• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

09 May 2014 - Parade to mark the end of Canadian Ops in Afghanistan

Welshy said:
I'll try and get some footage from the air from the backup CH-146 tomorrow night.

What time is it landing.....you may have a small audience  ;D

Hopefully anything not nailed down has been moved away..... ;D

Make sure the influx of hot air off the hill is taken into account when landing!

Loachman said:
I just hope that somebody films and posts the landing of the Chinook on the front lawn of Parliament the evening before.

It's not exactly a motion picture but it shows the Chinook landing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhClr77bgAE&feature=youtube_gdata

Edited to add:

Also, real videos, here and here

To those who served in Afghanistan and came home, and those who didn't, my family and I thank and salute you on this Day of Honour. :salute:

Here is a link to the CA You Tube Feed that has a mash up of the landing and subsequent post landing prep and a nice evening shot of the Parliament Buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NR_UCId9z4g

Here is a short, two minute, video that sums up what yesterday was all about for too many Canadians.

E.R. Campbell said:
Here is a short, two minute, video that sums up what yesterday was all about for too many Canadians.
  :salute:    :'(   

Please know that I'm feeling very much more than those cheezy icons express. 

Thank you Mr Campbell for sharing the link......and thank you, Mr Seggie!

Journeyman said:

I echo JMs sentiments.

E.R. Campbell said:

Better get this screen cleaned, seems to be a bit dusty in here...

Journeyman said:

Same.

Journeyman said:

Couldn't have said it any better. Thoughts are with you and yours Jim.

For all the criticism of this day, it was worth every cent and every minute we we here.

I can sum it up like this:

Do not grieve because our brothers and sisters died - celebrate because such people LIVED!  :salute: :cdn:

My thoughts on the Day of Honour are evolving.  I know some think that it detracts from Nov 11, Remembrance Day; but perhaps it is not the same.  We remember our fallen and their sacrifice on Nov 11.  What is wrong with showing appreciation for those who serve or have served; not only in the CAF, but also as RCMP, Police, NGO's, etc. on another day?  They are two completely separate ideas. 

Tess.

I know your feelings, but are they really what this is all about?  Are you confusing objectives here or not?

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

LINK

Disgruntled veterans express anger over Day of Honour

The Toronto Sun
SOPHIE DESROSIERS

FIRST POSTED: SATURDAY, MAY 10, 2014 10:30 PM EDT | UPDATED: SATURDAY, MAY 10, 2014 11:24 PM EDT

Two retired veterans have strong opinions of Friday’s National Day of Honour — and they aren’t keeping quiet about it.

On their drive home to the GTA Saturday afternoon, Sgt. John Tescione and Capt. Wayne Johnston spoke to the Sun to explain what the day meant to them. Both suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder and now advocate for more help for veterans.

Johnston’s favourite quote is “Honour the fallen and help the living.” Both feel the second part, a crucial one, is being tossed aside.

“You want to honour them? Don’t give me an airplane flying over me,” said Tescione. “Honour the living so we never have to have this conversation again.”

“Yeah, I’ll say this, and you can write it if you want,” said Johnston. “The last refuge of a scoundrel is patriotism.

“Right now, I’m sorry, I view this prime minister and this government as scoundrels,” he added.

Both Johnston and Tescione say they appreciate the idea behind the day, but it doesn’t do much in terms of honouring Canada’s returning soldiers, who still need a lot of help, whether it be financial or health related.

Johnston believes giving returning soldiers financial security will help their mental state by giving them dignity. Tescione, on the other hand, wants more money put into giving veterans the mental health help they need.

Either way, one thing is clear. Both want veterans to receive the respect they deserve after fighting for their country.

During his speech on Friday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper made a promise. “And we have also come together as Canadians to make a collective promise,” he said. “And it is simply this; we will remember.”

“It’s a punchline,” said Johnston.

Tescione’s fear is that May 9 marks closure on the Afghan mission, which makes it too easy for the public and government to forget about those who still need help.

That help should be the priority – not just a day of honour.

“They think a f---ing parade is going to change my mind?” asked Johnston. “Not a f---ing chance.”

Is this day going to be an annual Day of Honour, not just for the Afghanistan Mission, but for all Missions/Operations?  Is it going to be a platform to remind the public of those who serve to protect them and their way of life?  Or is it just going to be another day, where all who don a uniform to protect them will go unnoticed? 

If you want to fight for more rights, you may have to justify that request.  If no one knows you exist, it is hard to ask for help. 

I had Bruce Henwood as my Crse officer when I instructed at the Armd School Depot Sqn.  He was later tasked as one of the unarmed UN Observers in Bosnia.  He lost both legs in Bosnia to a mine strike and started fighting for more rights and help for wounded soldiers way back in the 1990's.  It is a long road and accomplishments are hard and long fought for.  If we do not remind the public of our work and sacrifice, those fights will be much harder and less likely to achieve success.

This article does keep the fight in the limelight for the present; but what of next year?  Will it just fade from the public memory?

I've been told a number of times that this was a one shot, welcome home type, event.  I haven't seen it published otherwise either.  I'd hope its a one shot deal at least, otherwise that would mean Battle of the Atlantic and then the day for Afghanistan a week later.

Speaking only for myself, I think the Day of Honour is a good idea, but, like others smarter than me have said about smileys or other expressions, it can't come close to expressing the gratitude required.

George Wallace said:
Is this day going to be an annual Day of Honour, not just for the Afghanistan Mission, but for all Missions/Operations?  Is it going to be a platform to remind the public of those who serve to protect them and their way of life?  Or is it just going to be another day, where all who don a uniform to protect them will go unnoticed? 
I can't find an info-machine-written reference, but several quotes from people in the military here and from an government-side MP here suggest speaking points or internal communication saying it's a one-shot deal.  Also, nothing in the Order-in-Council (OIC) indicates it's going to be an annual event:
.... His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, orders that a proclamation do issue declaring May 9, 2014 as a “National Day of Honour” ....
Compare that to wording in the OIC declaring the annual Air India-related National Day of Remembrance:
.... Her Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, directs that a proclamation do issue requesting the people of Canada to observe June 23 of every year as a National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism ....

Garrison Petawawa holds Afghanistan commemoration parade
Many soldiers were training n Alberta during national day of honour

CBC News
21 June 2014

Garrison Petawawa hosted a solemn commemoration parade on Saturday after many soldiers from the brigade missed the National Day of Honour while training in Alberta.

A national ceremony was held on Parliament Hill on May 9 as a one-time event to honour the 40,000 who fought and the 158 who fell during Canada's mission in Afghanistan.

On Saturday, 3,150 brigade members filled a square at CFB Petawawa to honour the men and woman who died in Afghanistan.

The families of military members were also invited.

Donna Beek said the commemoration brought her closure, after losing her son Trooper Corey Hayes to an improvised explosive device blast in Afghanistan in 2009. Hearing Amazing Grace brought tears to her eyes.

"They played that at my son's funeral and on the tarmac. So every time I hear that it comes back," she said. "Today is closure. Time to move on."

Col. Peter Dawe, the commander 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (2 CMBG) based at Garrison Petawawa, said a second commemoration will be held on June 28 for a Petawawa-based military leader who died during training in Wainwright, Alta., in May.

Lt.-Col. Dan Bobbitt was killed when an armoured carrier overturned during a training exercise.

"We're still grieving that. We haven't really had a chance to close the book on that, frankly," he said.

Bobbit was the commanding officer of the 2nd Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery (2 RCHA).

With no current or remotely recent threads on Afghanistan, I thought I would post this here instead of a new thread just for this one video.

I thought it was a great video, and brings back memories for those of us who endured the worst sunburns & insect room-mates on planet Earth  :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gDnHVyUlIY

Back