• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

I wish that were the case but in all honesty we probably wouldn't spend another penny. We'd just trust that the US wouldn't allow anyone to touch our territory because it's a risk to them.
There is that pesky 4000 or so mile border to think about.

I wish that were the case but in all honesty we probably wouldn't spend another penny. We'd just trust that the US wouldn't allow anyone to touch our territory because it's a risk to them.
Would you do that? I would close the border and let us alone for a while, I would let us be afraid a bit.

Are you kidding? We'd be 1938 Czechoslovakia if it kept the Russians and Chinese from pursuing a larger conflict.

We have seen what happens to folks outside of the NATO umbrella when we have "guarantees" versus "treaty agreements"

It really is time for them to insist up or out for us.
What does that have to do with the budget increase?

I agree with @SupersonicMax; They could shovel all the money in the world at us, but unless we get more people, or the processes get cut (so requires less LOE to buy things with the people we already have) won't make a massive difference (unless we buy a lot of really expensive things, instead of all the items we actually need).

If we need 1000 parts and 1 million hours to fix stuff, giving us more money (on it's own) won't do anything, if we don't have the 1000 parts. If a widget is on the critical path, doesn't matter if it costs $0.50 or $50M, if we don't have it we won't have that capability. 🤷‍♂️

I think effective capability is really more important anyway, so really doesn't matter how much we spend if we do F-all with it. I'd be happy if we just did what we already do, except with ships that aren't carrying a huge amount of defects.

I agree with @SupersonicMax; They could shovel all the money in the world at us, but unless we get more people, or the processes get cut (so requires less LOE to buy things with the people we already have) won't make a massive difference (unless we buy a lot of really expensive things, instead of all the items we actually need).

If we need 1000 parts and 1 million hours to fix stuff, giving us more money (on it's own) won't do anything, if we don't have the 1000 parts. If a widget is on the critical path, doesn't matter if it costs $0.50 or $50M, if we don't have it we won't have that capability. 🤷‍♂️

I think effective capability is really more important anyway, so really doesn't matter how much we spend if we do F-all with it. I'd be happy if we just did what we already do, except with ships that aren't carrying a huge amount of defects.

You're right of course level of funding is only part of the problem.

The real issue is Canada needs to decide what it wants to be on the world stage.

I agree with you. However if the money is not named for a specific program, it’s lost. SoI would have like to see x amount for CAF reconstitution, x amount for NORAD or at least name generically what’s for. Out of all the option MDN named on Global, I’m sure she’s short.

Nothing like a serious increase in budget--graph from p. 153 PDF here:

1649377820261.png

See also p. 132, 134 PDF. Note this at latter--money for North, NORAD not new:

In Budget 2021, the government committed $252.2 million over five years
to sustain existing continental and Arctic defence capabilities, and to lay
the groundwork for NORAD’s future.

No there there.

Mark
Ottawa

RUMINT: DND (the MND's office) gave Freeland a fairly hefty proposal ~ several (something in excess of 60) Billion dollars ~ mostly for North American/Arctic defence ~ that was late coming in but that wasn't the problem. Very, very senior officials in Finance and TB and the PMO all agree that DND and Procurement and Supply cannot manage anything more than $6.1 Billion, and they are not sure they can even manage that.

The consensus amongst the bureaucratic grownups is that DND, especially, is totally ph_cked in so far as being able to actually put some muscle on to the bare bones of a "plan" is concerned. Procurement and Supply is said to be a) over-burdened, already; b) hide-bound; and c) technologically challenged.

Finance, it is suggested, will be happy to provide more money for defence when/IF both the procurement system and DND's management (civil and military) are reformed.

Finance, it is suggested, will be happy to provide more money for defence when/IF both the procurement system and DND's management (civil and military) are reformed.

Trying to imagine...

"We held a competition, and this is what we picked."

"Offsets?"

"No."

So, how much of that new money can be used to hire civilians as protect managers, supply managers, and contracting officers?
I wonder if that isn't on some minds. I remember, a few years ago, discussing with a then modestly senior civil servant what the old Department of Munitions and Supply looked like and how it established private and semi-private sector agencies got actually execute programmes.

So, how much of that new money can be used to hire civilians as protect managers, supply managers, and contracting officers?
Hopefully enough to get our procurement sorted out quickly

RUMINT: DND (the MND's office) gave Freeland a fairly hefty proposal ~ several (something in excess of 60) Billion dollars ~ mostly for North American/Arctic defence ~ that was late coming in but that wasn't the problem. Very, very senior officials in Finance and TB and the PMO all agree that DND and Procurement and Supply cannot manage anything more than $6.1 Billion, and they are not sure they can even manage that.

The consensus amongst the bureaucratic grownups is that DND, especially, is totally ph_cked in so far as being able to actually put some muscle on to the bare bones of a "plan" is concerned. Procurement and Supply is said to be a) over-burdened, already; b) hide-bound; and c) technologically challenged.

"You'll get more money once you can staff a proper procurement."

"But we don't have the people or resources to do defence procurement like every other department. We need to have exemptions for defence procurement"

"Yes, but rules are rules..."

VhiCI1JTcNACWBirzqXRW2GD5zo=.gif

Maybe what's needed are slightly different rules for really big "nationally important" projects when validated operational requirements, politics, industrial strategies and big money all collide.

My sense is that the first validated operational requirements is a HUGE problem. I think that some senior officials in the centre (PMO, Finance and TB) think that our admirals and generals want to buy "toys for the boys" rather than what the country actually needs. My sense, again and it's just that, not a fact, is that Wayne Eyre and Frances Allen and all the rest are, simply, not trusted to act in a responsible, professional manner.

Back