• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

‘Mythbusters’ accident almost kills family

cupper

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Sounds almost like trajectory the single bullet theory supposed before they proved that it was quite possible.

http://tvguide.ca/TVNews/Articles/111207_mythbusters_awry_GD

The San Francisco Gate reports that an accidental cannon firing in Dublin, Calif., on Tuesday could have turned tragic. It all happened during an experiment taking place at the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department bomb range, when the Discovery show’s crew shot a homemade cannon at containers of water.

Instead of striking the water, the “cantaloupe-sized” projectile blasted through a cinderblock wall, skimmed a hillside and traveled 700 yards further, where it entered a Tassajara Creek street as kids were returning home from school.

Guess they may need to reassess the height of the backstop.
The cannonball shot through the front door of a home on Cassata Place, up the stairs in through a bedroom where a man, woman and child were sleeping.

Displaying just the kind of quirk spotlighted in Mythbusters, inertia carried the projectile through the bedroom wall, crossed a six-lane street, ripped tiles of the roof of a neighbouring house and thumped into a minivan.

The 'Mythbusters' cannonball run as seen on a map

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57339699-71/the-mythbusters-cannonball-run-as-seen-on-a-map/?tag=mncol;editorPicks

What did we do before Google Earth and Google Maps?

As much as the "MythBusters" have failed in a most epic way here....
(and thank God no one was hurt)

OMG...scence s ttly mnstrm.
#want to do scence...ttlly cool!

If you, (or your kid) understood the above post...fill their boots!
I Love the way these guys have made applied science interesting, and palatable to the masses.

Science bitches!
It works.

I love this show.  I'm actually surprised that this is the first major incident they've had.

Hammer Sandwich said:
I Love the way these guys have made applied science interesting, and palatable to the masses.

They have guys on the show?  I hadn't noticed...

karifhm2.jpg

She's also why I can watch Mythbusters with the sound off...by myself.....in the dark.
:nod:

Tangent - a brief one.

The Weather Network. Please observe Lyndsey.

Now, I have never operated a cannon nor have been near a ball when it has ripped through a wall, so forgive my ignorance, but would that not create a hell of alot of noise for someone to sleep through?

jasonf6 said:
I love this show.  I'm actually surprised that this is the first major incident they've had.

Fortunately, no one was hurt. The unfortunate part is that the insurers (and lawyers) will get involved and may put a crimp on future shows.

As a long time fan, this is pretty amazing.

They detonate large amounts of explosives on a regular basis, fire cannons, pistols, rifles, machine guns and even Gatling guns (twice that I know of). They tweak items to make them explode (a hot water heater shot through a roof and several hundred feet in the air), crash vehicles and even fire rocket sleds at stationary objects.

Many experiments have been on the other side of insane ("but this dial goes to 11...") and I have seen several out of control events like rocket torpedoes leaving the water or cars escaping their tethers (one flew over a retaining wall and crashed outside the boundary of the test track), but this is the first one I know of that put innocent people in danger.

Look for more experiments in the deep desert or that rock quarry on future episodes.

Back