• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

It as been tried. We received a recruit that when to that process. The civilian contracted MD didn’t understand why a person with a handicapped arm should not be able to be a gunner.

IMHO, it can be done if the civilian MD contractor received proper « training » IRT military medical standards.
I’m going to blame the CAF for not properly addressing what a fit for trade requirement is on that. Any MD or PA should be capable of conducting a physical and determining fitness for trade assuming there is a standard given to them.

I’m going to blame the CAF for not properly addressing what a fit for trade requirement is on that. Any MD or PA should be capable of conducting a physical and determining fitness for trade assuming there is a standard given to them.

You clearly don't 'get' Doctors' Unions, do you? ;)

I wonder how effective the current aptitude test is for screening candidates in and out. Is it really just an IQ/personality test to see whether someone has the "smarts" to do a particular trade? How much does it account for differences in cultural backgrounds, and where individuals are in their personal life. Is it easier to mold a single 18 year old coming right out of HS into whatever we need compared to a 32 year old with a young family?
The other issue is how accepting is the system to post BMQ training failure? Are our current training methods suited best to meet our manning requirements. Would there be some areas where some sort of exposure training to their trade for a few months would benefit individuals before sending them on ab-initio training?

There isn’t any reason that couldn’t be done at a local Health Care facility, or Family Doctors office, and it would be significantly cheaper.
No to mention avoiding the whole bad blood aspect of people being recruited and booted out upon medical fail.
Hire some doctors from India on contract. They come for minimum 2 years, do all the medicals as per whatever standard the CAF wants. If they are good they get offered 3 years more and can apply to immigrate and now have "Canadian experience" so they don't have to be cab drivers.

The guy who sees my daughter for her diabetes is a Spinal Surgeon from India, he is great and super smart. He can't be called a doctor here so he is referred to as a "Case Manager" and works as a assistant to the head doctor. who pokes his head in for 30 seconds to fulfil some requirement. The military could follow the same formula. Funny enough the surgeon was going to bring his parents here, but now says no fricking way because our healthcare sucks.

Hire some doctors from India on contract. They come for minimum 2 years, do all the medicals as per whatever standard the CAF wants. If they are good they get offered 3 years more and can apply to immigrate and now have "Canadian experience" so they don't have to be cab drivers.

The guy who sees my daughter for her diabetes is a Spinal Surgeon from India, he is great and super smart. He can't be called a doctor here so he is referred to as a "Case Manager" and works as a assistant to the head doctor. who pokes his head in for 30 seconds to fulfil some requirement. The military could follow the same formula. Funny enough the surgeon was going to bring his parents here, but now says no fricking way because our healthcare sucks.
I dont see the why to this? Are you suggesting the Canadian Health Care system does not have enough doctors or PA's or NPA's to conduct CAF Medicals?
I find that exceedingly hard to believe - and if the CAF can't get Canadian Medical Professionals to conduct a CAF Medical correctly, why would one think that they could get a foreign one to do it better?

I
I dont see the why to this? Are you suggesting the Canadian Health Care system does not have enough doctors or PA's or NPA's to conduct CAF Medicals?
I find that exceedingly hard to believe - and if the CAF can't get Canadian Medical Professionals to conduct a CAF Medical correctly, why would one think that they could get a foreign one to do it better?
I can see two reasons:

A. Faster CAF medicals and treatments; and

B. Can be sold as a way to fast track immigrant Dr's into the Canadian system, benefiting all Canadians.

I wonder how effective the current aptitude test is for screening candidates in and out. Is it really just an IQ/personality test to see whether someone has the "smarts" to do a particular trade? How much does it account for differences in cultural backgrounds, and where individuals are in their personal life. Is it easier to mold a single 18 year old coming right out of HS into whatever we need compared to a 32 year old with a young family?
The other issue is how accepting is the system to post BMQ training failure? Are our current training methods suited best to meet our manning requirements. Would there be some areas where some sort of exposure training to their trade for a few months would benefit individuals before sending them on ab-initio training?
If only the CAF had professionals who develop, monitor and adjust the testing regime, and others responsible for the IT&E framework, and aligning it with best practices in adult education.

If only the CAF had professionals who develop, monitor and adjust the testing regime, and others responsible for the IT&E framework, and aligning it with best practices in adult education.
Oh my... I can remember a couples of meeting when the IT&E was suggesting adaptable solutions to training issues and other groups were looking at us as if we were from an other planet. It's always coming back to not trusting someone to do the right things. I wonder how they build up and entire Army in the 40's with out been highly centralized like today :unsure:

It as been tried. We received a recruit that when to that process. The civilian contracted MD didn’t understand why a person with a handicapped arm should not be able to be a gunner.

IMHO, it can be done if the civilian MD contractor received proper « training » IRT military medical standards.
That’s a failing in our system then. The RCMP and just about every other emergency service simply has members see civilian doctors and fill out a form clearly laying out medical requirements.

Oh my... I can remember a couples of meeting when the IT&E was suggesting adaptable solutions to training issues and other groups were looking at us as if we were from an other planet. It's always coming back to not trusting someone to do the right things. I wonder how they build up and entire Army in the 40's with out been highly centralized like today :unsure:
Well they had a few years to iron out the kinks in England.

Well they had a few years to iron out the kinks in England.
Of course they did. But we recruited and had a basic unit training before going over seas. I mean it’s not like entire divisions were just kitted and send overseas and learn how to drill and shoot.

Try and find an MD who is willing to take the pay cut to process mil applicants or in fact one who will offer a bloc of time.

Try and find an MD who is willing to take the pay cut to process mil applicants or in fact one who will offer a bloc of time.
If it comes thru Calian, it should be possible but $$$$.

The Royal Rifles were stationed in Newfoundland and the Winnipeg Grenadiers were in Bermuda before going to Hong Kong.
They were there because the then head of Army Training, Col (later, in HK, A/Brigadier) J.K. Lawson had declared -spring of 1941 - both units as being NOT ready to go to England and join a division.

Back