• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

So, like the guy they just discarded, and the eminently experienced and qualified, and ideologically similar contender he edged out in the leadership race? Ah.

Meanwhile, Poilievre is at the “angry cell phone video rant while visibly driving a truck” stage of his campaign. Canada is super well served by the CPC’s ability to make smart choices.

So, like the guy they just discarded, and the eminently experienced and qualified, and ideologically similar contender he edged out in the leadership race? Ah.

Meanwhile, Poilievre is at the “angry cell phone video rant while visibly driving a truck” stage of his campaign. Canada is super well served by the CPC’s ability to make smart choices.
As I said in another thread ,the CPC is too busy right now insulting and even in some cases threatening a large number of potential voters to really care about forming a Federal government.
Strange doesn't even begin to cover some aspects of Canadian politics

Curious what "right-wing" and "centrist" mean to people with respect to economic issues.

We're going to have three more years for them to figure it out.

I read somewhere that the US Fed is thinking about at least half a dozen more rate increases. Those could all be the smallest possible value, but given where the start point is, would result in a large relative increase in base rates. Obviously not all underlying factors are the same in Canada; equally obviously, many are. That will affect pretty much every kind of debt, including government-held. Having existed before, surtaxes (on payable income tax) could resurface. That combined with higher mortgage rates and a couple of years of 5%+ inflation knocking peoples' net worth down would refocus a lot of peoples' minds in ways that no-one today can claim to be able to predict.

I read somewhere that the US Fed is thinking about at least half a dozen more rate increases. Those could all be the smallest possible value, but given where the start point is, would result in a large relative increase in base rates. Obviously not all underlying factors are the same in Canada; equally obviously, many are. That will affect pretty much every kind of debt, including government-held. Having existed before, surtaxes (on payable income tax) could resurface. That combined with higher mortgage rates and a couple of years of 5%+ inflation knocking peoples' net worth down would refocus a lot of peoples' minds in ways that no-one today can claim to be able to predict.
Pretty much what I've been expecting since the start of the pandemic-economic crisis. Housing boomed on the basis of temporary affordability...

Let's see how that turns out.

Curious what "right-wing" and "centrist" mean to people with respect to economic issues.
I have no idea either; not sure how being conservative/responsible about spending only what you can afford became political.

I can see the ideological split being in what things are prioritized, but not spending money you don't have shouldn't be in any one spot on the political spectrum. Lots of Conservative governements blow money on their own pork barreling, and some Liberal and NDP governments had balanced budgets.

I don't think people disagree taking on debt and running deficits in certain circumstances, but shouldn't be your only COA, and the pretending it won't catch up to you is silly.

My take
right-wing - balanced budgets, lean /efficient government, US level social programs, minimal tax
Centrist - balanced budgets, lean /efficient government, Scandic level of social programs, progressive but not onerous tax to the level required to deliver
left wing - what's a budget? , we're not in this to make a profit- leave me alone, Scandic level social programs, punitive tax

My take
right-wing - balanced budgets, lean /efficient government, US level social programs, minimal tax
Centrist - balanced budgets, lean /efficient government, Scandic level of social programs, progressive but not onerous tax to the level required to deliver
left wing - what's a budget? , we're not in this to make a profit- leave me alone, Scandic level social programs, punitive tax
So Justin Trudeau is between centrist and left wing then?

I have no idea either; not sure how being conservative/responsible about spending only what you can afford became political.

I can see the ideological split being in what things are prioritized, but not spending money you don't have shouldn't be in any one spot on the political spectrum. Lots of Conservative governements blow money on their own pork barreling, and some Liberal and NDP governments had balanced budgets.

I don't think people disagree taking on debt and running deficits in certain circumstances, but shouldn't be your only COA, and the pretending it won't catch up to you is silly.
FWIW the issue is Canadians want social programs with minimal tax. That's all well and good but when the 200K per year household screams about affordable child care it makes me wonder.....

FWIW the issue is Canadians want social programs with minimal tax. That's all well and good but when the 200K per year household screams about affordable child care it makes me wonder.....
I've always been perplexed by that program. If people couldn't afford kids in the first place... don't have 'em.

Plus, there are significant negative externalities to this program, notably in poorer communities, where pumping out babies becomes preferable to getting a job.

A pretty good opinion piece on what Conservatives would need to do to win. I doubt they do it.
There's a very large number of youngsters out there who aren't voting conservative strictly because of their failures on climate change and environmental protection, but otherwise would.

Back