• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

15 Jan 06 Glyn Berry Killed, 3 Others Injured in Afghanistan

CFL said:
teufel its been going on for sometime now.  ie the guy in the Iltis who had the suicide bomber jump on his vehicle

Very much aware of that my friend

CHANGE THE POST TITLE!!!!!

It was a Cdn Civilian killed, not a soldier!!

From CBC:
A military source has confirmed to that the dead Canadian was a civilian. The blast also killed two Afghan civilians and wounded at least 10 others

short final
Before YOU get bent out of shape why don't WE wait until the smoke clears to find out what's what.

teufel said:
RIP my friend. "and now it begins"

You are so right Tuefel, but I would like to add 'so now it continues..' as this is not the first time and surely will not be the last.  TF 1-06 will regrettably get a taste of these tactics as well.  Let's hope that our TTPs are strong enough to defeat, or at least mitigate, these attacks.

But for now, my prayers go to the deceased (civilian or soldier) and the injured.

Chimo fellow warriors!

S6.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060115/kandahar_convoy_canada_060115/20060115?hub=TopStories

CBC news at 1100 had video from the scene via BBC. The veh that has Cdn soldiers working around it (I want to say G Wagon, but I can't be sure) looks very bad.

CBC also annouced a news conference from DND within the hour.

I wish they would get the facts straight, this is not the kind of story to muck up. Imagine the stress on the families, someone's head should roll. The PM will certainly not be happy. Unbelievable!

"But a military source confirmed to The Canadian Press that the dead Canadian was a civilian."

Also from the Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060115.wafgha0115/BNStory/International/

Strange indeed since JSR OP's first post has the CBC quoting the Prime Minister himself as saying:

""I would like to express my sincere condolences to the families of the dead soldier," Martin said. "To the families of the injured soldiers, I want to send my best wishes for a prompt recovery and my prayers."

Yeah...saw it as well Ash.

My condolences to the family of the civilian killed and a speedy recovery to the troops.

Regards

While waiting for further details, I'm wondering about the civilian.  What sort's of civilians are accompanying patrols when they go out?  I wasn't aware that civilians were doing that.  Are they translators or humanitarian workers?

Moderators, please feel free to break this off into another thread if required.

Could possibly be a reporter. They do go out with the troops from time to time.

Regards

could also be an Int type or someone of that shade.
Certainly wasn't one of the cooks

Please resist any and all speculation until all the facts are known. I am sure they will be out very soon. For now it is enough to pray for the dead and injured.

Speculation does no one any good.  :salute:

All NOK have now been identified.  News conference at 1230 Ottawa time.  It was in fact a civilian member of the PRT who was killed.  1 soldier in serious condition, 2 in critical condition.  Medevac to out country medical facilities now being spooled up.

The blast was very significant.  The fact that 3 soldiers are now undergoing medical treatment is testamnet to the G Wagon

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the civilian member (his name has not yet been released in the press), and to the families of the injuried soldiers.

Dave

Back