• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Honestly I think the next thing to after is inheritances. Lots of money will be passed down over two generations and the gvt will want its cut…
Forgivable loans to your family before you become worm food. I'm not a tax guy, but it sounds like a good alternative to avoid those taxes. Open to enlightenment.

Naw. There are plenty of other ways to fight back. Foremost among them is to remember that leisure time is not taxable.

I hope Canadians who are now out thousands of dollars don't rip a page out of the BC eco terrorist book and start taking matters into their own hands.
For many it's tens of thousands of dollars. I know of half a dozen instances, right now, that will cost the owners $40,000 to $80,000 and maybe more.

Everything is taxable. Look at the carbon tax. They are literally taxing the air you breathe. You are being taxed for the water you drink, if you use that plastic, cardboard box, water bottle thingy.

Air and water.

People are lazy and don't drill down far enough. Critical thinking is dying quickly.

Which is also wrong. Where does this Canadian sense of entitlement to the fruits of other peoples efforts come from ?
There is a loud segment (mostly from the NDP side) about how inheritances are unfair and promulgate the system of inequality…blah blah.

I’m not a fan of gvt dictating how people can leave or not leave their estates to whoever. I wonder how they would feel about passing on estates that are also in debt…

So while I think that seizing homes or cars is a far stretch, I’d be worried about this one. And technically people inherit homes…so…maybe not so far fetched.

Carbon taxes are just fuel taxes. Running (tap) water is a service, which people pay for.

Firearm confiscation ought to be seen for what it is - a "broken window". To the extent compensation falls below market value (prior to any correction in markets for the fact that the commodity is being outlawed), it is basically wealth destruction. I try to suppose that only stupid people destroy wealth, but there it is. At the margins, some people undoubtedly would sell off collections to finance retirement or other consumption. To the extent they can't do that, their consumption is reduced, which reduces velocity of money, which reduces (ultimately) government revenues. Again at the margins, some people will fall to income levels at which they are wholly dependent on government-funded retirement and other support, which (ultimately) increases government expenses.

A lot of small wheels are coming off the government bus just now. Whether the people in charge are smart enough to recognize the risk of the sum of all these things being dangerous and avoidable, is disputable. But it is self-correcting, without any need for anyone to aggravate public disorder.

Australian semi auto ban only netted about 20% compliance.

A little dated but still relevant
"Other researchers agree. In a white paper on the results of gun control efforts around the world, Franz Csaszar, a professor of criminology at the University of Vienna, Austria, gives examples of large-scale non-compliance with the ban. He points out, "In Australia it is estimated that only about 20% of all banned self-loading rifles have been given up to the authorities."

But that defiance was mostly on the part of peaceful civilians who just didn't want to bend their knees to politicians, and it was 20 years ago. What about the bad actors supposedly targeted for disarmament by the government?"

There is a loud segment (mostly from the NDP side) about how inheritances are unfair and promulgate the system of inequality…blah blah.

I’m not a fan of gvt dictating how people can leave or not leave their estates to whoever. I wonder how they would feel about passing on estates that are also in debt…

So while I think that seizing homes or cars is a far stretch, I’d be worried about this one. And technically people inherit homes…so…maybe not so far fetched.

It absolutely disgusts me that someone thinks they or the government should decide or have influence on inheritance. If a person works hard to leave the family a nest egg, then good for them. No matter how big that nest egg is.

Ya I don't see a confiscation of vehicles and houses, yet, but I do see a justification required to own a house with more rooms than people per say or to buy multiple homes. Same with vehicles. Want an F150 ? Show proof of requirement. No trailer to tow or construction base business, nope not for you. But have you seen the new Lata ?

Ya I don't see a confiscation of vehicles and houses, yet, but I do see a justification required to own a house with more rooms than people per say or to buy multiple homes. Same with vehicles. Want an F150 ? Show proof of requirement. No trailer to tow or construction base business, nope not for you. But have you seen the new Lata ?

I can easily see that with the climate change mania.
Why does a hairdresser who lives 10 minutes away from the salon need a Hummer or pick-up truck?

Why does a hairdresser who lives 10 minutes away from the salon need a Hummer or pick-up truck?

Not aiming this at you, but need has nothing to do with it. It's their money and choice, if that's what the choose to buy and drive then that's their choice.

The Gov and busy body folks can stay the F out of it as far as I am concerned.

don't give an ideas....

in realty I am sure thats in the plan somewhere.

Not aiming this at you, but need has nothing to do with it. It's their money and choice, if that's what the choose to buy and drive then that's their choice.

The Gov and busy body folks can stay the F out of it as far as I am concerned.
I see what you’re saying HT, but I was confused by your earlier post like Jarnhamar was, and thought you were espousing control over what people chose to buy. I see now you were meaning ‘that’s how far they’ll go and then some’ vice your own belief.

I’m concerned as are others, that the current government is on a high right now seeing how far it was able to push Canadians to accepting more and more control…and (reasonably) fearing for more grabbing of power and property to come…

It's their money and choice, if that's what the choose to buy and drive then that's their choice.
"I'll go check and see if it's in the the gun room."
"You have a room dedicated to just guns?"
"Yes."
"Why do you need so many guns that you need a whole room dedicated to them?"
"We're in America, right?"
"Yes..."
"Then I don't need to answer that question."

Back