• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

09 May 2014 - Parade to mark the end of Canadian Ops in Afghanistan

eliminator

Reaction score
The wrap up of Op Attention this month brings the end of Canada's military mission in Afghanistan.  Is there any indication that there will be a mission conclusion parade in Ottawa, similar to the Op Mobile "Mission Recognition and Commemoration Parade"?

Yes, there will be one.  Yes, planning is underway.  Yes, you will hear about it before it happens.

dapaterson said:
Yes, there will be one.  Yes, planning is underway.  Yes, you will hear about it before it happens.
Will it be well enough in advance to allow people to plan to attend, especially if said people aren't in the National Capital Region?  :nod:

Technoviking said:
Will it be well enough in advance to allow people to plan to attend, especially if said people aren't in the National Capital Region?  :nod:

My unit was staff checked for pers who served in Afghanistan with a rumint date of 9 May 14. Probably a plus or minus 45 day type date...

PuckChaser said:
My unit was staff checked for pers who served in Afghanistan with a rumint date of 9 May 14. Probably a plus or minus 45 day type date...

My unit got told May 9th. Our CBG is expected to contribute 60 vets

Given that, AFAIK, the GG and PM will attend, and their calendars are set months in advance, if you've been given a date then it's probably not going to change.

Brihard said:

We were told the same thing.  9 May at the War Museum.

Thank you all.  I now have a 9 May calendar entry:  "Avoid YOW"

Journeyman said:
Thank you all.  I now have a 9 May calendar entry:  "Avoid YOW"

And that differs from every other day of the year how, exactly?

Brihard said:

Do you remember the name of that General that kept visiting Afghanistan and having talks with the troops where he would tell us all about his job and what he did and his building in Ottawa that wasn't NDHQ.  CEFCOM guy.

I hope he's at the parade.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I hope he's at the parade.
Oh, the parade will be filled with those guys.....up on the dias...in the shade.

[list type=decimal]
[*]It will be a goat rodeo;
[*]The formed-up troops will get most of the cock;
[*]The most long-winded, self-congratulatory speeches will be by those who contributed the least; and
[*]It will be another ripe target for the congenitally anti-military, anti-government journalists  'think tanks'  dingbats.
[/list]

You folks enjoy; I've had my "welcome home" from people who meant it.

Journeyman said:
You folks enjoy; I've had my "welcome home" from people who meant it.

My welcome home for the troops that I know, was buying them a round at the bar...

NFLD Sapper said:
My welcome home for the troops that I know, was buying them a round at the bar...
Well, we know each other......you didn't buy me a beer when I got back......ergo  :whistle:

(Keep "he drinks dark ales" in the back of your mind next time we cross paths)   ;D

Journeyman said:
Well, we know each other......you didn't buy me a beer when I got back......ergo  :whistle:

(Keep "he drinks dark ales" in the back of your mind next time we cross paths)   ;D

:facepalm:  :nod:  ;D

Journeyman said:

El Cheapo,

I bought you more than one and, trust me, after this past EX --- it's high time you returned the favour as we avoid YOW (but  not on 9 May as the training area of Petawawa requires my presence over that date).

Jus' saying.

ArmyVern said:
I bought you more than one and, trust me, after this past EX --- it's high time you returned the favour......
  Yes dear.  :-[

Ahhh "Victory in Afghanistan" Parade, tory blue ticker tape, grateful Canadian people shouting their love for us while the CDS rides in a chariot with his ADC whispering "you are not a God" in his ear.  The troops will then depart with the gratitude and wealth of the nation.  Pretty standard stuff.

Lightguns said:
Ahhh "Victory in Afghanistan" Parade, tory blue ticker tape, grateful Canadian people shouting their love for us while the CDS rides in a chariot with his ADC whispering "you are not a God" in his ear.  The troops will then depart with the gratitude and wealth of the nation.  Pretty standard stuff.

Wow!  You ARE old!!

ArmyVern said:
I bought you more than one and, trust me, after this past EX --- it's high time you returned the favour
Yes dear.  :-[
Besides.......[yes, it took me this long to come up with a quick retort]....you're the one who's chosen the hermit lifestyle during the week! 

If you want beer, you have to leave your cave and be sociable.

So there!  :nana:

ArmyVern said:
El Cheapo,

I bought you more than one and, trust me, after this past EX --- it's high time you returned the favour as we avoid YOW (but  not on 9 May as the training area of Petawawa requires my presence over that date).

Jus' saying.

Vern's alive?

Back