• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

The hypocrisy (tolerance for protests one supports, and intolerance for others) is expected. I suppose conservatives could be brought around to supporting less tolerance (more law and order), including for protests whose aims they support. But not immediately after the benchmarks set recently (the usual, "you can't pocket your political advantage and then expect me to forego mine").

The truckers were a disorganized mess. I ask again who were they going to talk to? The three current voices are non starters.
We pay MPs, and government officials big money to come up with solutions, if they can't figure out a solution to a problem that minor we are not getting our money's worth out of them.

They could have asked for leaders to identify themselves, extended the olive branch as it were, even set up a location for the self selected leaders to meet outside of the immediate protest area. They instead went to the old reliable "they're a bunch of racists, and I won't talk to them".

Since we are comparing this protest to the indigenous rail protest I took a read in that thread we had a few years ago.

Some interesting arguments made then and now.

Post in thread 'Canada's First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, etc. (merged)'
Canada's First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, etc. (merged)

Post in thread 'Canada's First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, etc. (merged)'

He states "lawful exercise of the Charter". I'm not sure an illegal structure and possibly illegal fuel dump falls under that umbrella. I haven't researched the court rulings on this aspect of the Charter, but my take is we have Freedom Expression, not 'freedom of protest'. Can I build a structure on somebody else's land on a normal day in July and call it expression?

Is this a hill to die on? I'm not sure, and one person's minor offence is another person's 'hang 'em high' event. If I had a store on Wellington and it was peacefully (because I ran out the back door in fear) occupied as a protest headquarters or warming centre, is that expression?

The nub of the argument often boils down to the old saying (sort of) that the freedom of your fist stops at my nose. Is the shack on federal land our collective nose?
We may not have freedom of "protest" but we have freedom of peaceful assembly which covers this.

One person's minor offence could be someone else's hang em high, but to the police it's still just a bylaw.

Including Postmedia/National Post/Sun media, which have never exactly been ... boosters for Team Red? 😉
Given Bonokoski's hit piece above, I'm not sure. There was a time, not that long ago, Sun Media plugged itself as one of the few that wouldn't take grants, so I have no idea what happened. I seldom look much, seriously, at newspapers and news magazines any more. I only pay as much attention as needed in order to post an article I have an opinion on. Not doing so, is a cardinal sin around here. If you have an opinion, people yell for your source, when you give it, it's discounted because someone looks for a biased web site that says they are too far right/left. It really doesn't seem to matter who bribes who, every outlet no matter the direction, will spin the story for their advantage and to gain numbers, which means cash for shareholders. And really, truth in media runs a distant race to the competition for readership. It is all slanted to varying degrees, to a direction that will boost influence and customers. We only hear or read what we like, what makes us feel good or what meets our agenda. Instead of reasoned discussion, or just plain acceptance that someone doesn't hold your same opinion, anything outside our bubble immediately becomes fodder for scorn, derision and labels. You have to nullify and destroy counter opinion. It's a sign of our times and conditioning. We watch news makers attack each other with a zeal that would make Joan of Arc squeamish. We watch major corporations cancel small, insignificant, harmless ordinary people that do nothing more than state or stick to their belief. There's so much more to write about this point, but it won't change anything. We are creatures of the world and the influences around us. Government and big tech/media are responsible for the us v. them attitude we now hold. They treat everyone as morons and feel the need to constantly correct us and vilify those that don't fall into their edicts and demands. I mean, really, you have this great monstrosity of influence, money, politics and a bent for making the world over in his own image. Yet FarceBook will go out of it's way to come down with both feet of it's electronic near monopoly on poor Joe, who might just be a minimum wage earner doing menial tasks to get by. But Zuck will hammer the poor schmuk and throw him in FB jail because he comes home frustrated at the world around him and posts a meme he finds funny. Then the bogus fact police and algorithms hunt him down like a prize bull that has broken through the fence.

Government and media, of all types, are responsible for our cynicism. They have to suffer the impact of the slings and arrows they gave us. When we can't turn on them, we'll turn on each other.

Where was the the surge and contain strategy in Caledonia? OR when statues were torn asunder in Winnipeg?

OHHHH I am so sorry - the laws don't apply there right?

The hypocrisy is thick in this country. And I fear for its existence.
I don’t know, who was running the law enforcement in those areas?

I don’t know, who was running the law enforcement in those areas?
Does it matter? Police chiefs in this country seem to pick and choose who they want to arrest at demonstrations.

An OPP Officer sat with protestors at a rail blockade after HE WAS ORDERED BY A JUDGE to dismantle it.

How about that?

Does it matter? Police chiefs in this country seem to pick and choose who they want to arrest at demonstrations.

An OPP Officer sat with protestors at a rail blockade after HE WAS ORDERED BY A JUDGE to dismantle it.

How about that?
It does. Sloly has no say on what Winnipeg police do or what the RCMP Calidonia detachment does

Is this an Ottawa Police issue or not? If it is then it’s up to them.

Are you not happy then that one police force is actually doing something?

Guns. Yes. Are you really putting that flag on par with the Nazi flag?
No, not at all. My point earlier was in regards to various governments that were or were not gaslighting protestors. GoC is using a Nazi flag and Confederate flags to justify its gaslighting the entire protest. Other situations, arguably far more volitile, where actual guns were openly carried, didn’t see PMJT blanket accusing Canadian First Nations as being a dangerous, disrespectful fringe of Canadian society.

…other than apparently not trying to identify Nazi flag guy, or Confederate flag guys or person-selling-Star-of-David-buttons…

It does. Sloly has no say on what Winnipeg police do or what the RCMP Calidonia detachment does

Is this an Ottawa Police issue or not? If it is then it’s up to them.

Of course not, everyone is cheerleading.

Get those first nations off the rails can easily morph into don't touch the truckers, as the CPC leadership has shown.

And why would the police spend any effort on that?
Because the PM has used those actions to assert that the protesters are an illegitimate fringe of Canadian society, and for which the Ottawa Police Chief has stated an injunction is necessary to remove them, and that he sees the Army as something he would consider as necessary to clear them.

Otherwise, it’s people honking outside of Ottawa City By-Law controlled hours for noise/disturbance and OHTA traffic violations.

But I’m glad you asked the question, because it allows a branch of critical thought:

“If carrying a Nazi or Confederate flag isn’t grounds for a police investigation (to ascertain whether such actions were against the CCC, or subordinate legislations at federal, provincial or municipal level), then why is that enough for the PM to dismiss any or all of the protesters?” 🤔

No, not at all. My point earlier was in regards to various governments that were or were not gaslighting protestors. GoC is using a Nazi flag and Confederate flags to justify its gaslighting the entire protest. Other situations, arguably far more volitile, where actual guns were openly carried, didn’t see PMJT blanket accusing Canadian First Nations as being a dangerous, disrespectful fringe of Canadian society.
Sure.
Because the PM has used those actions to assert that the protesters are an illegitimate fringe of Canadian society, and for which the Ottawa Police Chief has stated an injunction is necessary to remove them, and that he sees the Army as something he would consider as necessary to clear them.

Otherwise, it’s people honking outside of Ottawa City By-Law controlled hours for noise/disturbance and OHTA traffic violations.

But I’m glad you asked the question, because it allows a branch of critical thought:

“If carrying a Nazi or Confederate flag isn’t grounds for a police investigation (to ascertain whether such actions were against the CCC, or subordinate legislations at federal, provincial or municipal level), then why is that enough for the PM to dismiss any or all of the protesters?” 🤔
so the PM trying to make or score political points means that the police chief should take action?

People have pointed out that one nazi Flag is not a crime. It makes your group look like crap though,

Nazi flags aren’t the reason for an injunction or a surge.

I’m sorry but that’s a weak argument.

Back