• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

No one mentions the Billions saved on salary, training and benefits for all the empty positions we have. $30m is a drop in the bucket.
That's why I question the "we were over our funding envelope" narrative ๐Ÿ˜„

Just saying 3% can be the low side of pay negotiations right now. My private union got 3% each year for 5 years AND a yearly cost of living increase based off the government inflation index (always lower than the real inflation but still substantially better than just the 3%).

Different pots of money.
I have an R&D Budget and a Marketing and several other budgets.
I canโ€™t just take money from one fund - to use for another.

The CAF was allocated X for allowance money. They continued to spend more than that despite not being allowed too.
They also returned other Monies.
Two (min) examples of incompetence and potential malfeasance, but it remains that the pot of money for allowances was being overspent.

Different pots of money.
I have an R&D Budget and a Marketing and several other budgets.
I canโ€™t just take money from one fund - to use for another.

The CAF was allocated X for allowance money. They continued to spend more than that despite not being allowed too.
They also returned other Monies.
Two (min) examples of incompetence and potential malfeasance, but it remains that the pot of money for allowances was being overspent.
Yes but with a severe shortage of personnel, I question whether they are actually exceeding their funding envelope for that chunk of allocated budget or whether this is just....

"With these imaginary PYs, we exceed our chunk of funding for this"

PLD has been around since the 1990s. Has the CAF exceeded the funding envelope or did the CAF increase in size around 2005ish and not bother allocating more money to Comp & Benefits.

PLD itself hasn't even been updated in a decade +.

There was nothing wrong with the policy, there was a lot wrong with our poor stewardship of said policy.

There was nothing wrong with the policy, there was a lot wrong with our poor stewardship of said policy.
This point can be said about almost all the newsworthy scandals the CAF has experienced since Somalia.

Sexual misconduct, toxic leadership, diversity, inclusion, systemic racism...all of it.

The CAF of 2023 bears the brunt of those before us who fucked off their primary duty of implementing and maintaining policy. Now that we're under the microscope, we are dictated what our policy will be.

Thus why we see PLD disappearing; if it had been reviewed and revised every year like it was supposed to, it would still be a thing.

This point can be said about almost all the newsworthy scandals the CAF has experienced since Somalia.

Sexual misconduct, toxic leadership, diversity, inclusion, systemic racism...all of it.

The CAF of 2023 bears the brunt of those before us who fucked off their primary duty of implementing and maintaining policy. Now that we're under the microscope, we are dictated what our policy will be.

Thus why we see PLD disappearing; if it had been reviewed and revised every year like it was supposed to, it would still be a thing.
What the CAF actually needs is a total force reduction.

It's a 1% GDP Military trying to act like a 2% GDP military.

I don't even understand how you can justify, intellectually speaking, cutting compensation to "skilled" members in order to give "unskilled" members more money.

It doesn't make any sense and goes against a bunch of pretty simple principles LOL.

Total agreement. We couldn't even get people to abide by the COVID polices at my workplace in 2020/2021. Yet we expect some sort higher level of integrity and discipline.

Yup same here. Guess out in the real world you can negotiate a raise on top of inflation. Wonder what that's like..

Excited to see all the new trucks in the PMQs and on Base come August.

My wifeโ€™s salary increase 40%. Iโ€™ll never know what that is like. Lol

It โ€œmightโ€ still be a thing. PLD already included a plan for TPLD. TPLD never happened at all.

TB said โ€œnoโ€ to a transition period on PLD/HD. Based on the CAF record on revisiting things as promised, it was denied.

Apparently only 7,700ish people received PLD. HD will apply to 30k members.

This info was being brief to Command Teams from folks at the GOFO level, yesterday.

Wanted to add this to some stuff said above.

I would caution anyone expecting Senior Leadership, both NCM or Officer, to care about this latest issue.

I personally think most Senior Leaders in the Military suffer from a form of survivor bias.

"I suffered through this so everyone else should as well"

It's basically stockholm syndrome which is why Systemic Abuse, toxic leadership, etc was allowed to fester for so long.

Thus why we see PLD disappearing; if it had been reviewed and revised every year like it was supposed to, it would still be a thing. Commie nonsense.

Woke commie nonsense.

Also in Maple Pravda's article, finally someone says it publicly:

As part of the new deal, Treasury Board is requiring that the military stick to its $150 million annual budget for the housing benefit, Tattersall said. The Canadian Armed Forces went over budget by $30 million โ€” to $180 million โ€” when the Treasury Board approved the new policy, she added.

"We've only ever been approved to spend a finite amount on this benefit," she said. "We were spending more than what we were approved.

If we took that 150 mil and just divided it by 75k

That's around 2000 a month we could have given everyone as a flat rate PLD thing-a-ma-bob.

Back