :)

Back