• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Constraining Canadian Federal Budget during Post COVID Downturn

I think sometimes we don't give ourselves enough credit for actually working for and improving our stations in life. And people who decide to waste their education and earning years should not be entitled to a portion of my pay cheque.
The pay cheque that comes from the pay cheques of other people?

I get your point, but I don’t think Brihard was referring to deadbeats leeching off the system.

The pay cheque that comes from the pay cheques of other people?

I get your point, but I don’t think Brihard was referring to deadbeats leeching off the system.

That I also agreed to as the deal remuneration for my time and effort. There for its earned. Very different than someone doing nothing and drawing off of other people's pay.

Let's also not forget that I am a tax payer myself. So 40% (ish) of my salary never even hits my account. So essentially the GoC is getting 100% of me at 40% discount. Pretty sweet deal.

Reactions: ueo
As a Boomer -

If you are going to suck back on OAS can I have my EI premiums back, with the lost interest, after a lifetime of paying and not claiming?

I lived in the wrong part of the country.
IMG_3074.jpeg
😆
Would be interesting to see the pushback that would likely follow, and from whom? 🤔 I suspect a lot would come from Boomers.

That I also agreed to as the deal remuneration for my time and effort. There for its earned. Very different than someone doing nothing and drawing off of other people's pay.

Let's also not forget that I am a tax payer myself. So 40% (ish) of my salary never even hits my account. So essentially the GoC is getting 100% of me at 40% discount. Pretty sweet deal.
I don’t disagree.

Just remember that a not insignificant amount of people don’t want their taxes going towards your salary or benefits and if you gave them the option not to, they would jump at that chance.

I don’t disagree.

Just remember that a not insignificant amount of people don’t want their taxes going towards your salary or benefits and if you gave them the option not to, they would jump at that chance.

I'm absolutely cool with that.

I think sometimes we don't give ourselves enough credit for actually working for and improving our stations in life. And people who decide to waste their education and earning years should not be entitled to a portion of my pay cheque.
I think you missed the part where I’m mostly talking about people who were either constantly working, albeit still poor, or who weren’t very employed for circumstances beyond their control. I feel I was pretty clear about that, particularly given that I included CPP that can only be earned by working.

I think you missed the part where I’m mostly talking about people who were either constantly working, albeit still poor, or who weren’t very employed for circumstances beyond their control. I feel I was pretty clear about that, particularly given that I included CPP that can only be earned by working.

Let him haver.

As long as we hold your standards high and firm I'm ok with it. And as long as their circumstances are outside of their control.

I mean, every military member plans their present and future on others’ paycheque. We are funded by taxpayers.

There is a difference between providing a service then receiving remuneration for that service as part of a defined contract/TOS; and just just drawing social support. One is earned and on is taken. It's very different. And we're also tax payers ourselves.

Unless you're trying to conflate that military service is something akin to social assistance?

except maybe those whose income total never provided a margin for the future. Not everyone is blessed with a job that pays above minimum wage

To me the why or how come is the most important part of that scenario.

“Old Age Security”.

So, if already financially secure… I’m not personally opposed to means testing for OAS.
Fully agreed.
And, as a a younger person with what is soon to be children, there's more fat that can be trimmed from personal transfer programs without leaving those in need out in the cold. Don't get me wrong, I like what's left of my CCB after clawbacks. If we're cutting senior's with retirement AFNIs north of 100k cheques for 700 per month just because- gimme my baby bonus. But from the perspective of societal good both are completely unnecessary, bordering on decadent, government spending, both should be on the chopping block.

Fully agreed.
And, as a a younger person with what is soon to be children, there's more fat that can be trimmed from personal transfer programs without leaving those in need out in the cold. Don't get me wrong, I like what's left of my CCB after clawbacks. If we're cutting senior's with retirement AFNIs north of 100k cheques for 700 per month just because- gimme my baby bonus. But from the perspective of societal good both are completely unnecessary, bordering on decadent, government spending, both should be on the chopping block.
consider priorities. A senior who put 40 years in at low paying jobs with no pension benefits receives far less than someone who walked across the border in Quebec pleading refugee status. He gets a hotel room, meal allowance and medical benefits the senior gets a rat hole near the tracks off church street complete with roaches and mold.

consider priorities. A senior who put 40 years in at low paying jobs with no pension benefits receives far less than someone who walked across the border in Quebec pleading refugee status. He gets a hotel room, meal allowance and medical benefits the senior gets a rat hole near the tracks off church street complete with roaches and mold.
Does said senior have a household income over 100k in retirement? No? Ok then I pretty clearly wasnt talking about them.

What's at question isn't whether some seniors need support, it's whether giving money to those that don't is a good use of tax-payer funds that we can't afford to spend.

Last edited:
They didn't cut out the avocado toast soon enough, or pull hard enough on their bootstraps?

Brother we can take a drive together up in the Rideau Heights, Ill be in Kingston in 2 weeks, and we wont be able to swing a stick without hitting ten people who chose a life of social assistance instead of putting in the effort to be better. Life is fucking hard, its a struggle for most of us. And we can either take the easy route or the route that requires effort.

I have drug dealer who are my neighbors. Making wads of illegal cash, and pumping out more and more kids to get more of that sweet Gov dole. I live deep in a ghetto I see this shit all the time. Funny enough, they aren't my worst neighbors. They generally want to keep a low key, which makes total sense.

Having said all this, for those with real disabilities, in what ever form, I am all for supporting them as a society.

Universal Basic Income has entered the discussion....will or won't Canada do it?

Back