• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

09 May 2014 - Parade to mark the end of Canadian Ops in Afghanistan

ObedientiaZelum said:
Nope but the good news is there's a 2CMBG Afghan Memorial Day parade on Saturday June 21st  ;D

Parade participation will max out at 20% GCS/OSM medal holders and the remainder b****ing about how they have to work on a Saturday.

I am not an Afghanistan vet but am associated with a unit that has many. I know from personal contacts that they are looking forward to some sort of public appreciation (as am I and many other non-Afghanistan vets - I want to wave the flag and cheer for them - they have earned this) but it appears that the chain of command is totally immobilized on this. We have been unable to get any guidance from the Army as to what is happening. My suggestion is to simply let the Regimental Association take over the entire issue and to hell with the chain of command. Really, its only two-weeks -and-a-bit away, and still no direction or plan? I do notice however that there is no shortage of direction on where the pips and crowns will go and what the new Army buttons will look like. Maybe all the decision-making effort is going into trivial issues. Plus ca change . . .

::)

Questions are being asked at all levels, within DND, Government, Municipal, etc.  Does someone in a high position, just expect all to show up in uniform, meet on Parliament Hill and mill about before wandering the streets of Ottawa?  It is beginning to look that way.

:facepalm:

New press concern is that Gen Hillier, LGen Leslie, and Col Stogran have all not received invitations and that Gen Natynczyk has also probably not received an invitation.  The Liberals have come out and said this is a partisan event and not about those who fought the mission.  I suspect the accusation of malice to be inaccurate; the excitement over the last few days is probably a shortfall in communication and/or planning.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/key-players-in-afghan-mission-have-yet-to-receive-day-of-honour-invitations-1.1789907

MCG said:
I suspect the accusation of malice to be inaccurate; the excitement over the last few days is probably a shortfall in communication and/or planning.
Based on the previous article with allegegations of wanting to by-pass Legion high command, I'd suspect it might be a 10:90 ratio.

Given the way the RCL has all but shunned the Afghanistan vets, I doubt many of those vets would miss the Legion participation anyway.

My unit just got more clarity, apparently there are supposed to be Base-level parades to coincide with the national level one in Ottawa. We still don't have any SA on how many from my unit, if any, are required for the national parade.

recceguy said:
Given the way the RCL has all but shunned the Afghanistan vets, I doubt many of those vets would miss the Legion participation anyway.

:nod:

I heard the sleeping conditions might be a little austere for this event.

If people will be staying at CRPTC (Connaught Ranges), then the conditions are indeed austere. Of the 5 trailer shacks (on Webley) that once stood there, one had to be demolished recently. The others are in equally bad shape, and generally so occupied on weekends that some PRes BMQ course staff have difficulty getting rooms (some even opted for hootches to solve the issue). This is compounded by the fact that DCRA (a civvy shooting organization) is bumping us in priority on shacks. The other accomodations on site include the Bren Gun temporaries which are so full of dead flies (thousands) and their excrement that nary a soul will stay there. Other options are the cadet shelters, which are basically bunk beds in tarp shelters (8 pers to a shelter IIRC) and permanent shower/toilet facilities meant to accomodate the PRes when LFCA Training Centre Meaford had a det for summer training with their Mod Tent concrete pads. Not exactly the best facilities to prep and wear DEU in a manner fitting for a national parade.

Hopefully it isn't CRPTC, because there will already be a PRes BMQ running out of CRPTC on that weekend which generally takes up a trailer shack on it's own, leaving 3 (or bumping us somewhere else).

You'd almost be better with cots on armoury floors, honestly.

acen said:
If people will be staying at CRPTC (Connaught Ranges), then the conditions are indeed austere. Of the 5 trailer shacks (on Webley) that once stood there, one had to be demolished recently. The others are in equally bad shape, and generally so occupied on weekends that some PRes BMQ course staff have difficulty getting rooms (some even opted for hootches to solve the issue). This is compounded by the fact that DCRA (a civvy shooting organization) is bumping us in priority on shacks. The other accomodations on site include the Bren Gun temporaries which are so full of dead flies (thousands) and their excrement that nary a soul will stay there. Other options are the cadet shelters, which are basically bunk beds in tarp shelters (8 pers to a shelter IIRC) and permanent shower/toilet facilities meant to accomodate the PRes when LFCA Training Centre Meaford had a det for summer training with their Mod Tent concrete pads. Not exactly the best facilities to prep and wear DEU in a manner fitting for a national parade.

Hopefully it isn't CRPTC, because there will already be a PRes BMQ running out of CRPTC on that weekend which generally takes up a trailer shack on it's own, leaving 3 (or bumping us somewhere else).

....But they do have a decent Mess Hall.  ;D

It is beyond my comprehension why DND has not torn down those mold infested quarters and built one or two Two Hundred Man shacks like they have in Wainwright, Meaford and even in CTC or even those new "Hotel" style quarters they have built in places like CFB Trenton, CFB Kingston and CFB Petawawa.  With the NORTEL Campus practically across the street and Shirley's Bay across the fence, it would have made sense to have built Single Quarters and Transient Quarters out at Connaught years ago. 

George Wallace said:
....But they do have a decent Mess Hall.  ;D

It is beyond my comprehension why DND has not torn down those mold infested quarters and built one or two Two Hundred Man shacks like they have in Wainwright, Meaford and even in CTC or even those new "Hotel" style quarters they have built in places like CFB Trenton, CFB Kingston and CFB Petawawa.  With the NORTEL Campus practically across the street and Shirley's Bay across the fence, it would have made sense to have built Single Quarters and Transient Quarters out at Connaught years ago.

Very true about the mess! Better than Normandy Court in my experience. These are the same facilities that made national news a few years ago when they housed WWII vets temporarily for a parade. It does have it's fair share of interesting individuals that call the shacks home permanently though! http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/02/27/military-reservist-charged-with-ottawa-sex-assault

[Edit to replace link with one that is more acceptable.  PM sent to poster.]

acen said:

Oh good lord I hope we're not going to be housing the families and dignitaries of Afghanistan soldiers anywhere on Connaught...  :facepalm: That would get us more attention than the conditions in Sochi leading up to the Olympics...

I hope they would, at the very least, put them up in any of the reasonable three-star hotels in downtown Ottawa within a reasonable walking distance of the parade.  There is also still the 40%-vacant Uplands site which has plenty of housing (sans furniture) that could be used for short-term housing.

acen said:

There will be a few BMQs by that time there.

Cadet weather havens are probably free and empty.  Not quite cots on the armoury floor but pretty close...

acen said:

We did something like this in the UK and arranged 'up homers' for the Marines involved. It was fantastic. Many of the guys were 'adopted' by their home stay families and I don't recall any disciplinary issues involved.

Our AFG veterans on the floor in a green maggot? CAF, please make an 'L' with your thumb and forefinger and place it on your forehead ....

A bit more info ....
Prime Minister Stephen Harper will participate in events marking the National Day of Honour on May 9, 2014, to commemorate and recognize Canada’s military mission in Afghanistan. The Prime Minister will be joined by His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, and General Thomas J. Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff. 

Prime Minister Harper today announced that Rick Hansen has agreed to act as emcee for the National Day of Honour.

Rick Hansen is an internationally recognized wheelchair athlete who has raised millions of dollars for spinal chord research, rehabilitation and quality of life initiatives through the Foundation that bears his name. For his athletic prowess and philanthropic endeavours, Mr. Hansen has received numerous accolades, including Companion of the Order of Canada, honorary university degrees and being made an honorary colonel of the Canadian Armed Forces’ Joint Personnel Support Unit.

The National Day of Honour commemorates the service and sacrifice of the members of the Canadian Armed Forces and employees of the Public Service of Canada who served in Afghanistan. It also provides an opportunity to thank family members, friends and all Canadians for their tremendous support. Finally, the day recognizes the sacrifices made by the Families of the Fallen.

The National Day of Honour is being commemorated through a series of events across Canada. In the National Capital Region, the National Ceremony will begin with a parade that will travel from the CanadianWarMuseum to Parliament Hill. This will be followed by two minutes of silence, a two-part fly-by salute and a public viewing of the Afghanistan Memorial Vigil in the Hall of Honour in the Centre Block on Parliament Hill.

During Canada’s 12-year mission in Afghanistan, more than 40,000 brave men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces, along with hundreds of courageous Canadian civilians and international allies, worked to defeat terrorism and give Afghans a chance at a better future. In the course of the mission, terrorist sanctuaries were destroyed, the Afghan security forces were built-up to defend their country, schools were built to allow more children access to education and critical infrastructure has been constructed to enable development and business.

These great achievements came at a significant price. Our country lost lives, including 158 military personnel, one diplomat and a number of civilians in this mission to make the world a safer place. Their sacrifice is one of the many things that continually inspire servicemen and women to push forward and to continue serving their country.

Quick Facts

- On March 12, 2014, Canada marked the conclusion of its military training mission in Afghanistan during a flag lowering ceremony in Kabul. The ceremony also recognized the conclusion of Canada’s current civilian policing mission.
- On March 18, 2014, Prime Minister Harper welcomed home the final contingent of Canadian Armed Forces members from our mission in Afghanistan and declared May 9, 2014 a “National Day of Honour” by Royal Proclamation.
- Canada’s contribution to the mission in Afghanistan began in October 2001 with Operation APOLLO. As part of that operation, HMCS Halifax was directed to detach from the NATO Standing Force Atlantic and to proceed to the Arabian Sea.
- Canada’s engagement in Afghanistan was a whole-of-government effort throughout the entire mission. Since 2001, Canada has deployed members of various departments including the Canadian Armed Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and other police services from across the country, the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development, Correctional Service Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency, to assist Afghans with the provision of governance, justice, human rights and security.
- Canada was part of one of the largest coalitions in history, bringing together 28 NATO allies and 22 partners representing over a quarter of the countries on the planet.
- Since 2011, Canada’s mission in Afghanistan focused on four key areas: investing in the future of Afghans through education and health; advancing security, the rule of law and human rights; promoting regional diplomacy; and delivering humanitarian assistance to the Afghan people.
- The Canadian Armed Forces conducted operations in a number of different roles involving air, land and sea assets. Activities included combat, security, development, support and training operations in varying capacities and regions in Afghanistan.
More details about events in attached backgrounder.

Like everyone else that's still stumbling around trying to figure out how we're to recognize this event in home locations, the unit I'm with, 56 Fd, has tried to improvise something
We'll be approaching local news seeking their interest in covering this by possibly doing interviews of P Res soldiers from the region that served overseas. From ~100 personnel in the unit, 60 deployed, so there are quite a few stories to be told, but whether or not the media chooses to tell those stories, or focuses instead on the lack of planning and partisan approach of the GoC, of course remains up to the media.

Otherwise, I haven't seen a thing on how this day is to be recognized, if you're not in Ottawa (mitt hootchie gear & DEU)

Back