• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

‘White nationalism’ a threat the Canadian Armed Forces aren’t equipped for: watchdog

The article refers to an NSIRA assessment released with redactions. That assessment is derived from total access to Canada’s security intelligence infrastructure.

It’s been quite telling seeing how the strength of some opinions clearly inversely correlates with individuals’ understanding of what NSIRA is or does, what the CSIS act says about “threats to the security of Canada”, and what the rare public glance behind the curtain does not say about the rest of the stuff we don’t get to see.

We have people in this thread pretending like this report identifies a ‘biggest threat’, or like this is a sole a singular national security focus when it very much isn’t. Almost as if we forget that literally yesterday charges were announced against an alleged Chinese spy, or that a couple of weeks ago a pair of ISIS returnees were arrested by RCMP INSET.

It’s almost like the CAF/veterans community suffers the same Dunning-Krueger effect regarding national security as the general public does about CAF.

I don’t know a whole ton about it, but I know a little bit; enough to know a whole lot is hidden behind the curtains, and that we aren’t really seeing much when knowingly given a peek like this, while others think it’s a great reveal.

I read the whole article. And I formed my opinion. And I stated it.

But I agree as well, as stated in another post. Some reaction/response to this article is a bit much for what the article actually states.

I read the whole article. And I formed my opinion. And I stated it.

But I agree as well, as stated in another post. Some reaction/response to this article is a bit much for what the article actually states.
Yup. Please understand that the first brief part of my reply was directly to you, and the rest of it was about the course of this thread more generally.

Yup. Please understand that the first brief part of my reply was directly to you, and the rest of it was about the course of this thread more generally.

I was picking up what you were putting down.

I was and am just clearly stating my position.

No intention of being a dick.

The thread got stupid. I didn’t aim that word at any individual members. No need to. Points made either do or don’t stand up on their own merits.

The thread got stupid. I didn’t aim that word at any individual members. No need to. Points made either do or don’t stand up on their own merits.
You seem to be the outlier. The rest of us were having a good discussion. As far as things not going along with the theme, that is a chronic problem in any thread around here. Most every one ends in some sort of tangent.
We didn't pick the subject of scorn to lay blame against. This government did.

And that's an opinion.

hugh laurie good point GIF

You seem to be the outlier. The rest of us were having a good discussion. As far as things not going along with the theme, that is a chronic problem in any thread around here. Most every one ends in some sort of tangent.
We didn't pick the subject of scorn to lay blame against. This government did.
Indeed- discussion ensued, with much gnashing of teeth, a lot of it divorced from any appreciable understanding of what’s actually being reported on. There hasn’t been much particularly informed or nuanced talk about our independent intelligence oversight body’s assessment of CAF’s struggles to keep pace with and address a tangible security threat. Instead there’s been everything from abject denial that that threat actually exists (it does, and the entire domestic national security infrastructure has seen that for years and is grappling with it), to complete red herrings and ‘whatabouts’.

So yeah, a serious subject has, sadly, elicited pretty unserious response.

And that's an opinion.

Yes, it is only that. I suppose we each adopt the perspectives that have served us in our respective lines of work.

Indeed- discussion ensued, with much gnashing of teeth, a lot of it divorced from any appreciable understanding of what’s actually being reported on. There hasn’t been much particularly informed or nuanced talk about our independent intelligence oversight body’s assessment of CAF’s struggles to keep pace with and address a tangible security threat. Instead there’s been everything from abject denial that that threat actually exists (it does, and the entire domestic national security infrastructure has seen that for years and is grappling with it), to complete red herrings and ‘whatabouts’.

So yeah, a serious subject has, sadly, elicited pretty unserious response.

Yes, it is only that. I suppose we each adopt the perspectives that have served us in our respective lines of work.
If your lines of work adopt the perspective that "this is stupid" because it doesn't fit your line of work narrative, that is stupid. You are not omniscient.

And you jump in to defend the RCMP at every occasion. Touche.
That’s patently false. Feel free to search and review my posting history if you’re confused about that. Also, this is largely a thread about NSIRA and CAF.

None of this is information that you, I, or anyone else in this thread needs special insight to understand. This is very foundational information for anyone who takes an interest in national security. I’m simply disappointed to see people jumping off half cocked without even attempting that basic understanding. I think some people are being defensive, thinking this is some sort of woke political BS or something when it’s really just sound national security work.
I actually didn't see it being denied,....I saw folks saying there were far bigger problems to deal with first......and then out of the blue they were all "stupid'.

I actually didn't see it being denied,....I saw folks saying there were far bigger problems to deal with first......and then out of the blue they were all "stupid'.
There were a couple direct or thinly veiled denials of it in the first couple pages.

Again, the thread got stupid from a combination of things. I’m not calling any individuals stupid.

That’s patently false. Feel free to search and review my posting history if you’re confused about that. Also, this is largely a thread about NSIRA and CAF.
Your posting history is mainly how we idiots have no knowledge how policing or security matters are conducted, so listen to our betters.

I object to your categorizing that the thread descended into stupidity because it didn't follow your narrative.

Your posting history is mainly how we idiots have no knowledge how policing or security matters are conducted, so listen to our betters.

I object to your categorizing that the thread descended into to stupidity because it didn't follow your narrative.
Yeah, because informed posts are a terrible thing for some when it doesn’t follow theirs.

This thread should be binned.

Back