• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

$12,000 Speeding Fine Levied For Going 263 Kilometers Per Hour

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
$12,000 Speeding Fine Levied For Going 263 Kilometers Per Hour
CHQR Newsroom 8/29/2008
Article Link

An Alberta man has been fined $12,000 for going 263 kilometres-per-hour in a 110-kilometre zone.
RCMP say the fine was levied this week in Edson Traffic Court against a 34-year-old man from Hinton.
He was nabbed on May 1st on Highway 16 between Edson and Hinton.
RCMP say this follows an $8,500 fine a man from prince george received in june in Hinton Traffic Court for travelling 206 kilometres an hour on the same stretch of roadway.
More on link

Maybe leadfoot can sell his speedy little racer to pay off the fine  ;D

Be a darn shame if someone of his obvious intelligence level was not allowed to drive AT ALL!!!!

263 km/h...ON THAT ROAD? Buddy has a death wish as well as adrenaline issues I think  ??? ::)

Wook

What kid of car was he driving to go that fast? And why do car manufactures let them be built to go that fast?

Must be one of those imported cars.

Did a speed run with my 05 Altima and it topped out at 190 but is registerd for 240 or 260.

Prairie Dog said:
What kid of car was he driving to go that fast? And why do car manufactures let them be built to go that fast?
And what kind of engine is the cop car running that caught him from a standing start?  :eek:

Sounds like a crotch rocket deal, and it don't matter how fast your are, you can't outrun a radio  >:D

Cheers.

From what I read in another article, it was a motorcycle. So what?  In Germany, I used to set the cruise control for 220 if there was light traffic.  Speed doesn't kill, inappropriate speed kills.  People here just are not used to cars or bikes passing them at high speed because they are too busy doing everything else in their car except paying attention to driving.

http://edmontonsun.com/News/Alberta/2008/08/30/6614891-sun.html

Sat, August 30, 2008
Biker's big brake
Man's $12,000 fine for doing 263 kmh on his motorcycle may be record
By RENATO GANDIA, SUN MEDIA

A motorcyclist has been slapped with a whopping $12,000 fine after RCMP clocked him at 263 kmh on a stretch of Highway 16 between Edson and Hinton.

The 34-year-old Hinton man, whose name was not released by Mounties, struck a deal Wednesday with a Crown prosecutor that allowed him to keep his licence in exchange for the hefty fine, Edson RCMP said yesterday.

And it may just be a record.

"It's the most expensive fine I've seen for a traffic offence handed by the court in Alberta," said Edson RCMP Sgt. Ron Lyons.

Around 6 p.m. on May 1, a traffic officer noticed the high-flyer on a Honda CBR motorcycle on the four-lane highway - driving at more than twice the posted speed limit of 110 kmh.

NFLD Sapper said:
Must be one of those imported cars.

Did a speed run with my 05 Altima and it topped out at 190 but is registerd for 240 or 260.

Hit your rev limiter? My '00 Neon LX did 195 and topped out at 5,000 RPM, same registered speed. I think the computers in the engines are electronically set so we can't kill ourselves. Easily fixed with a reprogrammer, which is probably what this guy had.

263 though.... hope he had race tires on. Normal radials are normally only rated for 200 or so KPH. Imagine a blowout at that speed.... road pizza comes to mind.

PuckChaser said:
Hit your rev limiter? My '00 Neon LX did 195 and topped out at 5,000 RPM, same registered speed. I think the computers in the engines are electronically set so we can't kill ourselves. Easily fixed with a reprogrammer, which is probably what this guy had.

263 though.... hope he had race tires on. Normal radials are normally only rated for 200 or so KPH. Imagine a blowout at that speed.... road pizza comes to mind.

True enough, my 560 SEC topped at 252 (rev limiter), but when I had winter tires on it I had a warning sticker (required by law) to remind me not to enjoy sustained speeeds above 210.  I still have that car! ;D

I took my 2008 Eclipse GT on the Highway and i stopped at 220 only because i had a bad feeling there was a cop over the hill. Turns out there was and i save myself alot of shit. The car has enough guts to go well beyond 220.

It all comes down to experience, maturity, and intelligence.
Take it to the track.

I've topped my bike out, I didn't find it that exciting.  And what I didn't like was reflecting on what would have happened if I was caught.

I don't have much of a problem with things like what CSA 105 did, because if something went bad no one else would have been hurt or killed.  But doing it when it is busy...No way jose.
People like that give the rest of us a bad name.
Although... that bad name does have its benefits when someone tries to cut you off, or change lanes into you.  Certain things you can do on a bike, if the cager sees you, will definitely have them not make that mistake again with you.  But that's totally unrelated.

eurowing said:
True enough, my 560 SEC topped at 252 (rev limiter), but when I had winter tires on it I had a warning sticker (required by law) to remind me not to enjoy sustained speeeds above 210.  I still have that car! ;D

252 rev limit!??!?! That's not much of a limit at all!  :eek:

I use to get excite one time about speed... but with gas prices, wear and tear, it doesn't sounds as good anymore. (Now give me a SS Nova and my opinion may change >:D )
Not to sound like MSE Safety Nazi, but if you play with fire, you"ll get burnt. It will creep up on you when you don't expect it. Hopfully the worst burn is just a fine, not somebody's life.

Regards,
Schultz

P.S. CDN Aviator, My Mitsu will beat your dinky anytime.  ;D

Sgt  Schultz said:
P.S. CDN Aviator, My Mitsu will beat your dinky anytime.  ;D

I know what you drive and i'm not worried whatsoever...........

CDN Aviator said:
I know what you drive and i'm not worried whatsoever...........

Phish!  >:D

On other note:

I use to piss off Honda tuners, by saying "If NISMO stands for Nissian Motorsports, what does HOMO stand for?"    :rofl:

Back