• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strike

I hope that MWO got told to pound copious amounts of sand.
Not really, they held a lot of control over postings, so they were politely persuaded to comply with the leave policy manual.

At the time, and even to this day, MWOs essentially control the postings in my occupation, but back then there was almost zero oversight. Since joining the Int branch there is better oversight, and less neglect.

It never ceases to amaze me when I see a Snr NCM or Officer just make up their own rules and regulations.

Many of us have a completely out of touch understanding of our responsibility, capability and importance.
Those sorts of Snr "Leaders" are the best argument for a CAF union, someone to go to bat for the member when the CoC has too many of the "I'm the boss, what I say goes" types.

Last edited:
Those sorts of Snr "Leaders" are the best argument for a CAF union, someone to go to bat for the member when the CoC has too many of the "I'm the boss, what I say goes" types.

I think its an education piece. I recently had conversation with a pers senior to me who didn't understand that the CRCN doesn't control CAF/RCN pay rates. We do not prepare our Snr NCMs to understand the institution and that outside organizations have legislation that governs CAF policy.

Its like people who think CWO/CPO1s are the boss, nope. They are just the highest middle manager. And that 21 year old 2Lt or A/Slt is senior to them in rank. Don't get me wrong, that CWO/CPO1 should have influence and pull; and shouldn't be ignored, but that commission trumps.

Last edited:
Ah, some of my favourite union stories are the ones where the senior members f*ck over the junior members. There really is no other way to describe it.

I don't know what stories people are telling you. I was only in one Local.

The three emergency services in our town were unionized on three separate dates in 1917 and 1918.
So, no one alive can remember a time when they were not.

Only thing I know for sure is, by the time I retired, our collective agreement had improved substantially from when I joined.
And has improved since then.

No, nor was my intent to limit the statement to Snr NCMs. Just playing in the topic at hand.
It's "fun" to have to go above your immediate formation command to correct errors made by a previous commanding officer with potential for strong negative impacts on people, all because they dramatically overstepped their authority...

I'll also note that officers in theory should be introduced to those concepts much earlier in their careers; there's some ignorance that is much more concerning when found in officers than in NCMs.
Like GOFOs that don't understand that their Command doesn't trump CAF level orders, and ignore basic safety in an entire element?

"The O in QR&O does not, in fact, stand for Optional" was not an email I ever thought I would have to send, but...

Related topic: how do you build leaders who look and plan beyond the end of their nose? Many CAF problems are caused by strategic leaders focused on today, instead of five to ten years from now.

That sounds like a great story.
Sadly not so much, but hopefully becomes a 'past' story before it turns into BOI scenario or something similarly public following people getting unecessarily injured in a totally avoidable situation.

Many CAF problems are caused by strategic leaders focused on today, instead of five to ten years from now.

How many of those strategic leaders have one foot out the door already and/or are just buying time treading water until their golden handcuffs can be removed? Do they really care what happens 5-10 years down the line, doubt it.

You must be new here.
Happens at the provincial level too.

The minister meets with his buddies over breakfast at the local diner and comes up with a new “plan” on the back of a paper napkin. Three days later, this “policy” is announced on Twitter and everyone from the DM down is scrambling.

How many of those strategic leaders have one foot out the door already and/or are just buying time treading water until their golden handcuffs can be removed? Do they really care what happens 5-10 years down the line, doubt it.
I agree that many of those people are half out the door, but I disagree that they don't care about how things will end up in 5-10 years. I've met a couple of people like that, but they tend to be the minority in my experience.

Chances are that by the time you're in a policy/strategic position you are pensionable, or damn close.

Well this is a fuckup. A failure to declare some civilian employees essential means 700 troops living in shacks in Petawawa are without heat or hot water.

Back