• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

13k with patrol pack...what equipement should be in the pack???

mysteriousmind

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I was just issued the  patrol pack yesterday.... (Nice pack so far) and I was told that I was up to me to decide if I wanted to do my 13k with either my patrol pack or my ruck sac.

And I was wondering if it made a big difference or should I stick to my Ruck??

If I decide to go with the patrol pack, does any one has a equipment list that should go in it???

He is what I found, would like to confirm with you guys. Is it good???

Main pocket
1 Pair of combat boots
1 Sleeping Bag
1 isotherm shirt
1 isotherm pants
1 pair of black socks
1 pair of green socks
1 t-shirt
1 boxer
1 bush cap
1 hand towel
1 coat
1 Polard jacket

Right pocket
1 combat shirt
1 combat pant,

Left pocket
1 rain coat
1 rain pant
1 toque
1 pair of gortex gloves
1 pair of combat gloves

I'm assuming this is for the BFT. Aslong as you meet the required weight it really doesn't matter what you have in it since it's just for a 2 hour walk. Aslong as the weight is balanched/distributated well you'll be fine. 

But if you were going into the field, I hope you wouldn't stick the sleeping bag in the main bag since you really wouldn't have room for anything else.

Does your unit not have a SOP for what is supposed to be in your ruck?

From the Army Fitness Manual:

Weightload March. March a distance of 13 km in full fighting gear and rucsack
(24.5 kg total kit: ie., weapon, Equipment Issue Scale (EIS), helmet, webbing and
Field pack). Complete the distance in under 2hr 26min 20s. This is equivalent to a
pace of 5.33 km/hr. Your perceived exertion will be recorded throughout the.........................................

The Field Pack or the Ruck Sack are both acceptable.  The weight is what matters.  It must come to 24.5 Kg.

I did a BFT recently, and used a ruck...

If your unit has no specific kit to follow, pack for functionality (what you would actually need in the field).

Good luck.

For the BFT at my unit it doesn't really matter what you pack. Most guys just load the pack with weights so its easier to measure how much you have and distribute it evenly. They say that your FFO should come to an exact 55 lbs however I don't find this to be true because you won't be carrying IMP's and ammo which adds a fair amount when you're in the field. As for ruck verses field pack it seems to be a matter of personal preference. I've only done it with a ruck but in the future will do it with small pack because the waist belt cinches better. Do whatever you find most comfortable or what your unit wants you to do. Good luck. 

George Wallace said:
The Field Pack or the Ruck Sack are both acceptable.  The weight is what matters.  It must come to 24.5 Kg.

Yup 24.5 kg Total.... not 25kg in the ruck... but alltogether... we've had some problems with people in our unit loading up their rucks like theyre  the SAS or something... carrying way too much weight, and its killing em on the workup marches...

My personal preference with the Small pack after trying the sleeping bag on top and the normal on bottom is to have it on top - I found I could cinch it pretty tight on top whereas on the bottom it seemed to flop around and just be very uncomfortable.

The patrol pack is meant to be a patrol pack, not a ruck.  I made the mistake of going on Ex with it once instead of the ruck.

It turned into a War Amps Ex... "Never Again"!

It might be okay for the 13k but pretty soon you start to miss that solid frame.  Also, as you know when it rains everything becomes 3 or 4 times heavier.  That, I think was my undoing on the ex.

In the end I'd say that the patrol pack is not meant to replace the Rucksack.  But besides that, if you are planning on doing the 13k with it then you should "train the way you're going to fight" and do all your workups with it as well.

I also really don't see the point.  I use my Day pack in garrison to cart my PT gear or books and binders (when on course) around and don't see the point of unpacking and repacking it for BFT and Workups. The Ruck stays packed (pretty much) and I just grab and go.

The question was more for the BFT.

I was just asking myself which was, in people's opinion best for the 13k walk.

I do not intend to go on ex with my patrol pack.

I know its a weight thing. but to be honnest and not only just put "weight" in my pack.

Ill see what ill do.

Thanks for all of your answer.

Just to let everyone know (in case you did not) that the new Clothe The Soldier rucksack will start to be issued within two weeks. The first issue will be at CFB Shilo, I think it is happening on the 26th or 27th of November. We were at the factory in Hamilton last week and did a story on the new rucksack and talked to some people from Clothe The Soldier, the factory and also some troops from Petawawa who were there.

Armynewsguy

As far as I know, the new rucks are only going to those of us with outside the wire jobs on this upcoming tour(TF 1-08).

-Skeletor- said:
As far as I know, the new rucks are only going to those of us with outside the wire jobs on this upcoming tour(TF 1-08).

...and rightfully so I might add.

:salute:

For those that may receive this new ruck, I had it on TF 1-07 as part of 8 Pl,  C Coy 3PPCLI. I just thought I would pass on my own experience with it, as many, including myself, thought it was the be all, end all of rucksacks. While it is very comfortable and fits very well(as it should be given that the aluminum stays inside are specifically bent to your spine), it is also probably 15 or 20lbs before you put anything inside it(not to mention the back padding tends to soak up a substantial quantity of water when the weather turns on you), and stowing your sleeping kit in a hurry is a pain in the ass, due to the compression sack system(it has to be pretty much perfectly sized or it wont fit). This isn't something you want to try to pack up in 45 seconds or less. I know there will never be a 100% kit solution, but this ruck isn't really anything to get excited over. Average at best, which is on some level, a victory for CTS, I suppose.

If I could do it all again, I would have left the new ruck at home and brought the ruck I built myself out of a 64 frame, new bag, good quality hip belt....It is smaller, and in my opinion, more serviceable...you may lose a little bit of comfort, but guess what? It's Afghanistan and being comfortable just isn't going to happen until you go on HLTA. Almost everyone else in the platoon shared this sentiment. It's not a bad ruck, but you can build a better one yourself.

To the original poster, my own personal experience with the small pack suggests it should be avoided at all costs, and to go with your ruck for the BFT. I know kit tends to be a personal thing, and that what works for me might not work for you, and vice versa, but I hate that small pack so much, it just feels like I am being pulled apart at the shoulders and back as soon as you get 50 or 60lbs in there.

BigRudy made some strong points, in that what works for one person won't for another.  The Small Pack will be of benefit most to those who are under 5'2" who have the problem of the Ruck banging into their heels when they walk.  For most of average height or larger, that is not a problem on the BFT.  As he said, there is no 100% solution.

Back